Steel making timeout and reset is unacceptable!

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Steel making timeout and reset is unacceptable!

Postby Harunobu » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:58 pm

This has been discussed before:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=75149

But why do I need to set an alarm to wake me up in the middle of the night so I can log in and refill the steel crucible with coal?
I literally can't go to sleep normally. Or go to work normally.

I am fine with making steelmaking harder. But this is adsorb. I can't even make steel. The crucible ran out of coal like 5 times now. And I play pretty hardcore. And I timed it during the weekend.

Please just change this. Set it so that if the crucible runs out of fuel, you lose half of your progress, not all of it.

DO SOMETHING OR JUST REMOVE STEEL FFS
Harunobu

Re: Steel making timeout and reset is unacceptable!

Postby Harunobu » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:11 pm

@Jorb @Loftar

DO IT JUST DO IT ALREADY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING AND RAGING ABOUT THIS FOR LITERAL YEARS

Stop making your own player base want to punch a fucking wall just because they didn't schedule their life around a video game.

And if you want to make steel more valuable, then just add some code that detects the presence of any steel or steel item in the vicinity and makes the steelmaking have a chance to fail if there's already a lot of steel around. That will keep the value high.
Because most of the supply of steel comes from factions and larger towns that have a dozen crucibles running and keep them fueled up at all time though botting.

Don't force me to bot your game.

And stop making false lying arguments in defense of this current mechanic.
Harunobu

Postby Sevenless » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:42 pm

So you were the village this round of steel eh?
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby MooCow » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:55 am

With a pretty normal life it should be manageable to log in once every 12 hours for 3 days.

If that's actually impossible for you, then you probably aren't "pretty hardcore". Steel is far far easier than taming AND silk. Are you trying to put in more fuel at exactly 12 hours? What part are you struggling with? You can top up the fuel at any time you like so just top up before you go to sleep, then sleep for less than 12 hours.

Let people with the blacksmith put in 16 or 24 hours of fuel though. I it would be a pretty nice boost
MooCow

Postby Sevenless » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:31 am

Jokes aside, personal thought on a rebalance:

The Nice:
Only needs refueling every 28 hours (once per day + a bit of leeway),
Progress reduced by 24 hours if the crucible goes out instead of losing all progress

The Naughty:
Require coal as fuel, right now you just make a pile of high Q branches for free from junk wood.
Increase the length of time the crucibles need to burn to 1 week.

This would still be annoying and hard work, maintaining the value. But it would be more lenient on refueling failures and IRL schedules. Haven is the kind of game where logging in daily to do stuff is pretty much baked into it, having a full day and a bit to re-fuel seems more than fair given the type of game.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Harunobu » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:37 am

MooCow wrote:With a pretty normal life it should be manageable to log in once every 12 hours for 3 days.

If that's actually impossible for you, then you probably aren't "pretty hardcore". Steel is far far easier than taming AND silk. Are you trying to put in more fuel at exactly 12 hours? What part are you struggling with? You can top up the fuel at any time you like so just top up before you go to sleep, then sleep for less than 12 hours.

Let people with the blacksmith put in 16 or 24 hours of fuel though. I it would be a pretty nice boost

It is not 12 hours. It is 6 or 8. Maybe you mean 12 in-game hours? During the weekend, I literally filled it up just before I got to sleep. Then the next day when I logged in during the afternoon, it was already burned out. I should have woken up and refilled it the first thing in the morning.... If that was just once, that would be fine. But apparently you have to do it 3 to 4 days in a row.

So I can't even get enough metal to make 1 sword. I had it burn down like 4 times already, not even getting it halfway. And yes, I am fucking angry about it because of how stupid this mechanic is. I literally have to set a timer on my phone now to remind me to log in and refill it. That's absurd.

Added annoyance is that I burned through about 40 of my highest q coal, thinking I had more in my mine I could gather. But it turns out most of that coal is 30 quality points lower.

What is this mechanic trying to achieve in the first place? There's like 10 threads in the last 3 years of people being mad and infuriated about it. All I want is to put in some work to eventually get a steel sword so I have the option to maybe kill a bear.
And then when my quality grind is 50 points higher, make a new one. But I can't because the devs want to make a mechanic so a town can't just fill out their entire crew in plate armor or have them spawn brick wall all over the world map. Fine. Make steel rare. But not by having my break my hand while punching a wall.

Just fucking make it lose half the progress when it burns out. It is not hard. And if you are worried about bigger factions having too much of it, dropping the value, think of something else that only affects mass production of steel.
Harunobu

Postby MooCow » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:40 am

Harunobu wrote:It is not 12 hours. It is 6 or 8. Maybe you mean 12 in-game hours? During the weekend, I literally filled it up just before I got to sleep. Then the next day when I logged in during the afternoon, it was already burned out. I should have woken up and refilled it the first thing in the morning.... If that was just once, that would be fine. But apparently you have to do it 3 to 4 days in a row.

As far as I know, it is exactly 12 hours. Real time is roughly 3 times faster than in game time, so it is usually pretty obvious which one is which. It is not only 4 hours, that would be nuts. Is it possible that they were not filled completely? The best way to fill up your steel crucibles is using a wheel barrow.

Harunobu wrote:So I can't even get enough metal to make 1 sword. I had it burn down like 4 times already, not even getting it halfway. And yes, I am fucking angry about it because of how stupid this mechanic is. I literally have to set a timer on my phone now to remind me to log in and refill it. That's absurd.

Timer on the phone is how I do it. It is also how I remember to take the laundry out of the dryer, or I am cooking something in the oven. Using timers to remember stuff feels pretty normal to me. Maybe I just have been here too long XD

Harunobu wrote:Added annoyance is that I burned through about 40 of my highest q coal, thinking I had more in my mine I could gather. But it turns out most of that coal is 30 quality points lower.

Crucibles were typically fueled with wood, not coal. Additionally, I think it is easier to get high q coal from tar kilns, but it you could luck into some real nice black coal. I don't know what is best for your set-up. Using a good tool, you can raise the q for your fuel when you make boards/sticks.

Harunobu wrote:What is this mechanic trying to achieve in the first place? There's like 10 threads in the last 3 years of people being mad and infuriated about it. All I want is to put in some work to eventually get a steel sword so I have the option to maybe kill a bear.
And then when my quality grind is 50 points higher, make a new one. But I can't because the devs want to make a mechanic so a town can't just fill out their entire crew in plate armor or have them spawn brick wall all over the world map. Fine. Make steel rare. But not by having my break my hand while punching a wall.

This mechanic has two functions:
1) It delays steelmaking and makes steel less accessible to hermits. Because it is better to have 10 steel crucibles used once than 1 steel crucibles uses ten times, steel becomes far less available to people that don't have the industry to afford lots of steel crucibles.

2) It makes people want somebody else to make steel for them. Making steel is intentionally cumbersome so people will just say "fuck it, I'll find somebody to do it for me" and trade with those people for steel. It makes steel more valuable as a trade good and keeps steel equipment more exclusive.

Regardless of whether its actually good for the game as a whole, making steel (and silk) is intentionally tedious and annoying. The dev's have made it pretty clear that they generally like it that way.

Sevenless wrote:Jokes aside, personal thought on a rebalance:

The Nice:
Only needs refueling every 28 hours (once per day + a bit of leeway),
Progress reduced by 24 hours if the crucible goes out instead of losing all progress

The Naughty:
Require coal as fuel, right now you just make a pile of high Q branches for free from junk wood.
Increase the length of time the crucibles need to burn to 1 week.

This would still be annoying and hard work, maintaining the value. But it would be more lenient on refueling failures and IRL schedules. Haven is the kind of game where logging in daily to do stuff is pretty much baked into it, having a full day and a bit to re-fuel seems more than fair given the type of game.

Agreed. Anther possible reduction of suffering would be to have progress reverse, rather than instantly reset when out of fuel. Lest say at 2x speed. If you miss the time by 2 mins you loose 4 mins of progress. Having a a full day timer and the consequences for missing a fuel up reduced would both be really nice.
MooCow

Postby Harunobu » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:55 am

Why are you trying to mansplain the game to me?
Harunobu

Postby Harunobu » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:22 am

donbot wrote:cuz ur an emotional woman *dabs* *farts*

How many times do I need to report you? Stop spamming mindless shit in every thread I post. I PMed you so I can get your skull in game and you have ignored me.
But here you are again trying to bully people. Your trash ass fake smart ass has found it's match. Now sit the fuck down, clown-kid!
Harunobu

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas