Sword of Stroms did nothing wrong

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Sword of Stroms did nothing wrong

Postby overtyped » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:32 am

Any chance a mod/jorb can remove this bot derailing my thread?
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby terechgracz » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:05 am

Why you use these AI detectors? Don't you know that all they do is give you probablity that given phrase could be generated from AI model? To put it in layman terms - all it can predict if given input is written in ENGLISH.
terechgracz

Postby Kaios » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:08 am

havenbigagreer wrote:Oh, brace yourselves for the epic saga of PvP enlightenment! Behold the mystical realm where veterans, with their well-practiced muscle memory, navigate the complex dance of button clicks, leaving mere noobs in awe of their otherworldly skills. It's like trying to explain the secrets of the universe to someone who still thinks a mouse is just a furry creature.he basics of their divine art.

Let's not forget the noble cause of making PvP more accessible. Because who cares about intricate strategies and the art of combat when we can simplify it to the point where even your grandma could participate? "PvP for Dummies" should be the new battle cry, ensuring that everyone, regardless of their gaming prowess, can join the ranks of the button-clicking elite.

But otherworldly skills and intricate strategies such as critter clicking, that was a high level of skill expression, right???
Kaios

Postby Gensokyo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:44 pm

Kaios wrote:But otherworldly skills and intricate strategies such as critter clicking, that was a high level of skill expression, right???

Running away is by definition just clicking a few times, yet people get caught before they're even required to drink.
Drinking is by definition just pressing a single button every time you're about to be thirsty, yet people lose distance due to mismanagement or simply by not drinking in the first place.
Clicking on a critter by definition is just waiting for one to pop up and pressing right click on them, yet
Kaios wrote:More often I would have been successful in escaping someone if not for stupid random critters popping up all over and allowing a bad chaser to catch up simply because they can click on a frog.

What word could one use to differentiate the two people here that win and lose depending on their management of said simple systems? What does one lack and the other one have?
Gensokyo

Postby Kaios » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:48 pm

I suppose adding a radius or making the obj bigger to click on would certainly help in that regard for something such as a frog/toad which can be easily missed on forest and swamp, but that's not really the point I was making.

In one of the specific examples I was thinking of I did not even have forager on the character that was being chased, and even though I managed to get the aggressor stuck on or slowed down by trees and such several times during the process they still managed to catch up because of the credo. Getting someone stuck on something in spite of the pathing mechanics in relation to objects now and due to being able to see the path line someone is taking makes it far more difficult than clicking on anything or pressing a button because it requires a bit of quick thinking and precise timing on the part of the one being chased. That is far more of a 'skill expression' than bunny slippers/forager.
Kaios

Postby Dawidio123 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:34 pm

Kaios wrote:I suppose adding a radius or making the obj bigger to click on would certainly help in that regard for something such as a frog/toad which can be easily missed on forest and swamp, but that's not really the point I was making.

In one of the specific examples I was thinking of I did not even have forager on the character that was being chased, and even though I managed to get the aggressor stuck on or slowed down by trees and such several times during the process they still managed to catch up because of the credo. Getting someone stuck on something in spite of the pathing mechanics in relation to objects now and due to being able to see the path line someone is taking makes it far more difficult than clicking on anything or pressing a button because it requires a bit of quick thinking and precise timing on the part of the one being chased. That is far more of a 'skill expression' than bunny slippers/forager.

I think this is the wrong thread to discuss it but anyways.

Speedboost being on forager and especially bunny slippers was retarded and i think everyone can agree with that. That doesn't make the chasing critters speed boost bad in itself, if it was given to everyone by default or on buying some skill like ie. hunting (or make a 5k-150k lp skill called "Persistence hunting" or "Endurance hunting" that gives it so it's not gated by a credo + shoes) it would be 10x better instantly. But, I feel that's not something we can expect from the devs, so at least a revert on the forager buff, not necessarily slippers (as those were very much a client based advantage), would be better than not having anything at all.

Also you don't have to click critter models in game (and on most public clients it's preferable not to), you can click them on a map, and with some map icon managment it's very easy to notice them appear and click them before the person who is chasing you, it's not ideal in high intensity PvP since you'd have to look on the map instead of focusing on the combat itself, but in a scenario when you are trying to run away it's probably even better than the best auras/bigger models.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Kaios » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:26 pm

Yes, I agree that the speed buff itself isn't necessarily a bad thing given the way it was implemented but I still think overall such a system relies heavily on random chance (such as when critters will appear, are they in an ideal direction, etc.) and client customization rather than something purely based on skill.

I've often wondered what it would be like to include speed buffs/debuffs, stuns, or other specialty tactics in the combat mechanics and while I understand those implementations can also be risky and likely to cause more issues than they solve, I think it's still something worth trying at least once. For example, perhaps "dash" would instead increase someone's speed by a factor of X for X seconds, but the cost being a minimum amount of IP and regardless of how much IP one has it consumes the entire amount. Idk, something like that.
Kaios

Postby overtyped » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:10 pm

Kaios wrote:I suppose adding a radius or making the obj bigger to click on would certainly help in that regard for something such as a frog/toad which can be easily missed on forest and swamp, but that's not really the point I was making.

Good custom clients all have that feature, yours didn't?
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas