Let's talk about removal of mov speed bonus from critters

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Let's talk about removal of mov speed bonus from critter

Postby Moonpoppy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:27 pm

MightySheep wrote:I didnt have any friends

¦]
Moonpoppy

Postby vatas » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:02 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:There is no reason to be fixing things that aren't broken when there are broken things to be fixing instead. Revert to the shit people already liked and focus on something people hate.

Granted. I would happily take a patch with critter revert and even one of the handful of features I've requested/bumped recently, rather than have devs spend 3 patches worth of dev time to implement the speed buff fairies.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby azrid » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:49 pm

vatas wrote:
Great Idea Haver Zone: Chasing a Speed Bonus Wisp gives debuff(s) to discourage fighters from using them. Problem: unless you make the debuff a complete cripple, chasers will have some people willingly take the debuff to reach and try to slow down the target so non-debuffed chaser can catch up.

Thinking about it, debuff could only be reduction in grievous damage. Best case scenario, this would introduce a situation where you've basically been caught, you will almost certainly KO, but you can keep running so you get less wounds (debuffed chasers forced to KO you) instead of more wounds or even death from murderous rage b12 boi.

right clicking small animals should reduce weapon damage by 50% for 5 minutes as a debuff
this way skill expression stays and noobs won't die as much
azrid

Postby The_Blode » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:45 pm

Am I suffering from a mental deficiency or is catching shit harder with the change from faster chaser to slower animal?
I feel like the time it takes to run down a rabbit has gone up since this was altered, I'm sure the math supports it, and maybe I'm nuts, but it just feels less productive now
The_Blode

Postby terechgracz » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:13 am

Add beans that cause you to fart periodically, farts would form toxic cloud that makes one who runs into it lose 2x more stamina and lose some shp over time. This would make escaping easier.
terechgracz

Postby maze » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:18 am

MightySheep wrote:Mortal online 2 was harder to get into pvp, life is feudal/wurm extremely grindy and lots of pitfalls hard to get into pvp, conan exiles same story, grindy lots of weird mechanics, harder to get into pvp, myth of empires also have mega grind requirement, last oasis harder to get into pvp, not many noobs just big factiosn with big op machines.

So many games where I worked on (all them but canon and wurm) :geek:
The difference of course is some people might find these games easier then haven and visa versa; and ultimately your character progresses without fear of true death in those games, the average haven player is incapable of regening their self after a death or base wipe.

I notice snail saying the public clients got critter chasing... who's?

the chasing of critters with the instant bunny shoe swap to steelshoes when not casing; there could have been a fix like weapon swaping.

But the ability to click on critters was auto'd, that was not player skill that just botted combat.

The ability to run away from a fight using critters~ sure its harder now; but that critter drop strat and running around with horse to either pick up animals or drop animals to get people out/keep people in combat was a meta gaming issue.

As I see there is no correct fix for speed bonus unless it's an out of combat thing; everything else is meta gamed and automated; again that's not skill.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby Ardennesss » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:51 am

maze wrote:the chasing of critters with the instant bunny shoe swap to steelshoes when not casing; there could have been a fix like weapon swaping.
Doing this would've just resulted in everyone wearing bunny slippers 24/7 if they were outside their walls, wouldn't have changed much other than remove the benefit of auto-swap client code.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:16 am

If people care so much about the bunny slippers IMO make it so you can combine lucky rabbit's foot with steel boots to give it the same bonus as the slippers.

I don't care that much either way, but for me bunny slippers are "fairy dust". I always really liked that when an inexperienced person makes a call on somebody they scream "ahhh he was hussars and a b12", meanwhile when somebody competent is making the same call they say "silk belt, steel boots, forge rings". The first description could be spooky, the second is obviously harmless
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby WowGain » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:17 am

maze wrote:But the ability to click on critters was auto'd, that was not player skill that just botted combat.

this is the lost cause myth of hafen pvp. it simply did not occur and would actively inhibit one's ability to properly maneuver in a fighter if it was to ever be used. get a grip on reality.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby maze » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:24 pm

Ardennesss wrote:
maze wrote:the chasing of critters with the instant bunny shoe swap to steelshoes when not casing; there could have been a fix like weapon swaping.
Doing this would've just resulted in everyone wearing bunny slippers 24/7 if they were outside their walls, wouldn't have changed much other than remove the benefit of auto-swap client code.

the swapping thing was 1/10 of the problem vs the auto chasing features~ you should release your private client ;D

WowGain wrote:
maze wrote:But the ability to click on critters was auto'd, that was not player skill that just botted combat.

this is the lost cause myth of hafen pvp. it simply did not occur and would actively inhibit one's ability to properly maneuver in a fighter if it was to ever be used. get a grip on reality.

:roll: I've already sent loftar and Jorb the videos + explation of how the custom clients worked, automatized it. There is no use in pretending it didn't exist.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas