Farm animals need improvement

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Farm animals need improvement

Postby azrid » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:22 pm

Barbamaus wrote:After how long? It's the only industry that only becomes decent when the game is already dead. They should grow in quality at the same pace as trees at least, then they'd be a bit more useful.

cheese is very useful
horses are very useful
truffles are very nice

I disagree with you that they aren't useful enough.
azrid

Postby stya » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:42 pm

azrid wrote:
Barbamaus wrote:After how long? It's the only industry that only becomes decent when the game is already dead. They should grow in quality at the same pace as trees at least, then they'd be a bit more useful.

cheese is very useful
horses are very useful
truffles are very nice

Horses are useful but breeding them barely makes them more useful because of roads, thingwalls, boats etc...
Truffles are nice but realistically >99% of the people won't go as far as to breed the pigs and get truffles in relevant quantities and qualities.
Cheese is useful, but milk q and qty need to be upgraded quite a bit to really give a significant edge over a 10 10 10 animal, also any upgrade on the animals will take days and days to be seen on the cheese.
stya

Postby Dawidio123 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:48 pm

Horses are mid at best, i honestly rarely use them other than simple A to B movement (ie. going to questgivers that i have no road to) or chasing in pvp, i'd rather go out on a wagon/snekkja/knarr.
Truffles are overpowered mechanic that should be nerfed because it's basically pepper that can be buffed to 900ql by questing a lot and gives no wounds, also incentives botting.

I do agree that cheese is great but as the other poster said, it takes months before the upgrades to animals actually affect the final product in a meaningful way.

Honestly there is no reason for most tamed meats to be so garbage, like pork and pork bollocks are fine (way weaker than previous world), beef has like 1-2 decent (decent as in, not great but better than having to hunt aurochs) recipes, but the rest is complete horseshit just going off base feps that it gives to the food, not to mention it takes months before it can actually compete with anything you can hunt quality wise. But that's an issue not only with tamed meats, A LOT of meat in this game is straight up useless and a waste of satiation if you know the good meat for a recipe, i think overall there should be a bit more variety to it, and tamed meats could use some better recipes to account for their low starting quality (Yeah it would be strong af lategame but who cares, you have cheese lategame, stat grind at that point is so brainless that even a hermit can get to 2k stats if he just grinds cheese).
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Barbamaus » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:19 pm

stya wrote:
azrid wrote:

cheese is very useful
horses are very useful
truffles are very nice

Horses are useful but breeding them barely makes them more useful because of roads, thingwalls, boats etc...
Truffles are nice but realistically >99% of the people won't go as far as to breed the pigs and get truffles in relevant quantities and qualities.
Cheese is useful, but milk q and qty need to be upgraded quite a bit to really give a significant edge over a 10 10 10 animal, also any upgrade on the animals will take days and days to be seen on the cheese.

This says it perfectly.

Also I still think that bones and hides should be the thing to focus on. Cattles should be a great source of quality leather, much better than rabbits or scaly cave anglers :|
Barbamaus

Postby azrid » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:16 pm

dont chase realism
If you make the bone quality competitive with wild animals you kill hunting and another reason to go out is gone
Not only that but you end up with a world where you can only trade for tokens
Right now you can go out to hunt and sell your q200+ bones

Don't kill the hunter profession
azrid

Postby Dawidio123 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:39 pm

azrid wrote:dont chase realism
If you make the bone quality competitive with wild animals you kill hunting and another reason to go out is gone

Tbh anything under 300ql bones is kinda trash tier at this point, idk how long it will take the animals to reach that point but it's not ANYTIME soon. Let's assume you can get +40ql monthly, it would still take 7+ months to reach that point. Someone who actually knows what's realistic monthly animal ql increase feel free to apply the correct numbers.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Barbamaus » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:19 am

I don't think it would kill hunting.
For the first few months, hunting would likely still be of higher quality (with mammoths and marine mammals) than domesticated animals. And even after that point you'd still need to hunt for specific finebones and hides for crafting, as well as specific meats for cooking. Wild animals will always give stuff you can't farm anyway.

We are 3 months in now, what quality are you animals? 50? 60? That's worthless, even for bulk crafting you're better off hunting because of how bad their quality is. It shouldn't be like that.

We do see it very differently on being forced to go outside. Everything else in this game is built around village industry, so why shouldn't this be as well?
I would have maybe agreed if there weren't thingwalls, trails, and charterstones. People don't even walk around for quests anymore, just tp from a npc to the next.
Barbamaus

Postby jock » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:54 am

Domestic animal blow everything out the water. They don't need buffed.
jock

Postby tadeo » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:56 pm

Barbamaus wrote:

I don't think it would kill hunting.
For the first few months, hunting would likely still be of higher quality (with mammoths and marine mammals) than domesticated animals. And even after that point you'd still need to hunt for specific finebones and hides for crafting, as well as specific meats for cooking. Wild animals will always give stuff you can't farm anyway.

We are 3 months in now, what quality are you animals? 50? 60? That's worthless, even for bulk crafting you're better off hunting because of how bad their quality is. It shouldn't be like that.

We do see it very differently on being forced to go outside. Everything else in this game is built around village industry, so why shouldn't this be as well?
I would have maybe agreed if there weren't thingwalls, trails, and charterstones. People don't even walk around for quests anymore, just tp from a npc to the next.

But we have one problem croops quality will not catch up with this new +5 - +15 q especially with this new shit meachanic of wild plants. On previous world in this stage of world turnip has +- 150q or better and now it is like max 90q and top croop exluding grains bcs htable is like 100 q around.
World 2-4 Small steps in hermitting nothing big ¦]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
World 12 Ted Mega Chad Hermit
World 13 Ted Member of Kulwa Village / ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
World 14 Ted Member of Alpaca Farm
World 15 Ted Member of Tempest City
tadeo

Postby Barbamaus » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:21 pm

tadeo wrote:But we have one problem croops quality will not catch up with this new +5 - +15 q especially with this new shit meachanic of wild plants. On previous world in this stage of world turnip has +- 150q or better and now it is like max 90q and top croop exluding grains bcs htable is like 100 q around.

And that's ok. I'd much rather know that feed is what's capping my animal quality, rather than crazy long timers. This would create an incentive to do your best to get higher quality fodder (which u can also make from other stuff btw). Also would likely create a market for high q fodder, which right now is something nobody would ever buy.

Farmers would be pushed to take full advantage of crop timers, and hunters would still be useful to make high q fodder as well especially in the beginning, just like they are for mulch.

The numbers can be adjusted (+5 +15 might be too fast, or not), but the idea is valid imo.

Not sure why you excluded grains from your example, since straw is decent fodder, but even assuming q100 is the top crop right now (which is not, it's higher), I doubt anyone is even close to q100 animals. And that's after 3 months of game, where q100 hide and bones are trash at this point.
Barbamaus

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas