Mining under ocean

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Mining under ocean

Postby Dawidio123 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:11 pm

I get that the whole idea of oceans is to separate players that live on different continents but it's VERY punishing for anyone who lives on an island, and I think island bases are quite neat.
Yes, if you have a big island you probably can progress your industry along for quite a while but at some point you will start running into no more places to mine issues and would force you into making a mining outpost (where you either move all your smelters and so on, or are forced to transport hundreds of ore stockpiles back to your base, which is not that bad considering you could just go with a knarr, fill it up, and then port back but it just seems like a chore).

How about allowing to mine under the high seas once you reach -8 or -9, so it's not something easily accessible from the start, but once you get into the stage where there is no more deeper levels, you could expand your mines under the ocean as to not run out of space.
If you really wanted to make it a pain in the ass you could make it so the supports break more easily under the ocean/just more cave-in tiles/naturally tougher rocks/etc. but tbh i don't sea a reason for it to be any harder than just normal mining.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Re: Mining under ocean

Postby Ardennesss » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:26 pm

+1, the limitation around ocean mining was implemented along with the concept of continents in the first place - when the intent was to make fast travel much more punishing. Since then, many of the other fast travel restrictions including teleporting from continent to continent have been removed, and I think it's fair to reevaluate this limitation as well.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby fallout » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:22 pm

Yeah
fallout

Postby r0ck4ev3r » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:42 am

+0.67; I could see an add for a set number of tiles per level that expand "The sea roars" boarder.

Some stacking function around +[(Level+1)^3]-1 tiles per level, such that: at level 4 you have added about 1 map tile (96 tiles) and at level 9 you added just over 20 map tiles (2016 tiles) from the over world's deep water edge.
"Don't just have an idea- have all of them." ~ Niv-Mizzet
r0ck4ev3r

Postby Barbamaus » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:47 pm

I don't like the idea of mines going below very deep ocean. Immense underground highways crossing the world are not something I wish to see again.

That being said, I do think you should be able to mine below deep water (not very deep), and there should be larger deep water areas around islands, allowing for a decent sized mine.

The mining outpost you mentioned makes me think of another suggestion I read a while back, that focused many industries (including mining) to specific areas of the world, based on which resources spawned or grew in the area. But it's something extremely difficult to deal with, and I doubt would work on haven. But back to your comment, having specific vehicles for mining would help: a wagon and/or a barge that can transport large amounts of ore (without needing to fill 30 chests), would help a lot and be easy to add.
Barbamaus

Return to Critique & Ideas