Fixing Constitution Gear

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Fixing Constitution Gear

Postby Sevenless » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:06 pm

mulamishne wrote:Rework current con gildings into other stats and just don't have the con gildings.

Sevenless wrote:Just replace con stats with a damage reduction gilding.

Like... ac bonus?

% damage reduction was what I was thinking.

If con gear means you'd have 110 hitpoints instead of 100, that's roughly an effective 10% damage reduction. You need to deal 100 * 1.1 damage to kill someone now. So in a sense +10% hp and -10% damage received in a single fight are almost exactly the same thing (yes, I know there's slight differences because math, but for this discussion they aren't important). If we look at the entire picture, including healing, damage reduction is obviously preferable due to smaller wounds healing faster.

That aside: we already have a lot of sources of AC in the game, adding a bunch of AC guildings seems overkill added into the existing system.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Dawidio123 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:55 am

Sevenless wrote:
mulamishne wrote:Rework current con gildings into other stats and just don't have the con gildings.

Like... ac bonus?

If con gear means you'd have 110 hitpoints instead of 100, that's roughly an effective 10% damage reduction. You need to deal 100 * 1.1 damage to kill someone now. So in a sense +10% hp and -10% damage received in a single fight are almost exactly the same thing (yes, I know there's slight differences because math, but for this discussion they aren't important). If we look at the entire picture, including healing, damage reduction is obviously preferable due to smaller wounds healing faster.

That aside: we already have a lot of sources of AC in the game, adding a bunch of AC guildings seems overkill added into the existing system.

Damage reduction is basically AC spelled differently tho, isn't it?
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Sevenless » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:58 pm

Dawidio123 wrote:Damage reduction is basically AC spelled differently tho, isn't it?

% vs flat reduction in damage, they would work differently. Your AC is the total amount of damage that can be reduced. There's formulas for how much damage you need to take to trigger it, but 10AC => max 10 damage reduced.

% damage reduction would apply constantly, and have no upper cap on the total damage it can negate. However, the amount would be quite small (keeping it in line with what the bonus constitution's effect would be).

I'm talking something along the lines of 0.25% or 0.5% damage reduction per gild. Pathetic and meaningless in the early game because lategame with quality and stacking you could probably get 20% damage reduction (utter guess though, I'd have to see how many con gilds there are and what qualities they could hit).
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby landreaum » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:34 pm

I think having a delay before con disapears will only make PVP worse, people will just carry 2 sets of gear, 1 to get the con boost and 1 for the fighting stats, it would create even more toxic pvp.

The fix would be to just ignore stat changes when inside KO protection, but you run into the issue of people still just dumping leeches on you and you just dieing after the TP out instead.

And I think coming out of KO protection with 1 SHP is toxic too, I'm not saying you should coming out with full SHP but even 25% of the remaining HHP you have is better than 1

-edit: the fact that you can wake up from a KO and midges can just love tap you and actually kill you is ridiculous
landreaum

Postby Zyean » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:07 pm

Just make it so if removing con gear would reduce you to 0 HHP, you instead get set to 1 HHP
Zyean

Postby eliminator » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:18 pm

What if wounds hard hp damage is calculated separately for life from gears and life from character's con?

For example, lets say you got 100 life and +50 extra from gear, making you 150 maximum life
You receive 101 damage from wound, now your life cannot regenerate above 49 even if you are in green energy.

The wound will remember character's state and say that it takes 50 life from gear and 51 life from character.

And then you lose your life gear, now you are at 49/100 life

Seems simple enough eh?
eliminator

Postby vatas » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:13 pm

Clemins wrote:Perhaps one way to make CON gildings actually usable is making your actual base CON define your HHP, and any extra CON from gildings or potions just allows you to "overheal" your SHP like a buffer sort of thing. This is a weird example, but kind of how shield HP works in Risk of Rain 2

Simple and elegant :)

This sounds like the easiest solution.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby The_Lich_King » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:25 pm

Sevenless wrote:

Like... ac bonus?

Instead of % damage reduction i've always thought it'd be cool to add gildings that have armor and durability. If you put them on clothes the clothes wouldn't break but the gildings would when durability wears down.

Might be a good alternative to con gildings
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby Dawidio123 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:50 pm

The_Lich_King wrote:Instead of % damage reduction i've always thought it'd be cool to add gildings that have armor and durability. If you put them on clothes the clothes wouldn't break but the gildings would when durability wears down.

90% of gear slots are armor already, I think we should keep gilds as stat boosts instead of making them another required armor slot. I think the proposed "shield" system (while it has its share of issues too) is a bit better of a solution to the issue than just adding more possible armor (and easier to balance).
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby The_Lich_King » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:34 pm

Dawidio123 wrote:
The_Lich_King wrote:Instead of % damage reduction i've always thought it'd be cool to add gildings that have armor and durability. If you put them on clothes the clothes wouldn't break but the gildings would when durability wears down.

90% of gear slots are armor already, I think we should keep gilds as stat boosts instead of making them another required armor slot. I think the proposed "shield" system (while it has its share of issues too) is a bit better of a solution to the issue than just adding more possible armor (and easier to balance).

that's fair, my only issue with the damage reduction or shield issues are that they both feel very arbitrary
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas