Wishlist from an Ender Client User

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Wishlist from an Ender Client User

Postby xyzzy57 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:52 am

I have a wishlist of features I'd really really like to see in the official client, so I wouldn't feel the need to use an unofficial one.

1. Toggle to display object damage. Or a configuration option. It should stay set/unset. Ender's way of displaying this is fine, though it's a single control affecting several different displays.
2. Toggle or configuration options to display crop state, e.g. 1/4 for stage 1 of 4. Trying to remember the subtle differences in appearance is really annoying. Ender's way of displaying this is fine.
3. Ability to increase lighting level overall. I don't *think* the official client has this, though perhaps I simply failed to locate it.
4. When you get an hourglass (task is taking a while), show a % complete.
5. Ability to display a scrollable list of everything in a container, including your inventory, that's sorted by quality within type, and that flattens bundles. You can then use this to select a single item. Thus you can easily pick either the best or worst of a particular type of item in the container. Ender's version of this is good enough, but irritating for containers without much height.
6. (not in ender) Show me what kind of wood a given log is made from; don't require me to memorize individual appearance. I get wood type for blocks. I can get type for trees with examine. Why not logs?
7. the icon selection screen should be capable of grouping the icons, e.g. ender's "critters", "rocks", etc.
8. (not in ender) icon selection should be saved per toon, not per account.
9. There should be two "show radius" toggles. One for mining support radiuses, and the other for farming radiuses. The one for mining radiuses should include the support radius of the initial mine ladder. (Ender has that; official doesn't). Farming (ender only, but uses the same toggle as mining) should include mound beds as well as skeps.
10. Tool tips should give names for anything that has an icon on the mini-map. Flags (and only flags) seem to work this way in the official client. Ender used to have this, but replaced it with always-present text which just clutters the screen.
xyzzy57

Re: Wishlist from an Ender Client User

Postby c1K » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:45 am

xyzzy57 wrote:I have a wishlist of features I'd really really like to see in the official client, so I wouldn't feel the need to use an unofficial one.

1. Toggle to display object damage. Or a configuration option. It should stay set/unset. Ender's way of displaying this is fine, though it's a single control affecting several different displays.
2. Toggle or configuration options to display crop state, e.g. 1/4 for stage 1 of 4. Trying to remember the subtle differences in appearance is really annoying. Ender's way of displaying this is fine.
3. Ability to increase lighting level overall. I don't *think* the official client has this, though perhaps I simply failed to locate it.
4. When you get an hourglass (task is taking a while), show a % complete.
5. Ability to display a scrollable list of everything in a container, including your inventory, that's sorted by quality within type, and that flattens bundles. You can then use this to select a single item. Thus you can easily pick either the best or worst of a particular type of item in the container. Ender's version of this is good enough, but irritating for containers without much height.
6. (not in ender) Show me what kind of wood a given log is made from; don't require me to memorize individual appearance. I get wood type for blocks. I can get type for trees with examine. Why not logs?
7. the icon selection screen should be capable of grouping the icons, e.g. ender's "critters", "rocks", etc.
8. (not in ender) icon selection should be saved per toon, not per account.
9. There should be two "show radius" toggles. One for mining support radiuses, and the other for farming radiuses. The one for mining radiuses should include the support radius of the initial mine ladder. (Ender has that; official doesn't). Farming (ender only, but uses the same toggle as mining) should include mound beds as well as skeps.
10. Tool tips should give names for anything that has an icon on the mini-map. Flags (and only flags) seem to work this way in the official client. Ender used to have this, but replaced it with always-present text which just clutters the screen.

Imagine they added Ard&Amber features, Ender features. Damn. That'd be mindblowing eh
c1K

Postby Antvgr » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:53 am

I think Ard is overbloated, but some ember/kami features like crop state, object damage, mass stacking, etc is a must. Very hard to play without them.
Antvgr

Postby xyzzy57 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:06 am

One more simple convenience that I only just realized the official client lacks:

- The ability to take a specific number of items from a stack, without having to either click the desired number of times or take the whole stack into inventory.

Also missed:

- detailed information on mousing over curios. Not just LP, study time, and weight, but all the useful info you can derive from them.
xyzzy57

Postby vatas » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:41 am

xyzzy57 wrote:- The ability to take a specific number of items from a stack, without having to either click the desired number of times or take the whole stack into inventory.

Assuming you meant "stockpiles", I agree.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby EnderWiggin » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:42 pm

xyzzy57 wrote:5. Ability to display a scrollable list of everything in a container, including your inventory, that's sorted by quality within type, and that flattens bundles. You can then use this to select a single item. Thus you can easily pick either the best or worst of a particular type of item in the container. Ender's version of this is good enough, but irritating for containers without much height.
In latest beta I've added option to set minimum rows for those list inventories.

xyzzy57 wrote:6. (not in ender) Show me what kind of wood a given log is made from; don't require me to memorize individual appearance. I get wood type for blocks. I can get type for trees with examine. Why not logs?
Ender has separate inspect action that shows resource name of any object you point at. As an addition in latest beta default cursor will try to show names of any object you hover.

xyzzy57 wrote:10. Tool tips should give names for anything that has an icon on the mini-map. Flags (and only flags) seem to work this way in the official client. Ender used to have this, but replaced it with always-present text which just clutters the screen.
Tooltips were always shown for all icons on a map. Show text below is just an additional option. Not sure why you may be not having tooltips on map icons, report to my client thread if this indeed still happens.
EnderWiggin

Postby xyzzy57 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:20 am

And another: assuming this isn't simply a bug, could we *please* have dugouts visible on the minimap. From the point of view of an ender user, this really looks like a bug, not merely a missing-and-obvious feature.

And caves, likewise!

I'm really not sure whether their absence is yet another bug.
xyzzy57

Postby xyzzy57 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:16 am

EnderWiggin wrote:
xyzzy57 wrote:5. Ability to display a scrollable list of everything in a container, including your inventory, that's sorted by quality within type, and that flattens bundles. You can then use this to select a single item. Thus you can easily pick either the best or worst of a particular type of item in the container. Ender's version of this is good enough, but irritating for containers without much height.
In latest beta I've added option to set minimum rows for those list inventories.

Nice improvement, Ender.

I love your client, and have used it since I resumed playing in 2021.

This list is compared to the official client. I've been using it for several days, thanks to a series of issues with yours, and collecting a list of things I really want in order to have a decent experience; unsurprisingly, many of them amount to "why can't the official client import all these features from Ender's?"

I've been toying with the idea of downloading the source for the official client myself, learning java (*sigh*), and implementing the minimum I want to play happily. This post is in some ways a preliminary spec for that project I really don't want to do.

Ender has separate inspect action that shows resource name of any object you point at.

Separate from the magnifying glass icon? I don't think I've ever noticed it. I need to look, once I reinstall your client again.

As an addition in latest beta default cursor will try to show names of any object you hover.

I'm almost tempted to try the beta just for that, even though I really value stability.

xyzzy57 wrote:10. Tool tips should give names for anything that has an icon on the mini-map. Flags (and only flags) seem to work this way in the official client. Ender used to have this, but replaced it with always-present text which just clutters the screen.

Tooltips were always shown for all icons on a map. Show text below is just an additional option. Not sure why you may be not having tooltips on map icons, report to my client thread if this indeed still happens.

I may have missed that I could turn off the always visible labels.
xyzzy57

Postby xyzzy57 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:25 am

EnderWiggin wrote:... report to my client thread if this indeed still happens

I'm currently very worried about corruption of directory(ies) shared by all(?) clients. ($HOME/.haven/data on Mac and linux; I forget where it is on Windows.) I've had to reinitialize that directory twice in the past 3 days - every time I run your client, it seems to do something there which causes the official client to misbehave next time I run it.

Reinitializing from scratch takes a long time, and you lose the contents of your map, if you haven't exported it while you still had at least one client that would let you log in one of your toons.

And of course every time I encounter an apparent bug in your client, the first thing I need to do is to check whether the official client shows the same problem, to know where to report it.

Fortunately, there are easier ways to recover than reinitializing from scratch. I can, for example, do a backup of the directory while only one client has been used with it, and restore that backup when the directory gets trashed. I've already gone through that cycle once. But it's still a time consuming nuisance.

I've posted about this in your thread, querying whether other people affected by the same symptoms as me had been switching between ender and official clients. But that message was DOA; no responses.

It's looking as if the only safe way to use two clients on the same machine involves 2 separate copies of the "shared" directory, renamed when one switches clients, along with exporting and then importing one's map on each switch.

I'm currently waiting for bug reports on the ender thread to die down, while watching the experience of a village mate who yesterday found herself having to totally re-instal the ender client form scratch. (She got away with only deleting the directory it was in, fortunately, so didn't lose her map.)

Once that happens, I'll see about reinstalling the ender client with its very own copy of $HOME/.haven/data

Meanwhile I'm currently unhappily using the official client, and lobbying for improvements to it.
xyzzy57

Postby c1K » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:38 am

xyzzy57 wrote:Meanwhile I'm currently unhappily using the official client, and lobbying for improvements to it.

as many have mentioned and I'll just reiterate. Many people would've been happy if let's say for 1 world length all server-side development stopped and vanilla client just merged in, reimplemented or improved custom-clients' functionality. Bot support etc will never be there, however many other features everyone is just dying for: many sessions support, plant growing stage to name the least, not sure if toggling circles around you and every "creature" is possible in vanilla too, removing trees etc, flatten cupboards etc.

Jobtar have so much QoL features to implement in vanilla, but for every 10 features that are done in 1.5 working client rn, only 0.1 get their way to vanilla. Why? Just why? I'm sure many people would've gladly switched to vanilla if it offered MORE things.

Botting is a topic on its own and seems like Jorb doesn't follow his philosophy on mechanics+botting, however I'm not here to judge.

The greatness of custom clients has always been in what they offer comparing to vanilla, but those custom clients and their devs burn out by constant merge hell they have to go through. Ungrateful and entitled people, and many many more reasons.

I used ender client, then amber until it shut down to find out about ard. I switched to cerdiner's build and I can't describe how happy I am that guy just keeps working on it.

No offence to the EnderWiggin, but I am not particularly fond of your client, that to me looks like a minor improvement of a vanilla one, I personally always preferred having more things that I currently need JUST IN CASE I EVER NEED THEM, which clients I've mentioned always provided. However, I think you have done a monumental work, especially keeping this up for about a decade. Good job and good luck man.
c1K

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas