Java 8 compatibility

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Java 8 compatibility

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:32 pm

vatas wrote:I have cheap laptop running windows XP with Java 8. Attempting to open default client brings up "do you trust this application/publisher" but never launches the login screen. Custom clients open up window that is completely black.

While weird, that is at least highly unlikely to be due to Java 8.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Sevenless » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:52 pm

romovs wrote:Quite a few people (at least 6 that I know of) are still using 1.6 because of that notorious Mac OS X mouse issue.

That's what I was referring to. I know of at least one person doing that as well.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:03 pm

I think its time to move to java 8. If you own pc that can run HnH it can also run java 8.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby borka » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Sevenless wrote:
romovs wrote:Quite a few people (at least 6 that I know of) are still using 1.6 because of that notorious Mac OS X mouse issue.

That's what I was referring to. I know of at least one person doing that as well.

What is that "notorious Mac OS X mouse issue" ? On what OS X versions and how is it connected to Java?
borka

Postby romovs » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:32 pm

borka wrote:What is that "notorious Mac OS X mouse issue" ? On what OS X versions and how is it connected to Java?

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=39840
romovs

Postby borka » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:10 pm

ty romovs ... missed that

sadly only few ppl give OS X version infos ...

wonder if it's related
borka wrote:Only OS X Users with older than 10.7.3 (Lion) will be in trouble because Apple doesn't support API changes (Window Server) needed for Java 8 in older versions
Last edited by borka on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
borka

Postby _Gunnar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:12 pm

Yeah, if you do decide to go to java 8, which if you can optimize better would obviously be wonderful, please figure out what is going on here first...
Edit: it is not to do with color depth, as far as I can figure out. There is no way to even put yosemite (have not upgraded to el Capitan yet) into less than 32bit color, I think. My guess is that it is apple's fault, their java version is installed very deep in the system and even if you install java 8 it still maybe keeps some things to do with their "special" version, which breaks some stuff.

Edit: Borka, not true - I'm on yosemite.
_Gunnar

Postby impendio » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:54 am

I can confirm that the client is still unplayable with java 8 on mac, java 6 with workarounds works for both the default client and amber's for java 6.
impendio

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:47 am

impendio wrote:I can confirm that the client is still unplayable with java 8 on mac, java 6 with workarounds works for both the default client and amber's for java 6.

Thoisands of other olayrrs have to suffer due few Apple men?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby APXEOLOG » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:36 pm

I think Java 8 will be good for most of users. Some statistics: Shovel requires Java 8 by default, and from ~300 first release downloads only 3-5 reported error with wrong Java version, so i assume most of ppl already have Java 8 installed.
W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower