Java 8 compatibility

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Java 8 compatibility

Postby vatas » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:38 pm

borka wrote:@vatas
did legacy run on it? What Specs?

Got it really cheap after Hafen launched for autostudying.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1550122,00.asp
1.6-GHz Intel Pentium M; 512MB of RAM; 40GB hard drive; 15-inch SXGA LCD; DVD/CD-RW drive; ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 graphics card; multibay slot; Secure Digital memory slot; HP W500 802.11a/b/g; Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

Now that I think of it, having only half a gigabyte of memory might be the issue and its generally quite obsolete. Any way to make it extend RAM with HDD? (naturally making it run slower)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby borka » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:05 pm

You can't extend RAM with HDD - only RAM extends RAM ;)

It's got an Intel 855PM (AAfaik) MCH chipset which allows DDR 200/266 MH RAM memory SO Dimms (Stepping B1 - SL752 - even 333 Mhz) and allows up to 2 GB - so it's better to get 2 x 1024 DDR 266 (512 Stacked) PC2100 SO Dimms ...

just look at what Dimm is in there to see what Brand is compatible (i do recommend Samsung, Infineon or Kingston) - prolly you could get unused RAM at ebay too for max. 15 bucks for 2x1 GB
borka

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:40 pm

borka wrote:You can't extend RAM with HDD - only RAM extends RAM ;)

It's got an Intel 855PM (AAfaik) MCH chipset which allows DDR 200/266 MH RAM memory SO Dimms (Stepping B1 - SL752 - even 333 Mhz) and allows up to 2 GB - so it's better to get 2 x 1024 DDR 266 (512 Stacked) PC2100 SO Dimms ...

just look at what Dimm is in there to see what Brand is compatible (i do recommend Samsung, Infineon or Kingston) - prolly you could get unused RAM at ebay too for max. 15 bucks for 2x1 GB

Can you even buy 11 year old ram sticks anyehere?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby borka » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:12 pm

Sure you can buy 11 yr old Ram anywhere (oh and even much older) ... if it makes sense to buy 11 yr old is a different thing :roll: as long you can buy new and unused

i.e.
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct12864x335

or what he exactly needs (offer from Hongkong)
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Samsung-2GB-2x1G ... 0796265675
borka

Postby vatas » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:08 pm

@borka Sorry for phrasing it badly, I ment virtual RAM in HDD.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby borka » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:51 pm

yep vatas i got that - but virtual memory only runs at slow speed of HDD so it's not a real substitute for RAM, besides the fact that read and write operations can't happen at the same time on HDD virtual memory which is another slow down (you can speed it up a little bit by having the virtual memory on a secnd HDD but that would be difficult with a single HDD NB - and a USB HDD wouldn't help with that)

in very simple words:

you have different speeds how data gets accessed by the processor

CPU build in L1, L2, L3 Cache is the fastest, (where L1 is fastest) - (not all CPUs have all 3 L cache - years ago the L2 was on the mainboard)
RAM
built in HDD (virtual memory)
HDD storage

so now the Processor needs something it's looking whether it's in L1 - if not it looks at L2 - if not in L2 it looks at L3
if neither in L1, L2, L3 it looks at RAM
if it's als not in RAM it looks at virtual memory
basicly lesser needed (not often or for long time not asked) is going (swapped) to virtual memory

not to confuse with RAMdisk which is a virtual HDD in RAM (when you have loads of it and drop Windows virtual memory on that virtual HDD)
borka

Postby aislin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:53 am

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBQ ... e=UTF8&me= is the machine i wanted to have dedicated to hafen but alas, it goes thru the motions and crashes when loading map files. I'd love to fix that but I have my beast of a laptop for playing atm.

I only kept my java outdated for classic haven....I dont even think i have 7 on my computer any longer.
aislin

Postby borka » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:56 am

Lighting Fast Intel Quad-Core Z3735 1.33 GHz Processor with 2GB RAM
Other Technical Details
Brand Name Asus
Series Transformer T100TA
Item model number T100TAF-B1-BF
Hardware Platform Mac
Operating System Windows 8.1
... miracle miracle ... :o oh and 32 Bit Windows ... :x

If your "beast of a laptop" isn't a Mac there's no reason for an "outdated" Java (even for legacy) ...
borka

Postby jaguar » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:01 pm

loftar wrote:I notice there are a few people out there still using Java versions prior to 8, and I'd like to pose the question how important that is to you.

I've long tried to keep the client source code at Java 5 compatibility, but there are a few things I'd like to start working on, not least related to client optimization, that would find a far nicer implementation with some Java 8 features (particularly default methods), so I'm strongly considering making the client require Java 8.

In case there are those of you running Java pre-8 because you think Windows XP doesn't support Java 8, then as far as I can tell, that's not true. Java 8 seems to work just fine on Windows XP; it's just that it doesn't have official blessing.

It is important.
And we still waiting solution for macs, to use java 8 instead of 6 :)
jaguar

Previous

Return to The Wizards' Tower