Java 8 compatibility

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Java 8 compatibility

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:29 am

I notice there are a few people out there still using Java versions prior to 8, and I'd like to pose the question how important that is to you.

I've long tried to keep the client source code at Java 5 compatibility, but there are a few things I'd like to start working on, not least related to client optimization, that would find a far nicer implementation with some Java 8 features (particularly default methods), so I'm strongly considering making the client require Java 8.

In case there are those of you running Java pre-8 because you think Windows XP doesn't support Java 8, then as far as I can tell, that's not true. Java 8 seems to work just fine on Windows XP; it's just that it doesn't have official blessing.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Java 8 compatibility

Postby Sevenless » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:21 am

Ultimately at some point the benefit for the many outweighs the requirements of the few.

Question: Are you running into mac users who had to downgrade their java in order to play Haven? I have a friend who had to go through all kinds of hoops to get the game running. Most people who run into the "dreaded mac" issue we just tell them they're SOL in help, although I know some arduous workaround exists I've yet to see it posted publicly.

Edit: worth noting I'm not sure if that got fixed or not, but people who downgraded to play might still be downgraded all the same.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby borka » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:36 am

edited filth
Last edited by borka on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
borka

Postby Mashadar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:41 am

Ubuntu 14.04 comes with Java 7 (and by extension Linux Mint, its most popular derivate), so it's necessary to find a PPA with a Java 8 JRE and another with the JDK if you want to compile the client yourself. However, that's a relatively minor and short-lived problem (since the next release is only a few months away), so it's better to look into the future.

And besides, I think client optimization takes priority over anything else. The current situation makes it hard for many people to play the game, me included.
Mashadar

Postby borka » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:49 am

edited filth
Last edited by borka on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
borka

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:52 am

borka wrote:Debian

For Debian, Java 8 is the default in Stretch, and can be found in backports for Jessie. Wheezy is out of luck, however.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby borka » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:03 am

edited filth
Last edited by borka on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
borka

Postby vatas » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:20 am

I have cheap laptop running windows XP with Java 8. Attempting to open default client brings up "do you trust this application/publisher" but never launches the login screen. Custom clients open up window that is completely black.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby borka » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:13 pm

edited filth
Last edited by borka on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
borka

Postby romovs » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Quite a few people (at least 6 that I know of) are still using 1.6 because of that notorious Mac OS X mouse issue.
romovs

Next

Return to The Wizards' Tower