Laptop Purchase

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Laptop Purchase

Postby Porterwake » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:12 pm

My current Sony Vaio has an intel 3 and I cannot run Hafen on it. I have to run it from my MacBook Pro that I get issued as a teacher.
Porterwake

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:20 pm

Porterwake wrote:My current Sony Vaio has an intel 3 and I cannot run Hafen on it. I have to run it from my MacBook Pro that I get issued as a teacher.

Not intels fault. AMD of same price and age wouldnt help a bit.Thats like buying smartphone, throwing it on ground. And then crying why screen is broken. and that next time you buy different brand phone.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jason1982 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:38 pm

whats your clock on your intel
jason1982

Postby jason1982 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:47 pm

the best intel I found clocks at 3.8 my amd out of box clocks at 4.72 ghz amd fx 9590 amd has always been a better gaming processor
jason1982

Postby romovs » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:12 pm

Clock speed by itself doesn't tell much about performance of different CPU lines. [1, 2]

Intel has been in-front of AMD since 2007 (? or whenever the C2D was released) in the performance-power consumption area and by the looks of things it's questionable whether AMD will ever surpass them again.
Some AMDs had better iGPU than Intel and have cheaper multi-core options but that pretty much it afaik.

Unless you are on a budget, laptop with amd is not the best choice.
romovs

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:20 pm

romovs wrote:Clock speed by itself doesn't tell much about performance of different CPU lines. [1, 2]

Intel has been in-front of AMD since 2007 (? or whenever the C2D was released) in the performance-power consumption area and by the looks of things it's questionable whether AMD will ever surpass them again.
Some AMDs had better iGPU than Intel and have cheaper multi-core options but that pretty much it afaik.

Unless you are on a budget, laptop with amd is not the best choice.

Exactly, clock ghz doesnt define how good performance processor has. But advertising has made you think that more ghz means more power. Which it doesnt necessarily even mean.
Same thing with some other stuff especially on factory built desktops/laptops. They advert it with stuff like "4,8megazhigozwazz processor from new sktfall2069 over9000 ediTION". Normal consumer thinks " oh this must be best gaming pc on market, it even costs 1000€" and then you buy it. But they have put in very bad parts and their softwares to slow down it over time.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Glorthan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:46 pm

shubla wrote:Exactly, clock ghz doesnt define how good performance processor has. But advertising has made you think that more ghz means more power. Which it doesnt necessarily even mean.

But more GHz does mean more power... From the power socket ¦]
Glorthan

Postby Porterwake » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:23 pm

shubla wrote:
Porterwake wrote:My current Sony Vaio has an intel 3 and I cannot run Hafen on it. I have to run it from my MacBook Pro that I get issued as a teacher.

Not intels fault. AMD of same price and age wouldnt help a bit.Thats like buying smartphone, throwing it on ground. And then crying why screen is broken. and that next time you buy different brand phone.

That is a pretty awful metaphor. Try to be more constructive.
Porterwake

Postby hitori » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:34 am

shubla wrote:
jason1982 wrote:intel sucks balls get a amd

Porterwake wrote:I understand that Hafen has some issues with intel. Is this true?

I have Intel. And i have never faced any issues with haven or any other stuff. You are probably heard propaganda from poor russians that cant afford intel. ¦]

I bet the "Intel issues" thing is all about integrated Intel HD graphics and not the CPU itself
hitori

Postby borka » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:32 pm

^^ This and mainly some driver problems with OGL - where often especially Notebook manufacturers only offer their crippled drivers and disallow to use the Intel ones. But i'd say you're good to go nowadays with any newer Notebook having i3,i5,i7 with integrated in ... while at Notebooks with AMDs CPU /APU you have to take very deep look at the specs ... with an extra dedicated you'll prolly run into less problems ...

@Porterwake: PM the model number from bottom plate of your Vaio please
borka

Previous

Return to The Wizards' Tower