World Map

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: World Map

Postby Procne » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:51 am

I have done some exploration, through vortexes as well, and on separate characters. So I have quite some amount of disjointed maps from all over the world. How does the uploader handle it? Do I have some control over which maps are sent? I know where some of those maps are in the world map, how can I point out where they are? Can I somehow skip sending the tiles in my immediate area?

Lastly, is there some tool for managing the game cache tiles? Like merging them from different accounts and exporting as an image?
Procne

Postby NeoBasilisk » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:55 am

shubla wrote:
bmjclark wrote:
shubla wrote:Pity indeed, but I guess it's a necessary evil for supporting many clients.
Perhaps data with ridges could also be accepted and then prioritized over non-ridge data.

Loftars in game map (different from the minimap), which is where he's getting this data from, doesn't store ridges on any of the publicly available clients including yours. I don't know where you think he can get data with ridges from.

Amber client includes a feature which allows you to save maptiles to disk, and these maptiles include ridges.

I assume a lot of people have this turned off since the addition of the ingame map. I know I have at least, since I got annoyed at having to keep cleaning up the thousands of sub-directories it made.
NeoBasilisk

Postby algeralith » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:53 pm

Procne wrote:I have done some exploration, through vortexes as well, and on separate characters. So I have quite some amount of disjointed maps from all over the world. How does the uploader handle it? Do I have some control over which maps are sent? I know where some of those maps are in the world map, how can I point out where they are? Can I somehow skip sending the tiles in my immediate area?

Lastly, is there some tool for managing the game cache tiles? Like merging them from different accounts and exporting as an image?

There really is no control given. The uploader will just blanket send each segment to the server, and the server will then try to determine where the segment belongs.

Also, I'm not aware of any tool that manages the game cache tiles.
algeralith

Postby Procne » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:16 pm

algeralith wrote:
Procne wrote:I have done some exploration, through vortexes as well, and on separate characters. So I have quite some amount of disjointed maps from all over the world. How does the uploader handle it? Do I have some control over which maps are sent? I know where some of those maps are in the world map, how can I point out where they are? Can I somehow skip sending the tiles in my immediate area?

There really is no control given. The uploader will just blanket send each segment to the server, and the server will then try to determine where the segment belongs.

Also, I'm not aware of any tool that manages the game cache tiles.

Ok, thanks.

I see there's source available, so maybe I'll take a look at that
Procne

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:17 pm

If you're concerned about someone seeing "your" location, you're better off sending the information than not. Holes in information are more suspect than random noise. Given enough uploads, someone will likely upload the sections you don't want loaded, anyway, making the effort to not upload the information frivolous.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:26 pm

You can censor your place from the map if you send maps yourself.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby algeralith » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:12 am

I went ahead and made a version of the map with simplified tiles. Let me know what you guys think.
It's already been suggested that I consider making it the default, though I'm not sure.

Take a look
https://odditown.com/haven/map/#&simple=true
algeralith

Postby voiddancer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:09 am

Tell me please, how do you solve the problem of mixing tiles? Like caves on the surface.
voiddancer

Postby Glorthan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:24 am

The simplified map is definitely a lot nicer for oceans.

I think it could use a legend for the biome types to simplified colour, the non-simple map is easier to match with the wiki pictures.
Glorthan

Postby mvgulik » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:36 am

algeralith wrote:I went ahead and made a version of the map with simplified tiles. Let me know what you guys think.
It's already been suggested that I consider making it the default, though I'm not sure.

Take a look
https://odditown.com/haven/map/#&simple=true

Definitely looks nice and clean to me.

When it comes to texturing ground types. One could opt for applying them to some ground types less pronounced. (like Base_color + N% texture)
Water ... 0% texture I think.
mvgulik

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower