Any custom client for Legacy

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Any custom client for Legacy

Postby Neko343 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Gensokyo wrote:You need to make your own .bat file, it's easy to just open up notepad, copy paste the stuff above (and possibly tweak it to work for you) save as > all files > File name: chooseyourfilename.bat and save in the folder where your updater and haven.jar are.

Okay, apparently the Ender client hates me or I'm just not doing something right...
I successfully created a run.bat file on both my Windows 8 and Windows XP computers using your instructions and the text in the post above, but even with all my tweaking it doesn't work 100% properly. Here's the text I used for the bat.files (tried multiple .bat files with multiple codes, since my Windows is also in german):

For Windows 8:
"C:\Programme (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_131\bin\java.exe" -Xms512m -Xmx512m -jar haven.jar legacy.havenandhearth.com (Gives me a 'Connection refused: connect' message when running the haven.jar and when running updater.jar, it freezes while connecting. Running the .bat file does nothing.)
C:\Programme (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_131\bin\java.exe -Xms512m -Xmx512m -jar haven.jar legacy.havenandhearth.com (Got rid of the " just to test it out. Gives me a 'Connection refused: connect' on haven.jar and crashes with updater.jar. The .bat file still does nothing when running it.)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -Xms512m -Xmx512m -jar haven.jar legacy.havenandhearth.com (Haven.jar still gives me the error message and updater.jar still crashes. .bat file does nothing.)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe -Xms512m -Xmx512m -jar haven.jar legacy.havenandhearth.com (.bat file still does nothing and haven.jar still gives me the error message. Updater.jar freezes while connecting, just like with the first code.)

So, as you can see, it just refuses to work on Windows 8. I actually got it to work with Windows XP (guess my Ender client just hates Windows 8) using both the following codes and running the .bat file itself, instead of running haven.jar or updater.jar:
"C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms512m -Xmx512m -jar haven.jar legacy.havenandhearth.com
C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe -Xms512m -Xmx512m -jar haven.jar legacy.havenandhearth.com
It actually works a little better than before, because now I can load all my old characters without problems, something the Ender client refused to do before (at least as long as I load them at my hearthfire or somewhere in the wilderness; if I load them where I last logged off, it sometimes refuses). I also can sometimes travel back to my hearthfire, without the game crashing and throwing me back to the login screen (other than the standard client which throws me to the login screen everytime).
Only problem is, the map is still kinda messed up (as seen here http://imgur.com/iWwOc10) and the game still throws me to the login screen every time I exit/enter a house, which is both annoying and a problem I had with the standard client as well (as discussed here viewtopic.php?f=39&t=40052&p=738578#p738578). Can't say if the Ender client crashes at other points as well, since I haven't tested it out that long yet.

So in short it refuses to work on Windows 8, works on Windows XP, but still gives me some rather annoying problems. And I don't know what else to do now.
Neko343

Postby Gensokyo » Fri May 26, 2017 7:02 pm

I'd suggest replacing the "C:/..." with "start javaw" instead, as I'd assume Windows 8 doesn't like direct linking, the map being messed up is the simplemap rendering, I think you can disable it by pressing the little map icon on your minimap.
Also heavily suggest doing -Xms512m -Xmx2048m or something, as Java is a poopscoop about RAM.
Gensokyo

Postby Neko343 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Gensokyo wrote:I'd suggest replacing the "C:/..." with "start javaw" instead, as I'd assume Windows 8 doesn't like direct linking, the map being messed up is the simplemap rendering, I think you can disable it by pressing the little map icon on your minimap.
Also heavily suggest doing -Xms512m -Xmx2048m or something, as Java is a poopscoop about RAM.

Okay, tried four different codes with Windows 8 with the following results:
"start javaw" -Xms512m -Xmx2048m -jar haven.jar legacy.havenandhearth.com (Same as before. Haven.jar gives me a 'Connection refused: connect' message, updater.jar crashes and the .bat file does nothing.)
"start javaw" -Xms512m -Xmx512m -jar haven.jar legacy.havenandhearth.com (Same as the one before.)
start javaw -Xms512m -Xmx2048m -jar haven.jar legacy.havenandhearth.com (Almost the same as the other two, except that updater.jar freezes while connecting, instead of crashing.)
start javaw -Xms512m -Xmx512m -jar haven.jar legacy.havenandhearth.com (Now the last one's kind of a breakthrough. Haven.jar and updater.jar still behave the same as before by crashing and displaying an error message, but this time the .bat file actually worked and started the game as normal - only to crash everytime I log in.)

So far the last code seems the most promising, but I don't know what else to change, since I'm a total beginner with this kind of stuff.

Edit:
I actually tried something out for fun and I'm not sure if this could be linked to my problem:
I have two folders for the Ender client. One with only the updater.jar I downloaded back then and one with all the following unpacked files I listed in this post (viewtopic.php?f=49&t=52027#p739409). I always have the habit, whenever I download something, to leave the original exe, zip or in this case the updater.jar I downloaded in a seperate folder.
Now just for the heck of it I created a third new folder, copied the updater.jar from the first folder in it and unpacked it there, to get a new unpacked client (as I used the client mostly under XP back then and suspected that there might be some settings in the files from XP that could clash with Windows 8). And I noticed something odd with the third folder after unpacking: There was no windows.conf or haven-res.jar file in it like in the second folder.
I started the updater.jar file several times to unpack all the files, but it always gives me every file but the windows.conf and haven-res.jar one. I tried starting the haven.jar file as usual, figuring it just needed to create these two files when first starting the game, but neither would haven.jar work, nor would it create these files. I copied the working run.bat file I mentioned above in this post into the folder and tried starting it, but it too would not work - despite working in my other folder.
But as soon as I copied the windows.conf and haven-res.jar files from my second folder into the third, the haven.jar and run.bat files would start as normal (but still crap out while logging in). So now I'm wondering if it might be a problem with these two files.

The haven-res.jar file gives me too much scrambled text in editor to work with, but I copied what the windows.conf file gives me:
#Window config options
#Fri Mar 13 19:41:36 CET 2015
toolbar2_folded=true
toolbar2_pos=(1042, 441)
toolbar3_folded=true
toolbar3_pos=(1107, 186)

What do you guys think?
Neko343

Previous

Return to The Wizards' Tower