Client performance rant

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Client performance rant

Postby Onep » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:47 am

Nice work fellas! Sort out those programmomancy problems!
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby Gray » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:19 am

If the problem is in the cattle, just add barns and stables first.
Since they are in another instance the animals wont hurt fps.

Also, as much as it pains me to say this, I suspect people with shitty PCs are a bit of this game's niche.
Even more so with the old H&H.
Gray

Postby Granger » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:58 am

Gray wrote:If the problem is in the cattle, just add barns and stables first.
Since they are in another instance the animals wont hurt fps.

Which would just move the problem to the future, as IIRC here is the goal of house interiours being in the same world as the world (instead of being a pocket dimension as of now).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Gray » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:12 pm

That would be sweet, although I hope we cant see inside a house, unless using the windows or something. Barns and stables would still be worth adding regardless.
Gray

Postby loftar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 am

Granger wrote:IIRC here is the goal of house interiours being in the same world as the world (instead of being a pocket dimension as of now).

While that is true, I would like to make that so that the interior of houses are hidden until entering them either way. It's nice to be able to hide stuff.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Gray » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:04 am

What about seing whats behind walls? Or even behind other tall objects such as trees?
I wonder how the game would be like if it had a field of vision working like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OXvIj8l5Sk
I presume it would be impossible to code due to prevalence of custom clients and im not even sure it would be fun, unless you had movement sounds for all creatures.
Gray

Postby shubla » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:25 am

Gray wrote:What about seing whats behind walls? Or even behind other tall objects such as trees?
I wonder how the game would be like if it had a field of vision working like this:
I presume it would be impossible to code due to prevalence of custom clients and im not even sure it would be fun, unless you had movement sounds for all creatures.

Its not impossible to code, probably. Only send client things that server wants it to see and something similar to Dwarf Fortress adventure mode could be accomplished.
Performance is more of an issue. Server checking all the time what things player should see and what things he shouldn't while hundreds of players are online moving all around sounds quite resource-intensive.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby ekzarh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 am

Gray wrote:What about seing whats behind walls? Or even behind other tall objects such as trees?

Great game! Loved it.
Unfortunately
If it is client-check only - all kinds of radars will appear to show privileged players things that others cant.
If it's server based - it means checks should be done for each movement of each player.

I'm a little bit out of context but
Regarding seeing around player when it is behind a wall there was a nice way of adding 'always visible' circle around a player. 1.5x-2x of player size. It is rather safe to do on client since doe not give an opportunity to make radar software.

Regarding seeing inside houses you can check Arcanum screenshots. Server-wise objects render-list can be separated to 'inside' and 'outside' ones. For outside server already does distance check to build a renderlist. For inside it can be 'house-id' check.

And no, you cannot mess with network packets to see what's inside a house far from you.

Because, AFAIK, client does not send player position to server. It sends 'move' and destination to move there while server on next 'tick' sends new player position back to client
ekzarh

Postby Granger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:59 am

shubla wrote:

Its not impossible to code, probably. Only send client things that server wants it to see and something similar to Dwarf Fortress adventure mode could be accomplished.
Performance is more of an issue. Server checking all the time what things player should see and what things he shouldn't while hundreds of players are online moving all around sounds quite resource-intensive.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57609 - somewhere in that topic. Would need resources (and most likely a server that can be distributed), but doable.
And would be extremely cool.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby ekzarh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Granger wrote:viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57609 - somewhere in that topic. Would need resources (and most likely a server that can be distributed), but doable.
And would be extremely cool.

The thing is - it does not.
Right now server has a LoS implemented. It is about 50-60 tiles radius.
So yes - server already has:
for(every object in 4 surrounding grids){
if(player.distance(object) < 60 tiles){
renderlist.add(object)
}}

If we pass any number instead of constant '60' we can achieve any pitch-darkness. With modifications I've listed before - seeing player behind a wall and having houses in same dimension.

The NOX game style is way more complicated because it is based on direction player looks. So we either have '360-degree los mod' possiblity or overload server CPU with player direction vs visibility checks.
ekzarh

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower