How hard is it to code this?

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

How hard is it to code this?

Postby arcolithe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:23 am

How hard is it to code and implement into this game: a steampunk aspect, with custom gears and aspect ratios (customizing the number of teeth/size and their interactions on other gears) that players can put down freely. I'm assuming for the sake of ease, this will only be horizontal (flat) gears, as height interactions doesn't seem to be a mechanic in this game (I think this is called isometric, but game design is nowhere near my field.)

I ask because I need to learn java, c# or julia and want to make this an (intermediate) project, but perhaps it's more advanced than I can expect.

I assume that physics do not play much of a role in it (since acceleration and collision can be excluded from this) and most of the role is a set of functions that check if all conditions are true, and then it executes the second part. Sorry if my lingo is off, I actually have 0 experience programming.
arcolithe

Re: How hard is it to code this?

Postby Granger » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:07 am

arcolithe wrote:How hard is it to code and implement into this game:
I actually have 0 experience programming.

With 0 (should that mean zero, not an autocorrect error) programming experience it'll most likely be a long and frustrating journey.

I would suggest to start with something simpler for the start. In case you want to do something with games it could be an idea to grab a game engine (I would suggest Godot Engine as of the clean way it is structured, Unity is another choice), watch through the beginner tutorials to get familiar with the concepts and then begin your journey into coding by gently modifying their simple demo projects (till they break, then learn through figuring out why).

Or, as a sane approach, to start with learning the basics from scratch: https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/c ... ming-intro
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby shubla » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:59 am

well at least dont learn some stupid language like c#
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby sMartins » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:13 pm

lol ... Unity is in C# iirc ... I think it's pretty much the same thing as javascript btw .... very close.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby iamahh » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:39 am

damn Godot is looking good

http://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/l ... nodes.html

did a couple tutorials, the installer is pretty small, and the interface is simple enough to keep the curiosity
iamahh

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:29 am

sMartins wrote:lol ... Unity is in C# iirc ... I think it's pretty much the same thing as javascript btw .... very close.

Don't confuse Java and Javascript. One if a full fledge programming language, the other is a buggy piece of trash full of security holes loosely based on the other's syntax.

Otherwise, yes, Java and C# have a lot of the same implementation goals.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Glorthan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:51 am

arcolithe wrote:How hard is it to code and implement into this game: ...

Given that you'd need to write a nice new server backend to run however you modified the client, quite time consuming/difficult, even for an experienced software developer. (unless you mean to just draw random things instead of hafen, wat)

I ask because I need to learn java, c# or julia and want to make this an (intermediate) project, but perhaps it's more advanced than I can expect.

Your perspective of what you'll want to use as an "intermediate project" will probably change once you have some programming experience. This is a good thing. Moving on to which language to learn, it depends. Julia is a nice language for doing computational stuff in, and is syntactically much easier to pick up than C# or Java. However it probably lacks as diverse an ecosystem as the other two, as they have some of the most widely developed ecosystems of any languages around. If your use is purely hobbyist, Julia would be a very nice language to learn and use. You can wrap/call c apis fairly easily afaik as it's like Python in that regard, which should help with ecosystem support.

If your intent is to prepare for a career, C# or Java could serve well as a starting point, although not necessarily "better" than Julia. The added complexity of (somewhat) strong static typing could be advantageous. It's not a big deal for starting out however.

If you want to learn to program and solve real challenges (ie. to learn how to improve the craft, not just for fun alone), I recommend Project Euler as an excellent starting point, as well as getting stuck into some good books in this order:
1. a book about programming language of choice, so that you learn how to do basic things and some common idioms.
2. a book about data structures & algorithms, the bread and butter of any serious programs.
3. continously read books about topics that interest you in the field and you want to specialize in.
Glorthan

Postby shubla » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:05 am

Glorthan wrote:
arcolithe wrote:How hard is it to code and implement into this game: ...

Given that you'd need to write a nice new server backend to run however you modified the client, quite time consuming/difficult, even for an experienced software developer. (unless you mean to just draw random things instead of hafen, wat)

Your perspective of what you'll want to use as an "intermediate project" will probably change once you have some programming experience. This is a good thing. Moving on to which language to learn, it depends. Julia is a nice language for doing computational stuff in, and is syntactically much easier to pick up than C# or Java. However it probably lacks as diverse an ecosystem as the other two, as they have some of the most widely developed ecosystems of any languages around. If your use is purely hobbyist, Julia would be a very nice language to learn and use. You can wrap/call c apis fairly easily afaik as it's like Python in that regard, which should help with ecosystem support.

If your intent is to prepare for a career, C# or Java could serve well as a starting point, although not necessarily "better" than Julia. The added complexity of (somewhat) strong static typing could be advantageous. It's not a big deal for starting out however.

If you want to learn to program and solve real challenges (ie. to learn how to improve the craft, not just for fun alone), I recommend Project Euler as an excellent starting point, as well as getting stuck into some good books in this order:
1. a book about programming language of choice, so that you learn how to do basic things and some common idioms.
2. a book about data structures & algorithms, the bread and butter of any serious programs.
3. continously read books about topics that interest you in the field and you want to specialize in.

Oh fuck that man
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby arcolithe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Glorthan wrote:Julia is a nice language for doing computational stuff in, and is syntactically much easier to pick up than C# or Java. However it probably lacks as diverse an ecosystem as the other two, as they have some of the most widely developed ecosystems of any languages around. If your use is purely hobbyist, Julia would be a very nice language to learn and use. You can wrap/call c apis fairly easily afaik as it's like Python in that regard, which should help with ecosystem support.

thanks, the 1->2 was my goal with Julia and Python (whatever I can't do in python, figure in Julia), but I am already familiar with python's anaconda pack. Does projecteuler have a hidden cost in the long term?

iamahh wrote:damn Godot is looking good

did a couple tutorials, the installer is pretty small, and the interface is simple enough to keep the curiosity

this seems pretty cool too, going to look it over after finals.
arcolithe

Postby Astarisk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:41 pm

arcolithe wrote:
Glorthan wrote:Julia is a nice language for doing computational stuff in, and is syntactically much easier to pick up than C# or Java. However it probably lacks as diverse an ecosystem as the other two, as they have some of the most widely developed ecosystems of any languages around. If your use is purely hobbyist, Julia would be a very nice language to learn and use. You can wrap/call c apis fairly easily afaik as it's like Python in that regard, which should help with ecosystem support.

thanks, the 1->2 was my goal with Julia and Python (whatever I can't do in python, figure in Julia), but I am already familiar with python's anaconda pack. Does projecteuler have a hidden cost in the long term?

iamahh wrote:damn Godot is looking good

this seems pretty cool too, going to look it over after finals.

Project Euler is just a set of math-esque programming problems for you to solve, no cost at all. In regard to to programming languages to learn, if you are doing it as a hobby and not a career do whatever you feel like. That aside, Java, C#, Python, and Javascript are the big ones if you plan to make a career of it. All depends on what type of programming you are expecting to do once you make a career out of it. Depending on what you want to do I can recommend a few of my favorite reads.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Next

Return to The Wizards' Tower