To all who use Nvidia GeForce cards a question

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

To all who use Nvidia GeForce cards a question

Postby joojoo1975 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:05 pm

So was updating my comp last night and went ahead and updated my driver for my GeForce GTX 560

all of a sudden the game's framerate Dropped to like 4 fps

rolled back the driver and now it works fine. I tried this some time ago(when the driver update first came out) and had the same problem.

Anybody know how to fix it?
To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless
joojoo1975

Re: To all who use Nvidia GeForce cards a question

Postby Tanchist » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Sorry, I do not know. I'm on the opposite side. I never try to update or change in any way something that already works. Except anti-virus software, because threats do change over time, too. :)

I once, many PCs ago, updated a video driver of an somehow old Nvidia video board because in a CoD or MoHAA game the fog generated pretty unnaturally, like some dirty glass sheet a few meters in front of my toon, with no layers or gradual fog density increase with distance. The new driver was supposed probably to activate some shader method my card was unable to use, so the result was a compact white screen hiding everything behind it, at some meters in front of me, effectively blinding me and making me die hopelessly on any level that had a bit of fog in it. I could not / did not know how to revert to the old driver, got scared that other games will probably have the same bug from now on and had to eventually buy a new video board, with the required pixel shader capability. Since then, for everything, I only install the drivers shipped with the product and make no driver upgrades to it. And never got bad surprises again. I even suspended Windows tendency of upgrading things that are not integral part of Windows, like Office products, for example.

Which is also my advice for you, too. Never try to fix what works or it may never work again.

Edit: Some videos still require from time to time for me to upgrade Flash Player and some games (most notably Minecraft) tell me from time to time my current version of Java is no longer supported. And then I upgrade what is needed. Did any game tell you you need upgraded drivers to fully use your video board for that game?
Last edited by Tanchist on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wastelands. Ruins everywhere from proud civilizations, with today's survivors scavenging whatever they can carry even if they can't even use it. Eating rats cooked alive is OK for everyone. Walking around naked is natural, since very few have time to waste in getting a rag to cover their deep wounds. And the game is only Alpha.
Tanchist

Postby shubla » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Nvidia has sane names on their graphics cards, but I agree that their drivers suck. Its not the first time I have heard someone having difficulties with them. I've had problems with their software too. I advice you to wait until they publish a new driver version and hope that the thing is fixed on that one.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby sMartins » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:23 pm

My reccomandation is never update drivers on old gpus ... find the best one for your card and stick with it.
I have a Gtx970 but haven't updated it yet, when I will I'll let you know for sure ....
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Gensokyo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:22 am

Wouldn't be too much of an unrealistic assumption to take that nVidia throttles card performance trough drivers after X amount of years in an attempt to get people to upgrade, that, or they just merge newer card driver optimization and changes to older drivers and that causes clashes (said clashes are never fixed though).
Gensokyo

Postby sMartins » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:33 am

Mostly your second assumption ... but pretty much they both are related, nowaday everything has an expiration date.
sMartins

Postby sMartins » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Just updated Nvidia drivers, everything works fine to me.
sMartins

Postby Tanchist » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:05 pm

sMartins wrote:Just updated Nvidia drivers, everything works fine to me.

Ok, so this driver is still good for your video board. Keep on doing this until you find the first driver who will make your video board unusable. After that one, every new driver will keep your board unusable. Or you can stop right now, while it still works. Your money, your choice.

The drivers activate the newest video acceleration methods, newest shaders, newest everything. The day one of them can't be processed by your board is the day it crushes due to new drivers only, no other reason. Usually, 2 to 5 years after your video board was first released on the market. If you always buy the newest and most powerful model this year, you can keep updating drivers for the next 2 years, if you buy last year's best model, you have 1 year to stop updating. If you have a board that was top of its trade and costed more than a decent PC by itself 2 years ago or more, better never upgrade its drivers.
Last edited by Tanchist on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wastelands. Ruins everywhere from proud civilizations, with today's survivors scavenging whatever they can carry even if they can't even use it. Eating rats cooked alive is OK for everyone. Walking around naked is natural, since very few have time to waste in getting a rag to cover their deep wounds. And the game is only Alpha.
Tanchist

Postby sMartins » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:12 pm

It's consumerism of course ... when that happens you have to trash it and buy a new one :D ... probably soon even ours fridges will work like that ... :D
sMartins

Return to The Wizards' Tower