[Tutorial] Client Editing

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: [Tutorial] Client Editing

Postby stya » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:56 am

Also I wanted a client that works without UI and there isn't really a good way (I think?) to go in this direction without raping loftar's client...

Sorry loftar.
stya

Postby LostJustice » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:18 pm

stya wrote:I do errors (break while merging™) and then use my minion testers to find them...

and then they say please halp it does not work!!!

XD The truth of a developer's life.
LostJustice

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 am

stya wrote:Also I wanted a client that works without UI and there isn't really a good way (I think?) to go in this direction without raping loftar's client...

Would be nice if I could treat Haven like I did some of the MUDs back in the day... :twisted:
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby LostJustice » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:16 am

Two minor updates coming.

There is a boundless ways to edit the client and some people have been asking me if I am going to explain how to do some of the actual client editing. The answer to this is that I simply cannot explain every detail to do everything, editing the client is boundless within the limits of Java. But some people have asked a slightly different question and that is how to go about editing the client. I can go over something like this and this is a lot of material to actually cover. So what I decided to do is explain how to actually go about editing the client and some of the general methods of client editing. Again this is a lot of material so I will probably do this with a youtube video. Mainly the things I would like to cover in those videos is not only client editing and reflection so people can edit their clients effectively with less maintenance.

People have been asking me for a scripting API. I have had this question multiple times. Answer to this is currently no. Botting can be a problem in Hafen sometimes and I do not want this to turn into an edition of world 3 and 4. So currently, I do not want to release an API. What I may do, however, is create a standardized reflective api for client editing. Basically, a source API that would allow you to edit things like custom sound files, load in custom textures and models, and allow you to create editions to the client with minor needs to actually go into source while creating a barrier between your code and updates so less worrying about those. It will not feature a tailored API to scripts for botting however, and I would purposely exclude that from the API. This I will do if I get enough people asking for this.

And second, if you join the discord, you are only linked to rules. The reason we do this is to ensure you read the rules of the discord before joining because simply we want to keep a controlled community there for various and obvious reasons. Sometimes I know it can take up to 12-16 hours (usually only about an hour to two) to actually get the permissions to be able to join the discord. So what I have been looking into doing is creating a discord bot to help manage this. So basically in a minor update coming soon the bot will grant you basic permissions after an hour when you join so you do not have to rely on me to give you permissions in the group.

So just minor but important things I just wanted to clarify. :)
LostJustice

Postby Matheusmk » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:50 am

LostJustice wrote:So what I decided to do is explain how to actually go about editing the client and some of the general methods of client editing. Again this is a lot of material so I will probably do this with a youtube video.

Do you still plan on doing that?
Matheusmk

Postby LostJustice » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:08 am

Matheusmk wrote:
LostJustice wrote:So what I decided to do is explain how to actually go about editing the client and some of the general methods of client editing. Again this is a lot of material so I will probably do this with a youtube video.

Do you still plan on doing that?

Yes, I am going to update the post with a you tube link showing some basics of Java Reflection. I have the video recorded already and uploading it tomorrow. I have been busy with University and we will see what I have time for. Hopefully this first tutorial goes over some useful concepts you can apply into the Amber/Vanilla client if you wish to modify it. :D

Hopefully I can expand on this a bit more but we will see. :)
LostJustice

Postby Matheusmk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:30 am

LostJustice wrote:
Matheusmk wrote:
LostJustice wrote:Yes, I am going to update the post with a you tube link showing some basics of Java Reflection. I have the video recorded already and uploading it tomorrow. I have been busy with University and we will see what I have time for. Hopefully this first tutorial goes over some useful concepts you can apply into the Amber/Vanilla client if you wish to modify it. :D

Hopefully I can expand on this a bit more but we will see. :)

Thank you, looking forward to it. :)
Matheusmk

Postby LostJustice » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:33 am

Matheusmk wrote:Thank you, looking forward to it. :)

Posted at bottom of the thread. Just a very basic example. I might go more in depth on how to set up the initial client editing or resource loading or something along those lines. We will see. Let me know what you also want to see and maybe I can do that as well.
LostJustice

Postby LostJustice » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:54 pm

So, added auto ranking to the modder's discord. I realize there were still people joining and needing ranks and with all the client changes recently, I decided to fix the ranking issue. Now after 1 minute, you will be auto ranked up in the discord to be able to access the full discord. Updated the invite link as well.
LostJustice

Postby pawnchito » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:06 am

After adding the .batch file I get a quick console of what looks like java then nothing happens. When I try this with the other .batch i've found works it says it cannot access jarfile hafen.jar. How can i trouble shoot this?
pawnchito

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower