Recording videos

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Recording videos

Postby Razzbane » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:41 am

Hi!

I recently decided to make few videos from HnH, but alas using OBS makes huge fps drops (i don't have problems with recording other games) - it's probably because of java?

Any ideas how to fix it? Or any other alternatively software?
Razzbane

Re: Recording videos

Postby Ardennesss » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:04 am

It's probably Java. I have a 1080TI and get 30 fps and spike drops around animals/crops and such.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby shubla » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:08 pm

If you use x264 codec/encoding, it will use your CPU. HnH is a quite CPU-intensive game, so recording the game while playing causes poor performance. Changing the software most likely does not help.
If you have somewhat recent NVIDIA GPU you can use other encoding setting, NVENC, which uses your GPU instead of your CPU, thus probably resulting in better HnH peformance (assuming that your gpu does not suck).
The downside with NVENC is that you will need a much larger bitrate for recent quality video capture. This becomes a problem especially if you are streaming the game, as there is no time for additional encoding, some sites might not support high bitrates, causing lag in the stream to the viewers. If you are just recording the game as a video for later use, this is not an issue. But with higher bitrates you will (obviously) need more disk space for the video.

One trick for streaming with NVENC is to have two computers, with one you can play the game and record it with NVENC. Then you stream the video recorded by the NVENC to another computer, which is running ffmpeg which encodes the high-bitrate NVENC stream to lower-bitrate x264 stream. You can then send this to (even multiple) streaming sites with nginx or equivalent. The second computer does not have to be that powerful, as you can fully dedicate all its cpu cores for the encoding task.
With correctly set up LAN, you dont even have to transmit the video to the other computer via internet, which is good to reduce the latency, and bandwidth usage, if you have bad internet.

Java is not the most efficient, but the problem is most likely not caused by java.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby synntax33 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:18 am

Is this how Jorb streams his, using NVENC? I noticed that his live streams feature no lagging or FPS drops except when unfocused
synntax33

Return to The Wizards' Tower