Ardennes Hafen Client

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Ardennes Hafen Client

Postby Muzk » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:02 am

solexi wrote:
So the fact that ards client is public lets him use someones work without asking for permission?

So you have the Butcher of Cuba as your profile picture but cry about "stealing the work of others" (THE CODE IS OPEN SOURCE), the irony really is lost on you communists.

You are probably just shubla or one of his pawns
Muzk

Postby Embers » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Muzk wrote: (THE CODE IS OPEN SOURCE)

This might be news to you, but its the original client that is open source, not the code in question, which was pretty much stolen without credit.
Embers

Postby Ardennesss » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Kendab wrote:Hi,
I'm not sure if it just me but I get this error when trying to run the client.
Help?
Updater is out of date, re-download at the github link to fix.

solexi wrote:So the fact that ards client is public lets him use someones work without asking for permission?
Given that it's impossible to have a modified Hafen client with any sort of intellectual property attached that Jorb and Loftar don't retain rights to, yes. You run this risk whenever you develop and maintain a private client that includes a slew of functionality that others are not offering the community. My goal isn't to dismantle AD's advantage by releasing everything they have, although I could. My goal is merely to give the entire community some features that improve their quality of life. If you want to be uppity over that, I don't particularly care, that's your right. Matias is very good at what he does and the vast majority of what he's developed in his client has no place in public because of the damage it would do to the game and economy as a whole. Matias has asked me to credit him in anything else going forward, and I have no problems doing that.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby iamahh » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:57 pm

long live mod clients, the main reason I'm able to play the game, one built on top of other, some may burnout and others will arise to save the day
iamahh

Postby Astarisk » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:39 pm

solexi wrote:Oh that's nice... You didn't know who made it, so you decided to steal whole code? Makes sense...

Morally, Sure we can debate that. Technically though Loftar released his source code under the GPL License -- meaning in short any changes or modifications done to the client are themselves also applied under the GPL License. Upon distribution of the client the source code needs to be made available or when requested.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby shubla » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Muzk wrote: (THE CODE IS OPEN SOURCE)

Open source does not mean that you can use the code as you like. No
All code is private licence by default, even open source code, which prevents anyone form modifying it, using it, selling it, distributing at all, or anything like that.
There are many different licenses which may or may not give others permissions to use your code for things.
If there is no licence defined that explicitly would give somebody access to re-use ones code, its illegal to use it.

But in HnH community sharing is caring and stealing features from clients without asking has been going for as long as there have been custom clients and no one really cares about it, of course, giving some credit to the original creator of the code is nice.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Omnipotent » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:32 pm

Astarisk wrote:
solexi wrote:Oh that's nice... You didn't know who made it, so you decided to steal whole code? Makes sense...

Morally, Sure we can debate that. Technically though Loftar released his source code under the GPL License -- meaning in short any changes or modifications done to the client are themselves also applied under the GPL License. Upon distribution of the client the source code needs to be made available or when requested.

Exactly this. People have been reusing code since the dawn of time. It's pretty much the basis of Object Oriented Programming. Could you imagine if programming languages like Python and Java didn't allow you to import other people's work? Even basic applications would take weeks/months.

Most HnH clients have been a combination of the best work. People reuse the good stuff because there is literally zero point in remaking things that have already been created. Loftar is the one with the actual license. So if you're developing a client for this game you take on his terms and basically accept that you own nothing. Plus it's not like Ardennes actually makes any money off of this (and even if he was, there are open source licenses which allow commercial redistribution). So there's nothing being infringed.

Just accept the fact that someone else's creation has been absorbed for the greater good, and be happy for them both. It benefits us all. I agree crediting the original author is good, but as he has personally said himself, he was not even sure who the original author was. And upon being properly informed, he immediately added credits to the author. I see nothing wrong with this.

To quote Open Source from wikipedia:
Generally, open source refers to a computer program in which the source code is available to the general public for use or modification from its original design. Open-source code is meant to be a collaborative effort, where programmers improve upon the source code and share the changes within the community.

Edit: More support for why Ard has done NOTHING wrong here.
Here are a few of the distribution terms of Open-Source Software:
"3. Derived Works
The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the original software." - (Source)

&

"4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code
The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in modified form only if the license allows the distribution of "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying the program at build time. The license must explicitly permit distribution of software built from modified source code" - (Source)
Omnipotent

Postby JarlHamrick » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:26 pm

Anyone else notice a big delay when leaving a house or whatever and going into the world?
Seems to take a much longer time to load the map or whatever resources its loading.

Just wanted to check as its quite a bit more time now than it was before the update. Maybe its on the games end and not the client at all but wanted to check.

Thanks, love the client.
JarlHamrick

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 am

JarlHamrick wrote:Anyone else notice a big delay when leaving a house or whatever and going into the world?
Seems to take a much longer time to load the map or whatever resources its loading.

Just wanted to check as its quite a bit more time now than it was before the update. Maybe its on the games end and not the client at all but wanted to check.

Check announcements on the matter. The combat on lag is ongoing and loftar is making tweaks here and there. I'm having the same no matter which client I'm running.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ardennes » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:14 am

Big fan of my client, seem to have lost the source code though, haha xD thanks for publishing it!
Ardennes

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower