Hafen.xls

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Hafen.xls

Postby Granger » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:47 pm

rfxDarth wrote:
mvgulik wrote:-1: Tips on/for adjusting post to be more clearer on the file-format/type seem to be ignored by OP. (potential 'low user/project longevity' sign)

I just don't get what's the whole deal is about.

Well, anyway, any suggestions how to name it better?

"Haven quality calculator (google spreadsheet)" ?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:00 pm

rfxDarth wrote:
mvgulik wrote:-1: Tips on/for adjusting post to be more clearer on the file-format/type seem to be ignored by OP. (potential 'low user/project longevity' sign)

Well, anyway, any suggestions how to name it better?

I'm not sure it is a big deal myself. It's better to provide some extra information so anyone checking will see if things line up. Kind of like those emails from "Department of the IRS" (or whatever your national tax service is) that point you to a foreign email address. Just note that it's a Google docs spreadsheet so people can see where and what the file is. It's no guarantee it won't have something embedded, but it's a good bit safer than just downloading some random file into Excel and spamming all your contacts with boner pill ads (or worse).
rfxDarth wrote:Well, allow me to present to you the solution: Hafen.xls — a haven quality calculator hosted via Google Docs. Just copy or download it, report the qualities of all your belongings using the cells painted orange, and see exactly what you can improve and which stats limit your progress.

suggested text italicized.

Would be nice if some of the information is a bit tighter--doesn't need scrolling around--but I can't point fingers at anything at the moment, and with the information generated, it might not be possible.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby rfxDarth » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:01 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Kind of like those emails from "Department of the IRS" (or whatever your national tax service is) that point you to a foreign email address. Just note that it's a Google docs spreadsheet so people can see where and what the file is. It's no guarantee it won't have something embedded, but it's a good bit safer than just downloading some random file into Excel and spamming all your contacts with boner pill ads (or worse).

And that's why office products open files with macros disabled by default...

Anyway, i've reworded the original post a bit, now gonna go back to filling out all theese endless recipes.
rfxDarth

Postby Oreyeon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:42 pm

This is pretty cool. I use something similar to keep track of qualities in my village but this is way more comprehensive. Only annoying part is manually entering data.
I've been working on a custom client that auto-updates a google sheet with player stats every time you login, object quality every time you inspect, seed quality every time you harvest, etc.
Integrating it with a copy of this sheet will be a fantastic upgrade. Nice job!
Oreyeon

Postby mvgulik » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:03 am

rfxDarth wrote:

Basically it comes down to good presentation of information/documentation (what to write, and when to write it), to smoothly lead/guide readers into the subject/post at hand .

For example: ...
The first part readers see is the (post) title. As such that part is best used to start off with the most critical information related to its (post) content.

So what is "Hafen.xls" as post-title saying.
1) Its something Hafen game related. ... Considering this forum as a whole is Hafen related, that on its own is not particular useful.
2) Its spreadsheet related (but only for those that know the ".xls" extension is spreadsheet related. And most of the somewhat older user will probably immediately think Microsoft spreadsheet (which is considered unsafe)) ... Ergo: Ambiguous at best, misleading at worst (as proven by first reply, with a considerable count of related followup reply's). ... + (content (spreadsheet): unclear)

Now compare that to a title like: "Quality calculator (google spreadsheet)".
This title leaves very little room for any ambiguity or misinterpretation (with or without a leading "Hafen" part)
- What: A Spreadsheet, Spreadsheet-Spec: Google docs, Spreadsheet-Content: Quality calculator, ... DONE!.
Ergo: good start of a topic.
Potential additional side effect: More and better user issue/improvement feedback. (assuming that is one of the things your looking for ...)

- - -

On the subject of "Good presentation of information/documentation" for your spreadsheet.
I think a separate "Doc" or "Index" page would not be a bad thing. Could be used for:
- Some minimal legend on used colors/format-styles and there meaning. (input, calculation, ... etc)
- That Todo-list. (could double as some recent updates list)
- Other Pages Index list. (with clickable Jump-to-page-links ... of course)
- ... Potential other additional information/documentation.
mvgulik

Postby rfxDarth » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:56 pm

mvgulik wrote:On the subject of "Good presentation of information/documentation" for your spreadsheet.
I think a separate "Doc" or "Index" page would not be a bad thing. Could be used for:
- Some minimal legend on used colors/format-styles and there meaning. (input, calculation, ... etc)
- That Todo-list. (could double as some recent updates list)
- Other Pages Index list. (with clickable Jump-to-page-links ... of course)
- ... Potential other additional information/documentation.

Done :D

As for the name... think im gonna leave it at that for now.
rfxDarth

Postby mvgulik » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:55 pm

rfxDarth wrote:Done

Nice, with with plenty of useful general-sheet-info. :)
mvgulik

Previous

Return to The Wizards' Tower