UI Scaling

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

UI Scaling

Postby hazzor » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:03 pm

Hi,

I searched and found that while the question had been asked repeatedly on a few custom client threads no one seemed to have given a solid answer (or rather I didn't find one when searching, feel free to point me in the right direction if I'm wrong).

I'm playing on a 1440p 27" monitor using Pasta client and the UI is just small enough to be irritating.

Aside from just changing my desktop resolution (I'd rather not because I do actually do things other than play HnH and enjoy the higher resolution generally) is there any way I can scale the UI? Perhaps changing the game's render resolution or something?

Ideally this would just be an actual feature of the game as higher resolution monitors are quite common, I can't imagine what this looks like in 4K if i'm struggling a bit at 1440.
Oh boy, here I go cheesemaking again...
hazzor

Re: UI Scaling

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:13 pm

There's nothing you can do in game, unfortunately. I'm not sure if any of the modders have addressed it or not.

If you monitor and GPU drivers support it, you can change scaling, but that may not be helpful. I've seen mixed opinions on its effectiveness to make the game readable. There are directions around here, but it's not something I've had to deal with myself, so haven't kept track of it. You might be able to force the client into full screen exclusive mode so that you can tab out and the resolution would change for you, but not sure the client supports it well. There were a lot of complaints in the past about full screen just crashing or freezing.

hazzor wrote:Ideally this would just be an actual feature of the game as higher resolution monitors are quite common, I can't imagine what this looks like in 4K if i'm struggling a bit at 1440.

When the current client was written, about 6 years ago, this wasn't the case. It was odd to see anything bigger than the 1080 standard with a very few monitors and laptops supporting slightly higher resolutions. Over the last couple of years, 4k displays (and ones in between) have become common enough it's a frequently requested feature. Loftar has been working on a client rewrite over the last couple of years that is almost finished (see viewtopic.php?f=39&t=66937) that will hopefully be easy to modify for proper resolution support.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:30 pm

We should just fundraise loftar a 4k or 8k monitor so he would make some UI scaling thing.
He is probably using 480p 4:3 CRT himself!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby hazzor » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:33 pm

shubla wrote:We should just fundraise loftar a 4k or 8k monitor so he would make some UI scaling thing.
He is probably using 480p 4:3 CRT himself!

I'm sure I remember seeing an old image of them working on some awfully dated looking monitors, surely that's changed by now though.

I'll likely just end up dealing with the minor annoyance of changing my desktop resolution back and forth all the time...
Oh boy, here I go cheesemaking again...
hazzor

Postby ElSid » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:13 pm

I can suggest to try this viewtopic.php?f=49&t=68990
ElSid

Return to The Wizards' Tower