Ardennes Bootleg Revived

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Ardennes Bootleg Revived

Postby MagicManICT » Sat May 09, 2020 12:50 am

Baldarich wrote:Purus client has a bitcoin mining feature.

Got proof? Otherwise lets' not disparage other modders just because you don't like them/their mods.

shadowchris wrote:0/10 wouldnt recommend making it public you use this client. Ardennes will cast a voodoo spell on you.

I told jorb a while back that if people aren't willing to follow rules on client modding, something should be done. Failure to release client code publicly is a violation of the license agreement. If you doubt me, read up on the terms of the GPL. (Not like it's that hard to reverse engineer the client, but why should people have to go through the effort when pulling the base code implies consent to the licensing agreement?)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby boshaw » Sat May 09, 2020 12:55 am

MagicManICT wrote:I told jorb a while back that if people aren't willing to follow rules on client modding, something should be done. Failure to release client code publicly is a violation of the license agreement. If you doubt me, read up on the terms of the GPL. (Not like it's that hard to reverse engineer the client, but why should people have to go through the effort when pulling the base code implies consent to the licensing agreement?)

Technically isn't it that you only have to make public the source code to those you distribute the software to?
boshaw

Postby peanutzrgud » Sat May 09, 2020 1:02 am

getting lag spikes for some reason. Same problem with the old client. Anyone else have the problem?
peanutzrgud

Postby Ardennesss » Sat May 09, 2020 1:50 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Baldarich wrote:Purus client has a bitcoin mining feature.

Got proof? Otherwise lets' not disparage other modders just because you don't like them/their mods.

You didn't step in when Shubla posted that my client had a keylogger, that post is still not removed. Is the implication that the forum report feature is pointless?

shubla wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:watch out when you use them as people can easily add in a keylogger

Add?
Yes, another one.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=66708&hilit=bootleg#p843041
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Glorthan » Sat May 09, 2020 2:47 am

boshaw wrote:Technically isn't it that you only have to make public the source code to those you distribute the software to?

It has to be available on request. I think you also have to provide notice that this is the case as well.
Glorthan

Postby MagicManICT » Sat May 09, 2020 9:28 am

Ardennesss wrote:You didn't step in when Shubla posted that my client had a keylogger, that post is still not removed. Is the implication that the forum report feature is pointless?

Clearly that was a mistake. Yet I haven't removed the above post, either. It seems you handled the situation well enough and shubla didn't spam the issue. As I understand it, he did spam up your Discord channel about it resulting in shubla being kicked. Keyloggers and other shenanigans from private clients made public have been an issue in the past, and so I saw it as a valid request. Did you send him a copy of the source as required by the GPL (assuming shubla made a request for the source and wasn't just trolling the thread)? I'm guessing no even if the request was made. From what I gather (going from memory) of the conversation, the request was made, if not directly, than at least it was obvious to me that a request to "read the code" for proof was being asked. Given what we've seen of shubla, it probably would have just been to stick the mods into his own client that he didn't already have, but that's kind of the point of open source, isn't it?

boshaw wrote:Technically isn't it that you only have to make public the source code to those you distribute the software to?

My understanding is that if it is released as open source under GPL, all derivative work must also retain such licensing, as the publisher of a modification can't take away that property. Maybe I'm just getting my various public licensing agreements mixed here, but pretty sure I read that about GPL somewhere in a comparison with some of the other public licensing. The GPL license itself never actually mentions "open source," just public, which isn't necessarily the same thing in legal terms, but does include open source.

The way I see it, the whole point of being open source is that A) factions and power gamers are going to hack the client, anyway, and B) having it open source at least gives others that can read the code a chance to see what is actually in there and changes that have been made. Yes, there are other ways of detecting things like keyloggers, but good hacks can hide themselves from those detection methods, too.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ardennesss » Sat May 09, 2020 12:50 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Clearly that was a mistake. Yet I haven't removed the above post, either. It seems you handled the situation well enough and shubla didn't spam the issue. As I understand it, he did spam up your Discord channel about it resulting in shubla being kicked. Keyloggers and other shenanigans from private clients made public have been an issue in the past, and so I saw it as a valid request. Did you send him a copy of the source as required by the GPL (assuming shubla made a request for the source and wasn't just trolling the thread)? I'm guessing no even if the request was made. From what I gather (going from memory) of the conversation, the request was made, if not directly, than at least it was obvious to me that a request to "read the code" for proof was being asked. Given what we've seen of shubla, it probably would have just been to stick the mods into his own client that he didn't already have, but that's kind of the point of open source, isn't it?
My client was never private and the source was always available. He was trolling the thread, like he always does, like you allow him to do.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby talon00302 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:02 pm

Update, now with real size trees

talon00302

Postby Gorakil » Sat May 09, 2020 11:42 pm

talon00302 wrote:Update, now with real size trees

Nice human-sized lemons
Gorakil