Ardennes Bootleg Revived

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Ardennes Bootleg Revived

Postby Clemence » Tue May 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Thanks a lot !
AltGr click to move the barres
Clemence

Postby vardana » Tue May 12, 2020 2:15 pm

Is there a orca wanr-sound when spotted in this version?
vardana

Postby Clemence » Tue May 12, 2020 4:07 pm

inspect quality on the right click menue would be nice
Clemence

Postby talon00302 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:10 pm

I'll add orca sounds after work, and inspect is a good idea, I'll look into adding it.
talon00302

Postby Noid » Thu May 14, 2020 5:32 am

Thanks for reviving it, love this client.
Noid

Postby Detharon » Thu May 14, 2020 12:02 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
boshaw wrote:Technically isn't it that you only have to make public the source code to those you distribute the software to?

My understanding is that if it is released as open source under GPL, all derivative work must also retain such licensing, as the publisher of a modification can't take away that property. Maybe I'm just getting my various public licensing agreements mixed here, but pretty sure I read that about GPL somewhere in a comparison with some of the other public licensing. The GPL license itself never actually mentions "open source," just public, which isn't necessarily the same thing in legal terms, but does include open source.

The way I see it, the whole point of being open source is that A) factions and power gamers are going to hack the client, anyway, and B) having it open source at least gives others that can read the code a chance to see what is actually in there and changes that have been made. Yes, there are other ways of detecting things like keyloggers, but good hacks can hide themselves from those detection methods, too.

May I ask what exactly do you base these assumptions on? Because they completely contradict the GNU FAQ: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en ... stedPublic

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

In practice it means that the factions can't post their modified client on the forums (or any other public place) without sharing the sources, but they don't have to do it if it stays private.
Detharon

Postby MagicManICT » Fri May 15, 2020 4:09 am

Detharon wrote:May I ask what exactly do you base these assumptions on? Because they completely contradict the GNU FAQ

Based on what it says here:
GPL FAQ wrote:But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

I'll grant the latter part is my opinion as to what an "organization" and "public" are, and not necessarily based on legal definitions, etc, so it's just that, my opinion whether right or wrong in the eyes of others. A gaming guild, group, etc, is not the same type of entity as a corporation, non-profit, government, or other group. (Note: some guilds/game groups are ran as a business and as such tend to run things like a business, not a casual group of semi-related individuals.) I only state this because we have had issues with clients (well, one particular one, anyway) in the past and malicious code. What should have been private did not stay private, and ended up being used in ways the original developer didn't intend.

I don't mean to derail this thread with this conversation. The issue came up before, and my memory might be wrong on this, but I recall that, at one point, the source wasn't posted, which is why I never downloaded and checked it out in the first time I saw it. Maybe I just missed the source listing/download link, maybe it wasn't there. I don't recall, and I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything malicious, just being cautious as I do with everything.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jymnils2 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:18 pm

Baldarich wrote:
Thaydi wrote:What at the main differences between this client and Purus/Amber?

Purus client has a bitcoin mining feature.

where is the evidence of it?
jymnils2

Postby synntax33 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:32 pm

So question about clients, since this one's pretty active...
When new items are added to the game, such as trees and boulders, does the minimap list for show items pull from a list, or do the new items have to be added manually?
I ask because I have been perusing the clients available and none have all the items on the list, is this because they all use the same client as a base? Or because the list they pull from is the same, if that's how it even works
synntax33

Postby Ardennesss » Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 pm

synntax33 wrote:So question about clients, since this one's pretty active...
When new items are added to the game, such as trees and boulders, does the minimap list for show items pull from a list, or do the new items have to be added manually?
I ask because I have been perusing the clients available and none have all the items on the list, is this because they all use the same client as a base? Or because the list they pull from is the same, if that's how it even works
I believe every client active right now except for Ender is based on Amber, which does use an internally defined list of trees/bushes/boulders. When new ones are added, that list has to be updated with the name and ingame res path for the new object.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower