Experimental client with user interface scaling

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Experimental client with user interface scaling

Postby ElSid » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:41 pm

Playing H&H on a 15" 4k monitor with default interface scaling is a pain. I've seen on the forum multiple questions about it but so far no straight answer would it be actually done. So before I can give this game another round I've decided to spend some time on UI scaling. I know there is a solution to use OS scaling but it doesn't support proper fonts scaling. This means code change is required but the main problem is that almost everything related to a widget position and size is hardcoded. For now I try to adjust the most recent default so called "render" client but the changes should be portable. Except all new widgets added in custom clients using the same hardcoded position and size approach will break. Work is not done yet but all UI that can be visible for a new character is scaled. And since I don't have a skilled character I just can't simply test all the widgets now.

I made this post to get some early feedback. I don't share the code yet because I don't think it's in the proper state. I'd like to see the change in the default client because it can benefit all other clients. But if there is something going on I can just stop. Anyway I'm open to cooperation. Also if for some reason it's not desired to have it in the default client I will start to port it into amber. I want to start to play at last.

Here is the current state:

2.83x UI scaling:

To compare 3x OS scaling:

And the painful default scaling:

Update:

• After playing for several weeks I think the first version is ready for a wide testing. Some widgets may still be somehow broken in a scaled state. If you find such, please report.
  • I started to port changes to Amber but after old resources are gone there is no much point to do any changes there until it will support new ones.

Here is a client version to try:
https://github.com/elsid/hafen-client/releases
Last edited by ElSid on Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
ElSid

Re: Experiments with user interface scaling

Postby loftar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:36 am

Interesting experiment. Just out of curiosity, would I be right in assuming that you only support integral scaling factors?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby ElSid » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:15 am

Floating point scaling is supported. The UI scale factor is a double and where it was possible I've used round to int closer to the result of the expression. Still some artifacts are possible due to the fact that all widgets coordinates and sizes are ints. Maybe it's worth to change this and use float or double.
ElSid

Postby AtoB » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:08 pm

loftar wrote:Interesting experiment. Just out of curiosity, would I be right in assuming that you only support integral scaling factors?

Would not matter.

Please, please, fucking please: pull his code to make the official client feasible for the ones with modern equipment.
AtoB

Postby ElSid » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:59 pm

I've updated a post and added a link to a first experimental version including the source code.
ElSid

Return to The Wizards' Tower