Ethically-Sourced Copy-Pasta Client.

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Ethically-Sourced Copy-Pasta Client.

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:00 am

Astarisk wrote:Look here people, this is the guy you are trusting with your data. Someone who wants to throw out incorrect facts and throws a tantrum when someone releases a client stripped of the invasive "community" features he wants to advertise. If this was for the community you would have no problem with what has been done here. Once again I'll plead to the moderators to remove his posts from my thread and to move them over to the relevant one -- I've asked several times more than nicely for him to cease and desist in posting here. I'm actually trying to provide real support for those who are having issues in getting the client to run.

Changes are not invasive in any way.
People like you are literally using my map, but then doing stuff like this. :shock:
Your client will not need support because there is no demand for it. come off your cloud castle and stop wasting your time on this piece of crap.

Though I am honored to have made yet again so awesome client that it took only 1 day to get some forks from it :D
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Astarisk » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:06 am

shubla wrote:
Astarisk wrote:Look here people, this is the guy you are trusting with your data. Someone who wants to throw out incorrect facts and throws a tantrum when someone releases a client stripped of the invasive "community" features he wants to advertise. If this was for the community you would have no problem with what has been done here. Once again I'll plead to the moderators to remove his posts from my thread and to move them over to the relevant one -- I've asked several times more than nicely for him to cease and desist in posting here. I'm actually trying to provide real support for those who are having issues in getting the client to run.

People like you are literally using my map, but then doing stuff like this. :shock:
Your client will not need support because there is no demand for it. come off your cloud castle and stop wasting your time on this piece of crap.

Though I am honored to have made yet again so awesome client that it took only 1 day to get some forks from it :D

Believe it or not there are people not using your map -- people like me for instance. I in fact only managed to finally get on to play the game in the last little bit. Regardless of whether or not you believe there is no demand for this I will keep this running for as long as I feel is needed. In fact, to me this is a great opportunity to work on some of my dev ops knowledge and learn more about automating code changes and merges. If anything, you should get off your cloud castle and stop wasting your time posting in my thread where I'm trying to help those who want to run my client.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby LostJustice » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:13 am

shubla wrote:

Tbh after reading this thread, made sure my entire group did not use your version of the client and used Astarisk's version instead. To say you have an "awesome" client when literally every client other than Ender is broken is kind of sitting on a day dreaming cloud. Better client by default isn't an awesome client or a thing to really be honored about. If anything, there are several private clients and when one of them goes public will probably almost instantly replace your client.

You argue the ethics of having an off option for data collecting. Even in my private client I give my group options to turn off data collecting even though it literally for only my group. Two reasons for this, some people just don't enjoy having their information for the world to see which is fair. Second, some people have connection issues or slower connections. Simply having an off button to not send extra data to an unneeded server can go lengths to help their connection performance.

Collecting data has been free and big data companies have been making a lot of money selling this information. Knowing your past, I don't see how this entire situation is not any different from the numerous lawsuits brought against those companies. Facebook even made the argument that it was in their Terms of Service but reality it was hidden behind blobs or text in fine print. It deceiving and honestly as a programmer an unethical thing to do regardless how you perceive it. Since I am such a nice guy, here is some resources that you probably should read into Shubla:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/tech/google-street-view-privacy-lawsuit-settlement/index.html
https://www.thestreet.com/technology/everyone-who-is-suing-facebook-for-cambridge-analytica-14536213
https://techxplore.com/news/2021-02-tiktok-mn-privacy-lawsuits.html
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-alphabet-google-privacy-lawsuit-idUSKBN23933H
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2020/07/15/google-still-tracks-app-users-when-theyve-opted-out-privacy-lawsuit-alleges-class-action-firebase-data-tracking/?sh=537932053864
https://www.cnet.com/news/twitter-faces-class-action-privacy-lawsuit-for-sharing-security-info-with-advertisers/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/09/15/twitter-privacy-lawsuit-direct-messages/72314084/

Regardless how you spin it Shubla, you literally are doing the same thing as the aforementioned links. It is actually quite disgusting and sad.

Anyways, to post what I wanted to say. +1 Astarisks for being diligent, making a patch, and being alert about client shenanigan's. Some of my group is using it and it is working well for those using it.
LostJustice

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:24 am

I highly, highly doubt that anyone has connection, that is too slow for sending maptiles, but still fast enough to both receive the maptiles and all the other server data. Literally the worst reason you can come up with, come on.

saying that you don't see any difference between collecting maptiles in this game and big billion dollar lawsuits against big tech companies is very dangerous thing to do, because somebody might actually die of laughter.

Good entertainment while waiting for the billion dollar class action lawsuit.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Astarisk » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:38 am

LostJustice wrote:Tbh after reading this thread, made sure my entire group did not use your version of the client and used Astarisk's version instead

I've had a few groups inform me that they were completely unaware of what his client was doing. Some of them don't speak English much at all -- what he was doing was completely dishonest and disingenuous. I know several people who play hafen on dial-up as that is the only avenue of Internet available to them. That is not the worst reason out there as its a completely and perfectly valid reason. I also know hafen players who play on limited monthly bandwidth and would appreciate not having their connection wasted for needless data gathering. Shubla can try to down play this all he wants -- and make false claims and accusations about demands and what not. But I know there are people out there who appreciate being informed and having an alternative.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby LostJustice » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:48 am

shubla wrote:I highly, highly doubt that anyone has connection, that is too slow for sending maptiles, but still fast enough to both receive the maptiles and all the other server data. Literally the worst reason you can come up with, come on.

I had dial up for years. I was able to play Hafen but not anything else. Anything else would cause me to have serious latency problems or lag. Even loading a web page lagged me. I have two members with similar situations and issues. If you are really that daft and ignorant to the situation then clearly you are just a poor programmer. Will not even call you a developer due to your poor ethics, you don't deserve that description.

shubla wrote:saying that you don't see any difference between collecting maptiles in this game and big billion dollar lawsuits against big tech companies is very dangerous thing to do, because somebody might actually die of laughter.

Good entertainment while waiting for the billion dollar class action lawsuit.

I think you missed the point like most things you tend to miss. You are arguing that your choices are ethical. Far from it. I'm just laughing looking at haven discord as people jump ship from using your client and switching to this one.
LostJustice

Postby Pyonezze » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:19 pm

Amber client not updated for a year: I SLEEP

Shubla made a public map within a day: REAL SHIT FORK IT

Hey maybe you do something meaningful, op?

gosh i hate tryharder scum
Pyonezze

Re: Ethical Copy-Pasta Client.

Postby shadowchris » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:23 pm

loftar wrote:
mamotromico wrote:wew

To be fair, I too wonder how it comes that SnuggleSnail suddenly emerges from his cave to do the community this great favor of "exposing" shubla. I mean, I don't want to imply that I have evidence of anything nor that it necessarily is out of any evil intention. But it does make me wonder what the background is. Frankly, all of this feels like a personal fight that I don't really want to be a part of.

shubla wrote:I'm not afraid about users of my client, but the food site and map site becoming shit because no one will contribute any data to them. Somebody who would enable the option likely doesn't care if its enabled by default

If that is so, though, is it really so much to ask for that you be more up-front and obvious about it in your client thread?

Lmao yeah man... God forbid someone cares about this stupid game enough to expose someone doing something unethical and expects the devs to act on it. But aye considering your track record of dealing with situations like this, I'm not surprised by your response
W8 HLTU W9 Tartarus,Alfheimer,Niflheim W10 RiP, Dis
shadowchris

Postby Ardennesss » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:54 pm

How is secretly harvesting your map tiles, equipped hat, and current location Ingame not a bigger deal than this lmao. literally any faction would love to have access to that information, and if they had released a client that was doing this they wouldn't be getting a pass. Yet here's loftar like "well idk gee shucks I guess it's kinda bad for him to do that but WHAT ABOUT SNAILS MOTIVES?!"

cringe.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:16 pm

LostJustice wrote:I had dial up for years. I was able to play Hafen but not anything else.

That makes be a little bit happy.

shadowchris wrote:But aye considering your track record of dealing with situations like this, I'm not surprised by your response

Kinda curious what track record you are referring to. I can't immediately remember any other "situation like this".

shadowchris wrote:God forbid someone cares about this stupid game enough to expose someone doing something unethical and expects the devs to act on it.

Of course that is possible, but I'd expect it from literally anyone else. More importantly though, that was never the main point. If you what you're actually arguing for is that I haven't done enough, then I refer you back to this post. It still stands open to discussion.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower