Core overheats while playing H&H for some reason

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Core overheats while playing H&H for some reason

Postby Alince » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:42 am

telum12 wrote:
Alince wrote:I noticed something, apparently when I take out the charger all of a sudden im solid 50c temperature for some reason, does this help pin point the issue?
just to elaborate further I been playing all this time with this temperature now that the charger is out, but the battery doesnt last long enough for me to play consistently like this

You might have a faulty battery. Is there any bloating around the battery? Should probably get that checked out.

No, thats not it, the Laptop as I said is relatively new, still got a warranty and I can go to HPs lab anytime to go and fix this, that is if there is anything to fix.
(Ran tests with just now, no problem windows or HP can find with the battery regularly or when charging, no dust either since as I said its basically new)
Alince

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:51 am

Alince wrote:I noticed something, apparently when I take out the charger all of a sudden im solid 50c temperature for some reason, does this help pin point the issue?

It's probably just that your laptop chooses a lower TDP while on battery; this is very common on laptops (either just to preserve battery life, or because the battery can't deliver the same amount of power that the charger can). Going to a lower TDP would of course also make the chip run cooler.

I'd just remind you once again, though, to check that the client is actually running on the nVidia GPU rather than the iGPU.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Alince » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:05 am

loftar wrote:

It's probably just that your laptop chooses a lower TDP while on battery; this is very common on laptops (either just to preserve battery life, or because the battery can't deliver the same amount of power that the charger can). Going to a lower TDP would of course also make the chip run cooler.

I'd just remind you once again, though, to check that the client is actually running on the nVidia GPU rather than the iGPU.

How do I check that it runs actually on Nvidia GPU and not iGPU?
Alince

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:09 am

Alince wrote:How do I check that it runs actually on Nvidia GPU and not iGPU?

Sorry, I don't know that. I've never had a laptop with dual GPUs (and I've also never had one running Windows ^^), so I haven't used the systems they use for that. If you can't find it yourself, perhaps there's someone else around who has a laptop like that and can share how it works?
loftar

Postby Alince » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:13 am

loftar wrote:

Sorry, I don't know that. I've never had a laptop with dual GPUs (and I've also never had one running Windows ^^), so I haven't used the systems they use for that. If you can't find it yourself, perhaps there's someone else around who has a laptop like that and can share how it works?

well... I enabled through the Nvidia Control Panel [Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area] which supposedly tells me which programs are running on Nvidia GPU, I didnt see the Haven Client im using there or anything new pop up when I launched.

So even if I dont know lets say, how can I set a Jar to run using Nvidia GPU than? it only accepts exe's on the exception list.
Alince

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:22 am

Alince wrote:So even if I dont know lets say, how can I set a Jar to run using Nvidia GPU than? it only accepts exe's on the exception list.

You would set javaw.exe itself to run on the nVidia GPU, rather than the Jar file.
loftar

Postby Alince » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:26 am

loftar wrote:

oh Nevermind, Thank loftar, ill describe the process than.
First to check on which graphics card the client is running on you need to go to the Nvidia Control Panel, there on the "Desktop" dropbar menu enable "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area", an icon of the same name should pop at the icon bar.
After that launch H&H once than exit, go back to the Nvidia control panel and in "Manage 3D Settings" go to the "Program Setting" bar, click "Add" and select the first program on the list, it should be Javaw.exe(in my case it uses apparently JDK11?), than below it at the second drop bar select the Nvidia High performance option and click "Apply".

Next time you launch it at the icon of the "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area" you have at your taskbars icon section Java should pop up there under your graphics card name.
thats what I did at least but the temperature still increases by 20c and its not really stable sometimes it reaches 99 as well, but it hops between 60-99 every tick
Alince

Previous

Return to The Wizards' Tower