How much does whole haven map weigh?

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

How much does whole haven map weigh?

Postby pbbllt » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:24 pm

Dear jorb or loftar,

can you please provide total size in gigabytes map of w14 has?
pbbllt

Re: How much does whole haven map weigh?

Postby ATHF » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:58 am

Jorb n' Loftar, head thy words, tell us size of this wonderwurst!
ATHF

Postby vatas » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:54 am

Other than tilemap, other variable data includes the characters and items, objects and livestock. No idea how much it all totals.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:27 am

I wonder if the map is split into small files for each tile, totalling in millions of files the server needs to read and write, rather than a single database, which probably also causes the hiccups we experience every few seconds that we all got used to.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby vatas » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:26 pm

Nightdawg wrote:I wonder if the map is split into small files for each tile, totalling in millions of files the server needs to read and write, rather than a single database, which probably also causes the hiccups we experience every few seconds that we all got used to.

Considering how rollbacks can simultaneously result in both dupes and deletions due to "in case live server failed to save" -backup being chunks taken in different times, that is not nearly as stupid as it sounds. (Another option would be reverting to last full server save, that could be a whole week old.)

At minimum, I assume each minimap grid is to some degree handled individually.

This isn't necessarily a bad idea for a server architecture, as it allows the dynamic unloading and reloading of parts of the map as players move within it.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby loftar » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:13 am

Currently, the map files themselves take up about 3 GB of disk space, so it isn't a whole lot. Much of that is because they compress very well, though; if not for compression, I'd estimate they'd use 150-200 GB or so.

And yes, the maps are certainly split into individual files for being able to be loaded and unloaded individually, but it's handled at a significantly coarser granularity than minimap tiles. The main overworld is on the order of thousands of files, not millions.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Return to The Wizards' Tower