i was thinking...

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: i was thinking...

Postby NOOBY93 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:50 pm

Jomme wrote:Well, you can always buy the stuff you need? I'm 100% sure some friendly neighbourhood hermit who only ever farms for 2 hours then logs off again will be very willing to trade you all the carrots you want for some tools?

How do you think he got the crops? This isn't an "I'm bored, someone sell me crops" thread, it's a "farming fucking sucks and needs to be changed or removed" thread. The "friendly neighbourhood hermit" farmed, which was most likely boring for him.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Jomme » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:53 pm

It's neither, it's a suggestion thread which was somehow hijacked by people complaining about farming ;)
ITT: fags wearing dhelms calling fags wearing dhelms fags

grow balls and wear a bronze helm u fag
Jomme

Postby NOOBY93 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:58 pm

First off, this game doesn't get updated anymore, so not only is it a bad idea, but it's also futile.
Secondly, we started talking about farming so, now that the conversation is about farming, this indeed is a "change farming" thread, regardless of the title being "i was thinking..."
NOOBY93

Postby Jomme » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Kinda ironic to call him out on doing something futile and in your other post you claim you want something changed - which is futile to want/suggest according to you. But I'll play ball.
Do you have any suggestions to make farming fun? Most of the actions in this game are per definition repetitive and have no real fun thingie about them. Chopping wood? Repetitive, not fun.
Crafting shit? Not fun, repetitive. Hunting? It's fun if you ask me, but it's still nothing more than ''oh I'm clicking when the slider is really high! I'm so good at this.'' Foraging isn't fun. Building kilns, houses, coops, whatever isn't fun. The thing with farming is you're gonna be doing a lot of the same things but more often compared to the other actions. In essence it's still the same.

I'd also like to point out that:

NOOBY93 wrote:Boring. Pointless. If you want ridiculous farming mechanics take a look at Salem.

was a rather.. harsh reaction to someone who was only trying to help (regardless of how stupid you may think his suggestion is). He wasn't calling the game stupid, ugly, dumb or whatever would incite such a ''boring and pointless'' reaction from you ;). He was trying to help and probably deserves a bit more than ''Your idea is boring and pointless and I'm not gonna give any reasons why!''

And third, just because you start talking about something else doesn't mean the entire thread is about something else. If that were the case I'd like to discuss puppies, but sadly it's not so we'll be stuck discussing this stupid argument about farming. (which I think is quite fun to do anyway, if you look at 'how do I make my quality higher effectively' rather than 'how do I make this bot more effective at clicking crops' which I guess most people are doing) This is still kind of his thread, and instead of calling his idea ''boring, pointless'' you could give it some thought and come up with why it is not a good idea, regardless if it is pointless to argue. Might as well NOT comment if you were not gonna do that. Having read your other replies on other topics before while lurking, however, I don't think you're gonna be receptive to this idea.

Jomme

Postby NOOBY93 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Jomme wrote:Kinda ironic to call him out on doing something futile and in your other post you claim you want something changed - which is futile to want/suggest according to you. But I'll play ball.
Do you have any suggestions to make farming fun? Most of the actions in this game are per definition repetitive and have no real fun thingie about them. Chopping wood? Repetitive, not fun.
Crafting shit? Not fun, repetitive. Hunting? It's fun if you ask me, but it's still nothing more than ''oh I'm clicking when the slider is really high! I'm so good at this.'' Foraging isn't fun. Building kilns, houses, coops, whatever isn't fun. The thing with farming is you're gonna be doing a lot of the same things but more often compared to the other actions. In essence it's still the same.

NOOBY93 wrote:Boring. Pointless. If you want ridiculous farming mechanics take a look at Salem.

was a rather.. harsh reaction to someone who was only trying to help (regardless of how stupid you may think his suggestion is). He wasn't calling the game stupid, ugly, dumb or whatever would incite such a ''boring and pointless'' reaction from you ;). He was trying to help and probably deserves a bit more than ''Your idea is boring and pointless and I'm not gonna give any reasons why!''

And third, just because you start talking about something else doesn't mean the entire thread is about something else. If that were the case I'd like to discuss puppies, but sadly it's not so we'll be stuck discussing this stupid argument about farming. (which I think is quite fun to do anyway, if you look at 'how do I make my quality higher effectively' rather than 'how do I make this bot more effective at clicking crops' which I guess most people are doing) This is still kind of his thread, and instead of calling his idea ''boring, pointless'' you could give it some thought and come up with why it is not a good idea, regardless if it is pointless to argue. Might as well NOT comment if you were not gonna do that. Having read your other replies on other topics before while lurking, however, I don't think you're gonna be receptive to this idea.

I never said Haven wasn't a repetitive grindy game. I said adding boring content to a boring mechanic is boring. I want something changed, but I'm not suggesting anything because I know nothing will change. And like I give a shit if it was a harsh reaction? Anyway, the entire thread is one person suggesting his idea, 2 comments yes/no and 1 comment repeating what OP said but in one word. You can't really call that a thread because only the first post has any real "content" or whatever, so you can't say "the entire thread". If you want to discuss puppies go to the pet thread, but unfortunately here we started discussing farming on an empty thread which is why I think of it as a farming discussion thread. Do you really think someone should give thought to an idea like this? It's like suggesting "to make pies you should have to heat the oven up first, that would make it more realistic!" or "to light a built fire it should take more than a couple of seconds, realism! YEAH!" No, that's terrible, there's absolutely no "content" in waiting more to light a fire, or having to put water on crops while doing boring farming, which would only make it more boring. Again, I never said foraging etc. are not boring, I'm just saying making them more boring is a bad idea and that's why I don't think explaining why it's boring is a good idea. Just a waste of time.
NOOBY93

Postby LadyV » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:14 pm

Well its a nice idea but it would require a lot of work. It would mean things like dams, canals, dikes, sluice gates, water wheels... then you would have to add tide functions for low and high tides.

Now I don't know about you but having to build massive irrigation systems would only serve to make another grind akin to a brick wall and create a point for which raiders to attack you. It would be a system mainly only well organized villages used.
LadyV

Postby Jomme » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:58 pm

NOOBY93 wrote:
Jomme wrote:Kinda ironic to call him out on doing something futile and in your other post you claim you want something changed - which is futile to want/suggest according to you. But I'll play ball.

I never said Haven wasn't a repetitive grindy game. I said adding boring content to a boring mechanic is boring. I want something changed, but I'm not suggesting anything because I know nothing will change. And like I give a shit if it was a harsh reaction? Anyway, the entire thread is one person suggesting his idea, 2 comments yes/no and 1 comment repeating what OP said but in one word. You can't really call that a thread because only the first post has any real "content" or whatever, so you can't say "the entire thread". If you want to discuss puppies go to the pet thread, but unfortunately here we started discussing farming on an empty thread which is why I think of it as a farming discussion thread. Do you really think someone should give thought to an idea like this? It's like suggesting "to make pies you should have to heat the oven up first, that would make it more realistic!" or "to light a built fire it should take more than a couple of seconds, realism! YEAH!" No, that's terrible, there's absolutely no "content" in waiting more to light a fire, or having to put water on crops while doing boring farming, which would only make it more boring. Again, I never said foraging etc. are not boring, I'm just saying making them more boring is a bad idea and that's why I don't think explaining why it's boring is a good idea. Just a waste of time.

''Like I give a shit if it was a harsh reaction'' yeah your reply sums up the HnH community in a few words. gg

Jomme

Postby Tonkyhonk » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:40 pm

GrapefruitV wrote:And the main thing is in Salem you can ignore farming completely, variety of hunting, fishing and foraging food can replace it even without trade. In haven hemp/flax quality matters too much to every other industry and carrots provide the best armour, so you can't choose to avoid it.

if you want to play any competitive in salem, farming is the last thing you should avoid for your stats raising, im afraid.
Tonkyhonk

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas