Developer Thoughts on PvP

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Developer Thoughts on PvP

Postby Kaios » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:47 am

They only prefer to play merciless criminals because the current game mechanics make this easier than playing the good willed ranger.
Kaios

Postby Jackard » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:13 am

Sylwira wrote:words

Read the OP. Nearly everything you do affects the world and/or other players, so the only way to not PvP is to not play the game.

You can blame the current state of the game on the lack of development.
Jackard

Postby burgingham » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:45 am

What Jackard said plus

When you create a character you can choose if you want to PvP or not. If you choose "not" you don't have access to any criminal skills, but in exchange you can't be killed by a player.

When will people learn that this will cause much, much more grief to the peaceful players than a full PvP system? In your little scenaris I am going to spam alt walls around your base as long as it takes you to quit the game and admit what a horrible, horrible idea this was.
burgingham

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:24 am

burgingham wrote:
When you create a character you can choose if you want to PvP or not. If you choose "not" you don't have access to any criminal skills, but in exchange you can't be killed by a player.

When will people learn that this will cause much, much more grief to the peaceful players than a full PvP system? In your little scenaris I am going to spam alt walls around your base as long as it takes you to quit the game and admit what a horrible, horrible idea this was.

because some people dont have a brain to understand what the op says?
i hope most who did read the op wouldnt make ignorant posts thus they just dont stand out.
Tonkyhonk

Postby Sylwira » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:58 pm

burgingham wrote:What Jackard said plus

That's why I'm saying it's a sad world, because it's made of people like you... :(
Sylwira

Postby burgingham » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 pm

No, you got me wrong there. It is bad game design when such things are possible, because someone will abuse them. The job of the devs is it to design their game in a way that such exploits are not possible and your idea is not contributing to that. You took my comment about me being the one griefing you too literal.
burgingham

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Sylwira wrote:That's why I'm saying it's a sad world, because it's made of people like you... :(

i dont think you understood the point of the op. ask someone from your community to translate it to your language for you, then you may see what you didnt understand from there.
it is a sad world indeed that you have to blame someone else for your own misunderstanding. and you arent the first nor last.
Tonkyhonk

Postby Jackard » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Sylwira wrote:That's why I'm saying it's a sad world, because it's made of people like you... :(

this is stupid. think about what you say
Jackard

Postby iceheart » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Since when did you need to"enanble" PvP to grief someone? I can go to your q125 clay node and bring it down to 10. Want to take retribution on me? I'm non PvP sucker! Even then the current system makes retribution a slap on the wrist.
USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST
iceheart

Postby Sylwira » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:13 pm

burgingham wrote:No, you got me wrong there. It is bad game design when such things are possible, because someone will abuse them. The job of the devs is it to design their game in a way that such exploits are not possible and your idea is not contributing to that. You took my comment about me being the one griefing you too literal.

Sorry
*of people you described
Tonkyhonk wrote:

i dont think you understood the point of the op. ask someone from your community to translate it to your language for you, then you may see what you didnt understand from there.
it is a sad world indeed that you have to blame someone else for your own misunderstanding. and you arent the first nor last.

I understand it quite well, I'm just not used to writing English so it's sometimes hard for me to express my thoughts well.
In short OP says that all actions in game are potentially offensive, I agree, but there are different levels of offensiveness.
If you are standing on a tile I'm interested in I can try to push you off it, kill you, but I can also accept that you were there first and it's yours and look for a tile that no one is standing on.
There's also another level: 'I'm totally not interested in a tile you are standing on because I have dozens of better ones, but I'll kill you anyway... just for fun'
Different people have different ways of acting and enjoying this game. I know that best spots, nodes, caves are already taken, and I'm not interested in claiming them because I respect the right of their first owners. This way I'm potentially less offensive than typical PvPer. If possibilities of forcefully taking anything from you are disabled for me, my offensiveness gets even lower. Especially when you have everything better than me anyway, so a possibility of me claiming anything that you might be interested in, is really small. Do you still need to kill me? Am I such a threat to you? Or will you kill me just for fun?
I'm not asking for immunity, or total immortality, just a little protection in exchange of lowered offensiveness. I know that griefers always can find a way to abuse another player, but my system would give a chance to run away and find safer place, without having to start from scratch just to find out that there's another killer around.

I understand my suggestion is far from being perfect, but I think that when perfection is impossible or to hard to achieve, it's better to do anything, than do nothing.
Yes I know that it's all pointless, World 6 has to stay the way it is and the only think left to do is to dream that next world will be better... some day...
Sylwira

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas