The Wardrobifier

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: The Wardrobifier

Postby Cajoes » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:14 pm

LadyV wrote:I think even if its just the addition of colors and maybe a few preset symbols it might be nice. That would allow custom clothing to some extent and if warriors want heraldric symbols on their armor they could. I'm not for custom image though that is ripe for abuse. Why not just draw from historic references for suggestions. I'm sure there are some simple ones that would be nice to add.

The minor quibble of that is that dicks and swastikas are in fact historical references. Look up the history of the humble valentine heart sometime. ♥

Our ancestors were terrible terrible people.
Cajoes

Postby LadyV » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Cajoes wrote:
LadyV wrote:I think even if its just the addition of colors and maybe a few preset symbols it might be nice. That would allow custom clothing to some extent and if warriors want heraldric symbols on their armor they could. I'm not for custom image though that is ripe for abuse. Why not just draw from historic references for suggestions. I'm sure there are some simple ones that would be nice to add.

The minor quibble of that is that dicks and swastikas are in fact historical references. Look up the history of the humble valentine heart sometime. ♥

:lol: I know heraldry has many dubious stories and images. Those are not what I'm referring to. If we allow custom image uploads to be placed then we open up for some truly nasty items. That is what I meant.
LadyV

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Stop oppressing my culture, if I'm going to have heraldry it must include the Holy Goatse :x
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby overtyped » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:56 pm

Potjeh wrote:Stop oppressing my culture, if I'm going to have heraldry it must include the Holy Goatse :x

Did someone say Goatse?
Goatse.png
Goatse.png (184.24 KiB) Viewed 780 times

Or did you mean this goatse?
black hole.png
black hole.png (253.61 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Last edited by overtyped on Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Cajoes » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Cajoes

Postby LadyV » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Potjeh wrote:Stop oppressing my culture, if I'm going to have heraldry it must include the Holy Goatse :x

Hmmm... the time of heraldry.... No sorry I'm allowed to oppress your culture. :P
LadyV

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:39 pm

Cajoes wrote:Look up the history of the humble valentine heart sometime. ♥

Wikipedia wrote:The "scalloped" shape of the now-familiar heart symbol, with a dent in its base, first arises in the early 14th century, at first only lightly dented, as in the miniatures in Francesco Barberino's Documenti d'amore (before 1320); a slightly later example with a more pronounced dent is found in a manuscript from the Cistercian monastery in Brussels (MS 4459–70, fol 192v. Royal Library of Belgium).

I must admit I fail to see what's so terrible about that.

LadyV wrote:If we allow custom image uploads to be placed then we open up for some truly nasty items. That is what I meant.

To be fair, though, you already have all of those in paving. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Arcanist » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:07 am

Custom images also allow factions to have personalised flags, which would make group combat much easier.
So what if someone wants to wear a swastika on their character, all that would happen is I (and many others) would kill on sight.

Another cool thing would be custom designs for authority objects (statues and banners).
Arcanist

Postby Jesus_Smith_Nandez » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:00 pm

On the topic of customization....
An example of a good vanity system is in Terraria. In it, there are three gear slots; one is the actual gear slot that gives you stats, the second is a vanity slot, meaning it gives you 0 stats but can be seen on your character over their actual gear, and the third is for a dye, which will change the shade of the items showing on your character on that slot. This could work in Haven and wouldn't be that hard to implement (I'm assuming).

There could also be items that give next-to-no or no stats in the game that are exclusively for vanity and would be varying in cost to make, with the ones that are the bitchiest to make being a status symbol. Dyes would also nearly all be huge bitches to make, like in real life, in order to make having a colorful character a status symbol of wealth. This would give end-game players another thing to focus on.

The only problem I can really think of with this is having end-game players dress up as nabs and go hunting arrogant people. Maybe the ability to see all the gear someone has on under their vanity items with a right-click flower option? I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas atm.
HnH Videos
God bless
Jesus_Smith_Nandez

Postby Kathdys » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 pm

Yeah, I was just going to say... Being able to judge the character of someone you meet by noting their iconic gear is vital. Power-gamers are going to have the best stat-boosting items. Necromancer's cloaks are your signal to flee in terror. And of course, there's the one most basic and essential purpose of clothing in the history of civilization: Being able to see how rich or poor someone is, at a glance.

I think all this is essential; even though mix-and-matching the best gear there is for you to wear mechanically can make you look like a garish clown, that's not a bug, it's a feature. It lets everyone know who you are and what your priorities are just by looking at you. If you had more refined tastes, you'd wear a more tasteful outfit even if it had inferior statistics, and as a result, other people would be able to see that you were more refined and tasteful (or at least not be able to see how loaded you were.) It works out pretty well.

I'm all in favour of more status symbols. There's a lot of item slots that have little competition, still, like the belt which has only one option (which is a cosmetic one). Has there been a war over a hat yet? If a war hasn't been fought over a hat yet, that's on the to-do list.
Kathdys

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas