Release Hafen on Steam for free.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Release Hafen on Steam for free.

Postby borka » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:28 am

sabinati wrote:"only fags buy games" - an actual game developer with a true F2P game and another sold

FIFY ;)

i bought records for 10 thousands of euros , i bought games for prolly 5 -6 thousand euros, i bought movies for some hundred euros (no blockbusters!), i bought books for 20thousand of euros ... today it's much lesser but i still do as i want to show some respect to artists work ...

so i guess i bought some rights for some people to download pirated shit with that too - the stakeholders i stuffed already enough
borka

Postby loftar » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:15 pm

Well, I am (mostly) just kidding, of course. The truth there is in it, however, is that pirating is just such a much more pleasant experience than buying a game. No DRM, no physical crap that I'd have to save (like CD cases with license keys on them), no needing to be online to verify against Steam/Origin servers, no money wasted if the game doesn't work for whatever reason (an extra real danger in Wine, of course), &c.

I would like to think that we've managed to avoid those things in our games, at least; except of course for the online requirement, but in our case that is at least intrinsic to the model and not superfluous. :)

A friend of mine got GTA V for XBone for Christmas, and we had a rather retarded experience with that, as he first couldn't even log in on his profile due to the servers being overloaded on Christmas, and then it took like an hour to install the game (which, apparently, is something that needs to be done on the XBone), and then, after we finally got to start playing, an hour or two into the gameplay it just abruptly aborted the game and wanted to patch it right then and there with no other choice, which required a 1 GB download and after which the game was, of course, restarted and whatever state we had in it was lost. For a bought game, that didn't exactly leave a great aftertaste.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Oddity » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:45 am

loftar wrote:A friend of mine got GTA V for XBone for Christmas, and we had a rather retarded experience with that, as he first couldn't even log in on his profile due to the servers being overloaded on Christmas, and then it took like an hour to install the game (which, apparently, is something that needs to be done on the XBone), and then, after we finally got to start playing, an hour or two into the gameplay it just abruptly aborted the game and wanted to patch it right then and there with no other choice, which required a 1 GB download and after which the game was, of course, restarted and whatever state we had in it was lost. For a bought game, that didn't exactly leave a great aftertaste.

Ugh, modern commercialized hyper-controlled super-advertised human-unfriendly electronic bullshit.

I agree with the thing LadyV said at the bottom of one of the previous pages. Haven doesn't need Steam.
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby ArvinJA » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:27 am

The low life has lost its appeal
And I'm tired of walking these streets
To a room with its cupboards bare
ArvinJA

Postby ramones » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Usually I prefer to just test the game through xy version and if I like it, I buy it.
W8 - Hermitage
W7 - Emerald City
W6 - Gomorrah
W5 - Pandemonium
W4 - Angkor
W3 - Angkor
ramones

Postby Sardte » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:04 pm

loftar wrote:Well, I am (mostly) just kidding, of course. The truth there is in it, however, is that pirating is just such a much more pleasant experience than buying a game. No DRM, no physical crap that I'd have to save (like CD cases with license keys on them), no needing to be online to verify against Steam/Origin servers, no money wasted if the game doesn't work for whatever reason (an extra real danger in Wine, of course), &c.

I would like to think that we've managed to avoid those things in our games, at least; except of course for the online requirement, but in our case that is at least intrinsic to the model and not superfluous. :)

A friend of mine got GTA V for XBone for Christmas, and we had a rather retarded experience with that, as he first couldn't even log in on his profile due to the servers being overloaded on Christmas, and then it took like an hour to install the game (which, apparently, is something that needs to be done on the XBone), and then, after we finally got to start playing, an hour or two into the gameplay it just abruptly aborted the game and wanted to patch it right then and there with no other choice, which required a 1 GB download and after which the game was, of course, restarted and whatever state we had in it was lost. For a bought game, that didn't exactly leave a great aftertaste.

That was because lizardsquad was epic haxxoring xbone and psnetwork over christmas though I believe. I don't actually own an xbox or ps3 pc master race but I don't think it's usually like that.
Also steam is pretty damn reliable now compared to what it used to be.
Either way I think that one of you should pull a Zoe Quinn and blow a few guys for some gaymin journalism coverage.
Sardte

Postby Kaios » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:06 am

loftar wrote:he first couldn't even log in on his profile due to the servers being overloaded on Christmas

The connectivity issues you were experiencing happened because Xbox and Playstation servers were supposedly DDOS attacked on either Christmas Eve or Day which then said attack apparently lasted for a couple of days.
Kaios

Postby loftar » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:58 am

Kaios wrote:
loftar wrote:he first couldn't even log in on his profile due to the servers being overloaded on Christmas

The connectivity issues you were experiencing happened because Xbox and Playstation servers were supposedly DDOS attacked on either Christmas Eve or Day which then said attack apparently lasted for a couple of days.

Sure, but I don't really think the reason matters, as there's no reason for these games to require server connectivity at all. It sounds like it will be even more fun when Microsoft decides they don't need to support the XBone anymore and the games become totally unplayable. My SNES does not have that problem, let's just say.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Kaios » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:23 am

loftar wrote:as there's no reason for these games to require server connectivity at all

I agree

It sounds like it will be even more fun when Microsoft decides they don't need to support the XBone anymore and the games become totally unplayable.

Well yeah it's bound to happen but who's to say by that time there won't be a new system on its way to the shelves in any case

Also as a side note, I play GTA V all the time and it's always a blast for me.
Kaios

Postby GrapefruitV » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Kaios wrote: who's to say by that time there won't be a new system on its way to the shelves in any case

I still use my Dendy :(
GrapefruitV

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas