More Generic/Dynamic Recipes

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: More Generic/Dynamic Recipes

Postby kirion554 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:25 am

As much as I like this idea, won't it be a headache for the devs to make everything from every combination of everything?
kirion554

Postby Jackard » Sun May 02, 2010 8:32 am

please think about this a little more. wouldnt it be more of a headache for devs to make an entire new recipe and icon for every possible item in the game instead of just using formulas to determine the specifics?

just look at some of the new foods theyve added - Spring Stew. it has no variations and there are no other types of stew. if they want another type of stew, they need a new recipe. nothing about that strikes you as backwards?
Jackard

Postby loftar » Sun May 02, 2010 10:42 pm

Jackard wrote:nothing about that strikes you as backwards?

God knows it does me. :) It struck me once again, just a few minutes ago, how much the current system sucks, as I looked in my inventory and realized that I couldn't combine my chantrelles and roasted meat to something just a bit more delicious than eating them separately.

There are a few core systems that I'm trying to rework at the moment. After that, I hope to be able to think of some kind of good way to produce food parametrically. It is, of course, not obvious how the various ingredients should interact in any formalized manner.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby KillerofLawyers » Mon May 03, 2010 2:49 am

You could also go a step further and introduce actual meals, which could provide a even bigger bonus as a trade off for actually having to take the time to sit down and eat. Perhaps it could function something like smoking pot, and give you a 10-20% boost in the FEP gained. Besides, wouldn't it be cool to sit down in a Tavern and have a good square meal rather than just randomly eating what's laying around?
KillerofLawyers

Postby theTrav » Mon May 03, 2010 5:31 am

Have you spent much time cooking Loftar? Grab some elementary text-books on the subject? What about biology of the taste buds? A few relatively simple expressions around salty, sweet, sour, bitter could make some good combinations.

Maybe just have a MASSIVE table of exceptions, and if something's not on the list it either fails or falls back on some "degrees of bland" formula?

If you're talking about the ingredients reacting to form products, as opposed to just the statistic/tastiness formula, then I reckon it's not as bad as you'd think, there's a few pretty solid archetypes in cooked food, most things are just variations on that.
theTrav

Postby loftar » Mon May 03, 2010 5:42 am

Well, I'm sure I (or, by some odd chance, Jorb) will be able to think of something interesting if I just think about it; the point was just that I haven't done so yet. Writing my new object system for the server comes first (and then a new map generator, LP elimination, whatever fancy strikes Jorb in the meantime, ...). :)
loftar

Postby jorb » Mon May 03, 2010 7:12 am

loftar wrote:Well, I'm sure I will be able to think of something interesting

*facepalm*
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby ImpalerWrG » Mon May 03, 2010 1:19 pm

loftar wrote:
Jackard wrote:nothing about that strikes you as backwards?

God knows it does me. :) It struck me once again, just a few minutes ago, how much the current system sucks, as I looked in my inventory and realized that I couldn't combine my chantrelles and roasted meat to something just a bit more delicious than eating them separately.

There are a few core systems that I'm trying to rework at the moment. After that, I hope to be able to think of some kind of good way to produce food parametrically. It is, of course, not obvious how the various ingredients should interact in any formalized manner.

I recommend against a simplistic system in which ingredients are just summed together, say for instance your Chantrelles always and only add Dex FEP to what ever recipe they are a part of, some unpredictability is what makes trying new recipies exciting. You should establish a set of bonuses and modifiers that are associated with each basic template and rank them high/med/low. Then specify the relative rank of each ingredient for its use in each template slot. Using the highest ranked ingredient for the template gets the highest ranked modifiers which are applied to a baseline effect for the template. This allows an ingredient to have different effects based on what it is used in and decouples ingredient directly from the effects which allows effects to be tailored much more specifically to the template in question. It also gives the play some clue what ingredients are superior or inferior for a purpose without giving away too much.

For example say their is a basic sausage template that has a 'spices' slot. Pepper could have a high rank for that purpose resulting in a better chance to roll a bonus of some sort. Other ingredients like clover or onion would be allowed but be lower ranked thus less likely to produce a bonus or the set of bonus effects is smaller/restricted. Especially low ranked stuff can give a penalty.
ImpalerWrG

Postby loftar » Mon May 03, 2010 3:01 pm

jorb wrote:

*facepalm*

Hm? I think you missed the most important part from your citation -- that part which would have made your reply make sense. :)
loftar

Postby jorb » Mon May 03, 2010 5:35 pm

loftar wrote:
jorb wrote:

*facepalm*

Hm? I think you missed the most important part from your citation -- that part which would have made your reply make sense. :)

learn 2 read nublet lol!11!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas