Developer Thoughts on PvP

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Developer Thoughts on PvP

Postby Jackard » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:06 am

Apples Are Murder
Jackard

Postby Pazzy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:09 am

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

I think all PVP troubles can be sloved with orders system. Let me try to explain... For example it can be 3 typical orders
-Stop right there
-Put all your gear/inventory/study on the ground
-Dont touch this land and GTFO
And 2 choises for other player
-confirm
-deny
If player confirm, his inventory/gear/study drops on the ground, and player auto-travels to HF
If player deny, he can be KO ed, take penalty(for example it can be decrease LP gain ) And all his inv can be taken without scents. Study and Gear cannot be. First player can repeat order to put all gear/Study on the ground, and second player have same choises. But if he deny again, he can be killed. This is not TOTAL SLOVING scheme, but maybe it can show the way to sloving
Pazzy

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:26 am

Jackard wrote:Apples Are Murder

I missed all this, must have been while I was away, I just had to read through all of that to find out why 'apples are murder' - :lol:

Irealys wrote: Parents aren't just about giving physical body, a name and throwing you into a forest. Well, most parents aren't. I don't know for yours.

Jorbs parents did exactly this, where do you think his inspiration comes from? It was literally a dog eat dog existence, Jorb was raised by wolves, everybody knows this. :roll:

Irealys wrote:There is a difference between hand-holding and a basic tutorial. It wouldn't kill those two assholes in the cave to tell me this game is about getting LPs from discovering new stuff, that I should be aware of my starving meter and to be ready to defend myself. And even that wouldn't really be enough to give newbies a chance against douchebags but it would at least be a fucking start.

Being serious now - I honestly don't understand what you find so difficult, I very rarely ever bother with tutorials for any game, the basic principles are always the same - click things and see what happens. If you are really stuck there is a wiki, a forum full of players to help you and threads devoted to explaining things for newbies, including a step by step guide - all of us here have managed just fine with all the many avenues of help available.

As for being killed or stolen from by other players, yes, I'll say it again, it's both annoying and upsetting but once you get over the initial disappointment you will find you've learnt something, esp about protecting your stuff and yourself. I've been playing this game for three worlds now and have only lost one char to another player, plenty to other newb mistakes and aurochs, lol, but only once via an actual murder. There are plenty of steps you can take to keep safe but these come with experience of the game and include the experience of death, by whatever means. The same applies to being raided, you pick yourself back up, repair the damage and restock, next time round you build your walls quicker, make sure you have access to metals, don't stockpile until you are secure and store important items on an alt - you don't need armies of them either, I start with one to hold keys and valuables and stay that way until I have b/walls.

It's always a shame when players quit after their first experience of death or raiding, it's part of the learning curve in any pvp environment and Haven is so rewarding in terms of survival, progress, builds and crafting it seems silly to me to give up at the first hurdle. I hope you came back and gave it another go, it's worth the odd death or loss of gear. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby CTheRain » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:39 am

I just found this game and read this entire thread...

Would separating combat from actual skills like farming and shit like that be a good idea? Similar to how World of Warcraft and Runescape does it. A combat level and skill levels.

Also limiting how much combat abilities one can have or making it more specialized. Like someone who focuses purely on marksmanship and archery won't be able to get extremely high in UA or others. Like a hardcap appears once a certain ability reaches 100 or 200. So if you raise UA to 200 you could only get maybe 150 max in Archery.
I haven't actually played the game yet... So some things I don't understand except from the Wikipedia.

Also would making the combat kinda like
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
It would probably be tough to design everything again and it wouldn't be "lag" friendly but it would be neat. I'm just asking questions here so don't steal my pants for asking :shock:
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby Arcanist » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:57 am

CTheRain wrote:I haven't actually played the game yet... So some things I don't understand except from the Wikipedia.

Combat is seperate from actual skill levels already, and combat takes less than half of the skills anyway, most of them are crafting based.

I have no idea what Zelda's combat is like, and you have no idea what haven't combat is like, perhaps you should play before you critique
Arcanist

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:09 am

CTheRain wrote:I'm just asking questions here so don't steal my pants for asking :shock:

Lame comment that cheapens everything else you've said.

Haven's combat styles are not equal for better or worse. Archery, for example, is not practically useful for PvP, instead you mainly use it to hunt animals or snipe players afking behind their walls.
For all intents and purposes forcing a hardcap across all combat styles wouldn't change anything. The best fighters split their growth between the two melee combat skills for defensive and damage purposes. Likewise no real time pvp game is friendly to lag, so nothing changes.
TeckXKnight

Postby CTheRain » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:47 am

Arcanist wrote:
CTheRain wrote:I haven't actually played the game yet... So some things I don't understand except from the Wikipedia.

Combat is seperate from actual skill levels already, and combat takes less than half of the skills anyway, most of them are crafting based.

I have no idea what Zelda's combat is like, and you have no idea what haven't combat is like, perhaps you should play before you critique

I wasn't criticizing the combat, just posting ideas. Also I'm afraid :? to play until I read everything about the game and go in knowing a lot to die and learn more. LoZ combat is...

To put it simple.

TeckXKnight wrote:
CTheRain wrote:I'm just asking questions here so don't steal my pants for asking :shock:

Lame comment that cheapens everything else you've said.

Haven's combat styles are not equal for better or worse. Archery, for example, is not practically useful for PvP, instead you mainly use it to hunt animals or snipe players afking behind their walls.
For all intents and purposes forcing a hardcap across all combat styles wouldn't change anything. The best fighters split their growth between the two melee combat skills for defensive and damage purposes. Likewise no real time pvp game is friendly to lag, so nothing changes.

Yeah its strength and constitution for the DMG/DEF purposes right? My only problem with the game is the lack of viability with archery combat from what I've read and saw. I've never been a CQC type person, more of an eagle eyes type guy like I was in the US Army. The hardcap was a proposed idea to try and get others to "specialize" in combat rather than being everything. Although I think that's already the thing with learning points and the cost increase. But even messing with the multiplier it would just encourage more botting... And I agree with you that no game is without lag, unless you live in the server room.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby Arcanist » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:45 am

If you start now, you won't need to worry about PvP for a few months atleast, you won't have a change at defending yourself against a player.

Characters are already specialized in fighting, or crafting, rarely both.

Yeah its strength and constitution for the DMG/DEF purposes right?

I combat, all stats are equally useful (except psy and dex), and should be raised as such.
Arcanist

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:15 am

Arcanist wrote:Characters are already specialized in fighting, or crafting, rarely both.

Very much this. I think it's worth asking if this should be the case though. Specialization is cool and all in that it encourages players to dedicate themselves to individual areas but, in practical application, it mostly means that everyone makes at least 1 combat alt and 2 crafter alts for industry/nature.

If there was a starker drop off through growth, say, a cube root or worse instead of a square root, then every character would want to pick up points early on because of their lasting value. For a character to completely be able to dominate a crafter they'd need a large gap. Even in an older world such as this you'd feel the difference. This would create a bit more generalization early on and dedication later on similar to what we have now but impactful through the early and mid game.
TeckXKnight

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas