Developer Thoughts on PvP

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Developer Thoughts on PvP

Postby furgarr » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:40 pm

lets make thing clear bettewn real life and a this game

im a former sword fighter , ( yes it exits) and have duel for a long time . if this game was close to real life well ppl would have a max at there stats. cause in real life ppl do in a way. at one point you get bested by someone younger or faster . the day after you might have the upper hand there no real n1 in life only a future one. The only thing missing in this game is law and order ... BUT a long time ago there was no such thing. only contrys (like in HnH) who made up there rules as they go and gather ppl to fight for ressource and fun. ( that sound like the life of our ancestor..!!!) So imagine your in that time where there no expectation expt the time you live and do the best whit it and if you can bring your ennemie down whit you . or is entire town well youll be glad to die for it even behind your screen... :)

a bit spycho but that how humanity is always on the edge.
furgarr

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:36 pm

If you think there is a "Max" to real abilities, you're sadly mistaken. There will always be somebody better, someone faster, someone smarter, someone stronger. Thus someone will likely always have a few more points in life than you do. Even someone that was the best at one point will lose that edge as life continues. You might have been a real swordsman (and there's a few here), but you fail at being a true warrior philosopher.

edit: ok, after the post following mine, I realized I left out some thoughts. Even without growing older, the facts still hold true. Just look at how much stronger and faster athletes are today than they were 50 years ago. It seems like every 4 years at the Olympics, records are being broken with only a small amount of that performance increase being attributed to mechanical technology improvements (lighter materials, better aerodynamics, etc.)
Last edited by MagicManICT on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Waaaaat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 pm

magicman you're saying the same thing he said.
Waaaaat

Postby furgarr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:27 am

MagicManICT wrote:If you think there is a "Max" to real abilities, you're sadly mistaken. There will always be somebody better, someone faster, someone smarter, someone stronger. Thus someone will likely always have a few more points in life than you do. Even someone that was the best at one point will lose that edge as life continues. You might have been a real swordsman (and there's a few here), but you fail at being a true warrior philosopher.

edit: ok, after the post following mine, I realized I left out some thoughts. Even without growing older, the facts still hold true. Just look at how much stronger and faster athletes are today than they were 50 years ago. It seems like every 4 years at the Olympics, records are being broken with only a small amount of that performance increase being attributed to mechanical technology improvements (lighter materials, better aerodynamics, etc.)

:) i prob was not explainning my self it the best form ( englsih not my first language) but what you said in your quote i what i wanted to says . youll be one day out bested by someone and for this game its prob is :)
furgarr

Postby enconclock » Thu May 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Ah, yes, smileyface emoticon, he is truly the greatest swordsman in all the lands.
enconclock

Postby Cyhidraethe » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:05 pm

furgarr wrote:The only thing missing in this game is law and order ... BUT a long time ago there was no such thing. only contrys (like in HnH) who made up there rules as they go and gather ppl to fight for ressource and fun. ( that sound like the life of our ancestor..!!!) So imagine your in that time where there no expectation expt the time you live and do the best whit it and if you can bring your ennemie down whit you . or is entire town well youll be glad to die for it even behind your screen... :)
a bit spycho but that how humanity is always on the edge.

There has always been and will always be the law of nature; Eat or be eaten.
Even today with all of our laws and "order".
Cyhidraethe

Postby drevnyy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 pm

yes but it's pretty lame when u play a week you manage to make a yeomanry skill and some walking around douchebag decide to kill you because he want to try will i die on 1 hit. i'm not saying that pvp isn't needed cause it's one of basics but it should be unable to kill someone with 70-90% less total LP than u have.

Allowing to kill newbies is more natural BUT that way we repel new players
drevnyy

Postby ApocalypsePlease » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 pm

The way you suggest letting people having X% less LP than you be untargetable is abusable, and goes against the main concept Jorb talks about that every action in some way or another can be considered PvP/offensive.
Inactive
ApocalypsePlease

Postby kaizokuroof » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:35 am

drevnyy wrote:yes but it's pretty lame when u play a week you manage to make a yeomanry skill and some walking around douchebag decide to kill you because he want to try will i die on 1 hit. i'm not saying that pvp isn't needed cause it's one of basics but it should be unable to kill someone with 70-90% less total LP than u have.

Allowing to kill newbies is more natural BUT that way we repel new players

Haven and Hearth is not for the faint of heart, the main goal when you first start your adventure is survival. Those that rage quit sure as hell aren't meant for the game, not to be an arrogant prick, but this game is not for casuals.

AND Just because you can get 1 hit, does not mean you're totally helpless. Many people die due to lack of knowledge, use the environment to your advantage, if someone attacks you, don't sit there and beg for mercy, run away as fast as you can. :) and if you die, so what? Better to have died young then have your 13+ million LP character get stompped into the ground because you're building your first palisade
I had a retardedly huge signature and have gotten this embarrassing replacement to show for it.
kaizokuroof

Postby Tonkyhonk » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 am

kaizokuroof wrote:this game is not for casuals.

i beg to differ. you need meat too.

seriously, casuals can have fun too, but need some thick skin.
Tonkyhonk

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas