What to do about Vaults

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Illegal Hearth Vault on

Postby rye130 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:25 am

They can implement the Salem thing where you can't teleport when you have items in your inventory. Also how will it work if you have no hearthfire, and log off where you can't log back in? Wilderness spawn is the only option?
rye130

Postby Potjeh » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:13 am

rye130 wrote:Koya does raise a good point though I think. Curiousities definitely promote "test tube hearthlings". A hearthling that spends it whole life in a vault being force fed curiousities. It essentially never needs to leave the vault at all.

Nothing wrong with that if you can find and smash the test tubes. Unfortunately, you can't.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby rozn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 am

Mvpeh wrote:Teleportation being taken out - I agree.

However, with Hearth Fires.. it would be hard to think about not being able to teleport back to them.

Can anyone elaborate on an alternative to teleportation based on a Hearth Fire?

I am also confused about this. If you do not have a village then would you only be able to log in where you logged out and somewhere random? Wouldent the scents have to be changed in that case?
Certainly, in taking revenge, a man is but even with his enemy; but in passing it over, he is superior; for it is a prince’s part to pardon. - A wise friend.
rozn

Postby bitza » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:48 am

other than, say, building a wall of HFs to block off something, have they ever been used for dirty tricks? it's pretty late here and all but i can't really think of any off of the top of my head. since HF has no hitbox for its owner, it seems to me that HFs have never been used for the wall jump buggery that was previously common with crossroads and village idols.

the only way i can forsee to remove hearth fires would be to make possible to summon at claim. what this would mean, then, is people would never extend personal claims past their wall, opening up a major security hole in plot design (easier wall-ins).

edit: and this isn't really feasible in the event of a player training up theft or vandalism, but not yeomanry.

EyeOfRa wrote:You have o be able to teleport to a HF, you could visit someone you thought was a friend, who could then wall the point you logged off in, and then, bang, insta death, no scents.

this means you have to be able to log in at a HF, not necessarily teleport to it. however, this would negate the purpose altogether of removing fast travel - i go outside, forage curios, log out, and then log in at HF. in order to remove fast travel altogether in this case, perhaps a HF could be automatically spawned at the place where you logged out. i'm sure though that this would lead to a lot of tricky situations in conjuction with the emergent gameplay shown by h&h players, which would require other adjustments.
Karede wrote: It takes a special kind of autism to play this game
bitza

Postby Whippet » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:02 am

bitza wrote:the only way i can forsee to remove hearth fires would be to make possible to summon at claim. what this would mean, then, is people would never extend personal claims past their wall, opening up a major security hole in plot design (easier wall-ins).

Perhaps make it so the perpetrator is summonable by their Claim Stake?
However, it would be a requirement that the summoner stand next to the Claim Stake, and as such must breach any walls protecting the stake before summoning.
Whippet

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:04 am

Whippet wrote:Perhaps make it so the perpetrator is summonable by their Claim Stake?
However, it would be a requirement that the summoner stand next to the Claim Stake, and as such must breach any walls protecting the stake before summoning.

then players can just use alts with no pclaim for crimes or let alts make all pclaims or whatever.
Tonkyhonk

Postby bitza » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:07 am

right, but i just poked a hole in that whole idea a couple minutes ago:
edit: and this isn't really feasible in the event of a player training up theft or vandalism, but not yeomanry.

so the summon point has to be something that's common for ALL characters, not something that comes about from a skill requirement. something that any character is required to have and will start with, like........a hearth fire :?

so, before fast travel to hearth fire could be removed, here's what would have to be addressed:

1. where would a player be summoned from?
2. where would a player log in?

keeping in mind that not everyone has a village idol or even a claim to use for these purposes.

being able to log in at a hearth fire will effectively negate the effects of removing travel to HF, only adding another step in the process (example above - log out and log back in at HF)
Last edited by bitza on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
bitza

Postby Vigilance » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:10 am

replace hearthfires with beds.

players may be summoned at beds

players that log off without sleeping in a bed remain in the world space

players that log in are given the option to log in at their bed or at their village claim, if they have one? :?
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby bitza » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:16 am

where does the player go, if the bed is destroyed while they are sleeping?

if the player enters the game space - this is summoning without a scent.
if the player doesn't enter the game space - this is an easy forced wilderness spawn, destroy the bed and put a different object over it.
bitza

Postby Patchouli_Knowledge » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:23 am

bitza wrote:where does the player go, if the bed is destroyed while they are sleeping?

I believe if gravity takes places, they will receive a rude awakening when they make impact upon the floor.
-=The law of inverse desire=- The chances of dropping what you want is the reciprocal of how much you want it.
Patchouli_Knowledge

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas