On Content Submission and/or Help.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

On Content Submission and/or Help.

Postby jorb » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:40 pm

We've been putting this off for a while, but we feel we need to make some sort of statement: While we are flattered by a lot of the offers of coding/drawing assistance that we have been getting lately, we do not currently accept any offers of direct help in the hands on construction of Haven & Hearth. Loftar does the coding, I draw the sprites (Except for: Cow Chorizo, One Lime Hairdo (Kaka only), One Bad Idea/Cow Egg), and that is that.

Two main reasons for this: Creative control, and legal ownership. Haven & Hearth is our game -- not open source, not a community project -- plain and simple.

With that said: We love every bit of feedback you care to give us, and we read every post in these forums.

Thank you for playing, or for just taking an interest. (And we mean that.)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: On Content Submission and/or Help.

Postby sami1337 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:00 pm

I wonder what it's like to be a student with your own online game up and running populated with people enjoying themselves. Must be awesome. :D
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Vanigo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:38 pm

Hey, how direct is direct? If my inferences regarding the sort step are correct, I think you could eliminate it entirely. I don't know any details, of course (I don't even know if you're using OpenGL or DirectX), but if it means you're sorting the sprites by y-position so you can use the painter's algorithm, the basic idea is almost definitely sound. I'd love to get the gigantic performance increase this would buy us, but I'm not sure if telling you is kosher.
Vanigo

Postby theTrav » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:42 am

Vanigo wrote:Hey, how direct is direct? If my inferences regarding the sort step are correct, I think you could eliminate it entirely. I don't know any details, of course (I don't even know if you're using OpenGL or DirectX), but if it means you're sorting the sprites by y-position so you can use the painter's algorithm, the basic idea is almost definitely sound. I'd love to get the gigantic performance increase this would buy us, but I'm not sure if telling you is kosher.

They are using OpenGL. Loftar has accepted programming advice on at least one occasion (hardware mouse for UI) but for the most part it's unnecessary, he's a pretty capable coder, time and motivation is what he's short on rather than solutions.

Time can only be given by doing some of the work for him (or convincing him to work on the game full time by paying him enough money to retire on tomorrow) Motivation to work on UI code is something I don't think he'll be getting any time soon.

There has been talk of them opening up the UI code though *NagNagNag* but I think they need to sort out licensing first. I believe they can open up the UI code without releasing the images or the server code, there's also some licenses that allow them to publish the code and accept contributions, but they own whatever you give them, so they could change it to a closed license whenever they want.

I'd be happy with that. I'm not a Lawyer and don't deal with code licenses much at all, so take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm sure they'll work it out...
theTrav

Postby Jackard » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:33 am

Would opening UI code open the possibility that higher resolutions might become available?
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

Postby ArPharazon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:35 am

Aw, and I was just about to post my HH icons! =/ Oh well.
ArPharazon

Postby Reeyfer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:02 am

On the one hand I can completely understand the desire to maintain complete control of your project, no questions asked, especially with as many people out there as they are who will just try to screw you.

On the other hand NEED MORE HAVEN NAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW
Reeyfer

Postby JustasJ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Wouldn't content submission work if the contributors gave up their rights to their work?
Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps, down new roads, armed with nothing but their own vision.
- Ayn Rand
JustasJ

Postby jorb » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Nobody touches my baby. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby SpidersEverywhere » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:36 pm

You're putting in babies? Can we cook them?
skreee
SpidersEverywhere

Return to Critique & Ideas