Sharp tools revamp

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Sharp tools revamp

Postby vatas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:18 am

Basically I think having to rely on Stone Axes is somewhat silly when you can work steel.

Problem is that Stone Axe is simpliest to raise in quality and mass-produce.

My suggestion is that Tools gain derived attributes from quality instead using raw quality in formulas. Armor gains Deflect/Absorb and Hitpoints from quality. Similarily sharp tools can be

Stone Axe q10/q50
Chop: 10/50
Chip: 10/50
Skin: 10/25
Butcher: 10/25
Harvest 10/
Shear

For Skinning, Butchering and Shearing you could make metal tools that would gain higher score to be used in the formula than their quality.

Also tools should be separated from just "hard metal" to bronze, wrought iron and steel tools which all have better ratio for quality=sharpness score.

For example for shearing sheep: Stone Axe q100<Bronze Shears q30<Iron Shears q20<Steel Shears q10

I am really bad at formatting this. Try asking questions and I will try to explain my idea.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Re: Sharp tools revamp

Postby LadyV » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:59 am

I agree we should have metal tools. New ones are nice as well. Ill disagree on your ratios. In all honesty metal tools, with the exception of modern precision tools, are not usually better but instead more easily used or produced. Your example of shears is a good one. Cutting wools is easier with a tool with graspable handles than a sharp axe. Less maneuvering. However that same stone axe is more precise at other things.
LadyV

Postby Tonkyhonk » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:55 am

vatas wrote:Problem is that Stone Axe is simpliest to raise in quality and mass-produce.

mass produce, yes, but not to raise in quality. i think it is easier to raise quality of iron with spiral smithing and tin/copper with prayer than trying to raise the stone quality. with b12 you have leather to push up the quality though its two-handed.
look around, the best q sharp tools are hardly stone axes in late game.

edit
ah, sorry, you said "simpliest" and not "easiest".
Tonkyhonk

Postby vatas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:59 am

LadyV wrote:I agree we should have metal tools. New ones are nice as well. Ill disagree on your ratios. In all honesty metal tools, with the exception of modern precision tools, are not usually better but instead more easily used or produced. Your example of shears is a good one. Cutting wools is easier with a tool with graspable handles than a sharp axe. Less maneuvering. However that same stone axe is more precise at other things.

Ratios are just for example I admit I don't have know-how to do balancing on a game like Haven.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby LadyV » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:20 am

@Vatas I like your idea of metal tools and new ones. I just prefer letting jorb and Loftar balance things. :)
LadyV

Return to Critique & Ideas