I had a dream and it seemed cool

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

I had a dream and it seemed cool

Postby titanuranus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:03 am

Maybe in another world have a couple major landmarks that spawn really rare/powerful/unique stuff every week or so?
Like a wizards tower, dragon den, troll camp, idk. There'd no buidling in those areas, kind of like cave entrances.
Could be kind of cool and keep things interesting and make the world flavorful; along the lines of what they were talking about with the biome revamp.
titanuranus

Re: I had a dream and it seemed cool

Postby overtyped » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:20 pm

titanuranus wrote:Maybe in another world have a couple major landmarks that spawn really rare/powerful/unique stuff every week or so?
Like a wizards tower, dragon den, troll camp, idk. There'd no buidling in those areas, kind of like cave entrances.
Could be kind of cool and keep things interesting and make the world flavorful; along the lines of what they were talking about with the biome revamp.

been suggested already. You probably read a post about it, and then thought it was your own idea.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby titanuranus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:30 pm

I figured that might have been the case, but wanted to say it anyway if it wasn't.
titanuranus

Postby SynthAura » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:13 am

Regardless of whether this is a repost, +1.
SynthAura

Postby Unostop » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:06 am

SynthAura wrote:Regardless of whether this is a repost, +1.

I agree. Not everyone has been around long enough for those past conversations. Never hurts to take a second look at stuff
Four legs good. Two legs bad
Unostop

Postby TeckXKnight » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:12 am

It'd generate absolute stratification between the wealthy and the poor. Those able to covet these areas would do so and they would hoard powerful artifacts. If you don't already have access to one, you will never have access to one.

If you don't believe me, look at high quality resources. At least with resources you can have similar quality goods, though the higher quality stuff will always be strictly better. If you simply have rare/unique items that have no comparable equal being pumped out for free from these things then they'll just be a blight.

Metal nodes were much like this in world 3.
TeckXKnight

Postby LadyV » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:26 am

I have to agree with Teck on this. The only way you could make it work and fair at the same time is to have a random event pop up signalling this special quest is possible and then ask the player if they wish to undertake it. Then you could transport them to a separate map area, not normally reachable. A good example would be wandering a cave and you spot a opening int he wall. "Do you wish to explore it?" I'm all for unique and helpful items so long as they are not game breaking.
LadyV

Postby loftar » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:01 pm

I hope you realize that someone would need to create such really rare/powerful/unique stuff, along with major landmarks, quest lore and intelligent creatures, every week or so.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby shubla » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:21 pm

loftar wrote:I hope you realize that someone would need to create such really rare/powerful/unique stuff, along with major landmarks, quest lore and intelligent creatures, every week or so.

Finally you know your job!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby LadyV » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:34 pm

loftar wrote:I hope you realize that someone would need to create such really rare/powerful/unique stuff, along with major landmarks, quest lore and intelligent creatures, every week or so.

That is a bit ambitious. How about a special thing now and then? I think the op intent is more for fun than frequency. :)
LadyV

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas