Coconut n banana trees,monkeys and stuff.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Coconut n banana trees,monkeys and stuff.

Postby Rodimus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:16 am

I think this things would make HnH awesome if they were added.
Coconut tree gives 3 logs if chopped like pine tree.also gives 8 bough,4 coconuts and 1 bark.grows only on mudflats(because it is desert :D )
banana tree gives only 2 and has less quality(it shouldnt be called a tree lawl).gives 3 bananas and 5 boughs.grows on grasslands.
monkeys( only spawns on grasslands because bananas,cant be tamed) gives monkey hide and monkey meat.(i hate intestines)
W7 - Crestfall
W8 - Silvermoon
W10 - Pueblo Comedia
W11 - Misplaced Caves
W12 - Insulated Gulch
W14 - Vallblómbyrđa
W14 - Local Area Network
W15 - ???
Rodimus

Re: Coconut n banana trees,monkeys and stuff.

Postby Kathdys » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:24 am

I'm pretty sure the H&H setting is based on what the Romans called Magna Germania, or thereabouts. Palm trees are only found in Western Europe and around the Mediterranean; Monkeys are even more limited, only found around Morocco/Gibraltar and Tunisia.

Banana trees are only found in Morocco/Gibraltar, Tunisia, the Nile River Valley and Israel. Coconut trees aren't native to anywhere in Europe, the closest they can be found is on the shore of the Red Sea. The idea isn't bad, but it doesn't really fit the game setting, either. I'd prefer to see ash trees and game birds included before I'd see Mediterranean flora and fauna.
Kathdys

Postby Rodimus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:17 am

ok...
W7 - Crestfall
W8 - Silvermoon
W10 - Pueblo Comedia
W11 - Misplaced Caves
W12 - Insulated Gulch
W14 - Vallblómbyrđa
W14 - Local Area Network
W15 - ???
Rodimus

Postby Axatros » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Great idea but it means that devs have to add other biomes... Biomes and other stuff means updates... Updates means updates... :o have anyone ever heard about updates in HnH?
Pixel art is and always will be better than this plastic looking Hafen you gave us here.
Axatros

Postby LadyV » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:37 pm

It does not fit the game theme. I do however support new plants and animals that do fit. :)
LadyV

Postby Kfarts » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:19 am

Axatros wrote:Great idea but it means that devs have to add other biomes... Biomes and other stuff means updates... Updates means updates... :o have anyone ever heard about updates in HnH?

Updates mean world wipes...
Kfarts

Postby TeckXKnight » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:15 am

Kfarts wrote:
Axatros wrote:Great idea but it means that devs have to add other biomes... Biomes and other stuff means updates... Updates means updates... :o have anyone ever heard about updates in HnH?

Updates mean world wipes...

Not necessarily, most updates go through without a wipe. The only need for a wipe if there's a compatibility break, such as with this where there would be a new mapgen with new biomes. That said, Haven probably won't be getting anymore updates as Hafen will be getting them all.
TeckXKnight

Postby Rodimus » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:36 am

teh trut haz been spoken
W7 - Crestfall
W8 - Silvermoon
W10 - Pueblo Comedia
W11 - Misplaced Caves
W12 - Insulated Gulch
W14 - Vallblómbyrđa
W14 - Local Area Network
W15 - ???
Rodimus

Postby Karede » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:48 am

Kathdys wrote:I'm pretty sure the H&H setting is based on what the Romans called Magna Germania, or thereabouts. Palm trees are only found in Western Europe and around the Mediterranean; Monkeys are even more limited, only found around Morocco/Gibraltar and Tunisia.

Banana trees are only found in Morocco/Gibraltar, Tunisia, the Nile River Valley and Israel. Coconut trees aren't native to anywhere in Europe, the closest they can be found is on the shore of the Red Sea. The idea isn't bad, but it doesn't really fit the game setting, either. I'd prefer to see ash trees and game birds included before I'd see Mediterranean flora and fauna.

Yeah, we can't have things that don't fit the setting. Only native flora and fauna like tea, pumpkins, tobacco and silkworms
Karede

Postby Kathdys » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:33 am

Sericulture fits better than you might think. It originated in China over four thousand years ago, but it was brought to Europe over a thousand years ago. Mulberry cultivation is more common in Southern Europe, but they aren't tropical plants. Tea follows a similar story, although herbal teas can be brewed from many things, so it's sort of ambiguous. The domestication of wild silkmoths and wild windsown weeds are a compromise for gameplay's sake, the full Marco Polo experience could be a game on its own.

Pumpkins come from North America, though they can grow almost anywhere. Turnips were used before pumpkins in Europe, for the same purposes. Pumpkins are bigger, and look cooler than turnips, while filling the same niche... I'm ambivalent about this one. Cultivated tobacco also comes from North America, and pipes for smoking it were probably invented by Native Americans, but believe it or not, it can be grown as far north as the south shore of the Baltic sea.

So... What these four things have in common is they all do fit in to the right culture and biome (albeit with some anachronism; try telling an Irishman that potatoes aren't Irish.) Though, some of them come from China and some of them come from North America, they all thrive under cultivation in a temperate forested (or manually deforested)region, and perhaps except for the pumpkin, they're all archetypical trade goods in the English-speaking world. And pumpkins look cooler than turnips.

I guess they don't have to be native to Europe so long as they became really popular in that region and were brought there to stay, anyway. Maybe I'm being mean to monkeys, bananas, and coconuts. I'm definitely being mean to turnips, but I'm remorseless in that regard.
Kathdys

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas