Degradeable curios

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Degradeable curios

Postby Hasmond » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:37 am

TeckXKnight wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about Hasmond. Higher level curiosities do not take longer to study and it would not, in the context of this suggestion or the game, make any sense to make them take longer. The lp/hour punishment that you're referencing is a leap in logic on your part as far as I can tell. You're assuming everything degrades to 0, I think. It's entirely likely that, with the way LadyV worded the opening and the argument, the quality degradation is either fixed or on a scale. So a q100 item would turn into a potential q90 after an hour while a q10 may only turn into a potential q9.

I didn't see it that way, thanks for clearing it up.
Hasmond

Postby LadyV » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:27 pm

TeckXKnight wrote:I still don't see this suggestion as super necessary and even though it's simple, it's an overcomplicated method to mildly inconvenience thieves and raiders, but I understand what the suggestion is now and that makes a world of difference. If I'm misunderstanding its use, can you please clarify its practical application LadyV? I honest to goodness was struggling to get my head around what this suggestion actually was since it was posted.

Alright Teck. The practical is that people would have to manage their studies for a change. It is so easy to load curios to an empty study. Is it so easy to a half finished study? Will everything that you have fit? Will you change it around if their is no penalty? Somtimes our modern minds are to focused on efficiency when a more proper course is extracting the best we can.

A curio as I see it is a curiosity that sparks thought in some way. Maybe that straw doll teaches you social skills or new ideas for warfare. That petrified seashell may teach you deeper meanings of life. The curio is not he issue but the study of it is. If we do not finish the study of an object we do not formulate full ideas from it. ie. the penalty.

As for removing curios by force, yes I guess it does punish raiders a bit. But as I see it is you pack a sandwich for a long journey and eat half of it on the way. When a raider comes along pounds you over the head and steals your lunch does it suddenly become a new sandwich because a new person has it? Or is it the same half eaten sandwich as before?

Curiosities disappear from our study now. The rational is they are used up in the process. Having a representation of that should be implemented. It impacts how we choose to study items and are they really worth taking if we steal them. Those are the practicals.
LadyV

Postby LordD1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:23 pm

I actually don't mind this idea, and I don't see how so many people confused it as something else.
It however in my opinion would make more sense if the curio, while studied would "decay" while being studied kind of like LadyV is talking about. However, seeing as we usually break curio learning points into lp/hr why not have it degrade every hour, but also giving that "degraded" learning points into the LP bank of the person studying?

I think honestly it would make early game more interesting as instead of waiting for some of the longer timed curios to get the full study of it, you would get the lp/hr every hour of that curio it gives until the study time of it is gone.

So example,
Frog Crown - 5 hrs study

Lets say the frog crown gives you 3k lp/hr. Every hour, you would get 3k LP, until the 5 hours are over resulting in 15k lp after the studying is over.
If the crown was yanked out after 2 hrs of studying (3 hr ticks remaning), you would get 6k of it, but there would only be another 9k LP left on the crown to get off of it (hence the "degrading while studying" LadyV is suggesting)
How 2 Fite Legit
LordD1

Postby DarkCristi2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:09 pm

It could be better if a curio had 120 base LP for example,then when it finished in 20 min to be 60 LP in 10 min and so on... :)
Allan please add detail
DarkCristi2

Postby TeckXKnight » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:37 pm

DarkCristi2 wrote:It could be better if a curio had 120 base LP for example,then when it finished in 20 min to be 60 LP in 10 min and so on... :)

Could you rephrase that a bit clearer? I don't understand what you mean.
TeckXKnight

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas