Idea is retarded, close thread.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Idea is retarded, close thread.

Postby overtyped » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:45 am

BOB DOLE
Last edited by overtyped on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Re: Jorbtar please read: NEW LP/STATS formula

Postby Phinix » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:16 am

Not really my cup of tea.
The Lord of sneaking, the silent steps of paws, fast as a bird, and as smart as a advanced human... this is what a Fox is and what it will always be.
Phinix

Postby bmjclark » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:10 am

I don't like the idea of being penalized in LP gains because you're gaining LP at a faster rate than others. This is coming from someone who is generally far behind the curve when it comes to stats (the highest UA i've ever had was 600). If someone sustains a perfect study for months, years in this worlds case :P, they deserve to have significantly higher UA than me, and i don't deserve to catch up just because they do. With how high of quality things have gotten though (a quick glance at AfO shows q200 ring of brodgars) it shouldn't be too hard to farm some pearls or other curios, trade some people for higher quality stuff (herb table, bricks for smelters) and RoBs and get on your feet with decent quality crafted curios and other stuff.

There already is a natural diminishing return on combat stats anyways. For example someone with 800 UA stands a better chance against someone with 1000 UA than someone with 400 UA does against someone with 600 UA, not to mention the fact that the stats get more expensive as you level anyway so it kind of already has the effect your looking for, just in a less direct way. I don't think adding more diminishing returns to getting your stats up is necessary personally, and I think your suggestion would be extremely frustrating to people who do want to grind their stats up as hard as they can.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby TeckXKnight » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:13 am

Similar concepts are applied in other games. For example, and please don't crucify me for using this specific game, World of Warcraft utilizes powercreep in order to encourage the top echelon players every pvp season to get the new best pvp gear. Meanwhile more casual players now have easy access to yesterdays top gear. It motivates older players who want to be on the top to keep working towards a tangible growth. Meanwhile casual players who will never be on top feel like they're making good progress and as if they're competitive. It creates a status quo that makes everyone happy via the illusion of growth.

It is easy to get disheartened when you feel like you cannot make any meaningful gains without outrageous amounts of work.

For example, in the early days of Lineage: The Blood Pledge, I was one of the top players for the sole reason that, from level 1 to 48 took ~4 months of play. Level 48 to 49 took 3 months. Level 49 to 50 took 3 months. Level 50 to 51 was ~6 months. This meant 8-12 hours of optimal play for 3 months to gain a single level towards the higher end. Of course everyone lost heart and gave up except for the crazy few with no lives. You just don't feel like there's any tangible gain from your work and so you stop working.
TeckXKnight

Postby overtyped » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:25 pm

Uh.. I was a little bit stoned when I wrote this, not realizing how stupid the idea is.
Let me debunk myself here.

This idea would work if combat was all there was. If this was implemented it would prevent characters from having other skills like farming/survival without being penalized if they wanna have combat stats too. So the idea is worthless.
The only way to prevent god characters is reducing the gap between low unarmed and high unarmed. Like if the difference between 500 unarmed vs 1000 unarmed fighting each other was harder but not impossible to beat. This hurts the hardcore group of players of course, but still gives them an advantage.
overtyped

Postby the_portals » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:10 pm

overtyped wrote: the difference between 500 unarmed vs 1000 unarmed fighting each other was harder but not impossible to beat.

I think I read this in another thread, but if this happens then what would stop a couple of experienced fighters spawning alts, and just ganking everyone?
I was in the Northern Army once and you can never take that from me
the_portals

Postby overtyped » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:47 pm

the_portals wrote:
overtyped wrote: the difference between 500 unarmed vs 1000 unarmed fighting each other was harder but not impossible to beat.

I think I read this in another thread, but if this happens then what would stop a couple of experienced fighters spawning alts, and just ganking everyone?

The same thing that isn't stopping god characters from soloing a whole village by 1 shot punching everyone.
overtyped

Postby the_portals » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:22 pm

overtyped wrote:
the_portals wrote:I think I read this in another thread, but if this happens then what would stop a couple of experienced fighters spawning alts, and just ganking everyone?
The same thing that isn't stopping god characters from soloing a whole village by 1 shot punching everyone.

Right, but what I'm saying is that if two hosers are from a large enough village and they have good experience in combat, they can jump said god character with alts created only a few days ago, and ruin possibly months of work.
I was in the Northern Army once and you can never take that from me
the_portals

Postby overtyped » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:27 pm

the_portals wrote:
overtyped wrote:
the_portals wrote:I think I read this in another thread, but if this happens then what would stop a couple of experienced fighters spawning alts, and just ganking everyone?

Right, but what I'm saying is that if two hosers are from a large enough village and they have good experience in combat, they can jump said god character with alts created only a few days ago, and ruin possibly months of work.

that's true. Well, I'm all out of ideas then.
overtyped

Postby Woot » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:35 pm

That's untrue, Even if it's intended otherwise, If all three fighters know how to fight, Two 500 vs one 1000 still doesn't make an even fight, even if you neutralize the other advantages, such as agi by having the two fighters agi together equal the titans. The titan still wins, Unless he derps hard and gets caught walking or in bloodlust or both.
To: Woot
deffinitely, best fight i've ever gotten
Thanks man.
Woot

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas