Make Neckbeards Q.Q (Improve the Games Progression Scheme)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Make Neckbeards Q.Q (Improve the Games Progression Scheme)

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:44 pm

- Every hearthling begins as a young adult.
- Age ticks slowly, even as a hearthling remains offline.
- Attributes slowly increase, before they begin to decline in old age (Attribute progression via food is still the same, but there is an accompanying multiplier attached to age.)
- Skill progression remains constant.
- Eventually, all hearthlings succumb to old age (perhaps a semi-random "max-age" stat is attached to each hearthling at "birth", hidden from the owner, for maximum tears?)

What this does:
-It will make maintaining alts less desirable (They will die, and therefore you can't have a permanent factory of backup fighters and/or craftsmen that you entirely shield from PvP and therefore last forever, or at least doing so becomes prohibitively time consuming.)
-It will allow players who join later in a worlds cycle to get into the game more quickly, as items soft-caps will no longer be in the several hundreds. (Or in the case of things like cows, it will be more acceptable to soft-cap production.)
-It reduces the "entry-grind" for experienced players who have lost their original characters, no longer needing to spend months developing a character that will be able to even move the combat bar on a titan in PvP.
-It will stop certain content from becoming obsolete (Bears, Deer, all forms of hunting will no longer become trivial in the "late-game.")
-It will cause extremely high quality items to be exceptionally rare, as players will only have a short window of age where they hit their "peak" of skill and attributes to produce them.
-Item scarcity will become "a thing" once more.
-Because of the above points, trade will become more important, and one player will be exceedingly less likely to singlehandedly produce everything they need by themselves.
-This will in turn improve the social aspect of the game, favoring larger communities over super-neckbeard hamlets.
-Constructions and land ownership will still be permanent, leaving long-term progression intact.
Last edited by Robben_DuMarsch on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robben_DuMarsch

Re: Make Neckbeards Q.Q (Improve the Games Progression Schem

Postby overtyped » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:01 pm

It wasn't a good idea when you posted it the first time, and it's still bad.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:14 pm

I have a vial, Overtyped.
I hear there is a market for neckbeard tears, somewhere on the dark web.

If your incessant cries do not cease, I will undoubtedly become a wealthy man.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Ninijutsu » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:32 pm

Do you think it would be fun to pour your hard work into a character to have him randomly die for no benefit?
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby overtyped » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:07 pm

If any mods read this, Bob dole would request a thread name change because it's inaccurate.
The thread should be called "Ideas to make haven worse"

I have an idea to add to the ops.
Let's make it so every third player that makes a character inexplicably dies after 2 days ingame.
Also, crop quality should reset every 11 days. Cows should all be female and be pregnant when you tame them, however they all die 10 seconds before giving birth. Also triple the amount of food they eat while being pregnant. Sheep should not age though, because.. reasons.
overtyped

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:10 pm

Ninijutsu wrote:Do you think it would be fun to pour your hard work into a character to have him randomly die for no benefit?

Of course.

My new character would bring so much opportunity.

Far better than imagining the three month grind required to be a quarter as powerful as the immortal titan down the river, shrugging, and moving on.

Or the three weeks I would pound down q200 curios so I could till the ground beneath the q350 crops.

Or the concept of everything I manufacture being virtually worthless.

Or the knowledge that my crafting capabilities are entirely pointless and without value or scarcity as everyone has an alt that does the same thing just as well.

Or seeing a bear, one shot karate chopping it to death, and shrugging at the meaninglessness of the meat balloon I take back to my neckbeard cave.

Hrmmm.... I guess when I put it that way, the character dieing isn't actually for "no benefit."
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Joe69 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:25 pm

This wont change a thing other than making life even harder for hermits if a well established player can earn over 20M in 3 days how will this stop those titan characters?
Only thing this will do is kill off all hermits just as they get to a place they can gain decent lp
I fully look forward to jorb and loftar fixing several mechanics and bringing back updates, because at that time you chuckleheads are going to be more marginalized than lawn furniture in winter.
Joe69

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:- Age ticks slowly, even as a hearthling remains offline.

See above.

There wont be titans because they will die first.

Further, the ridic prowess gains per day will be diminished.
Crafters will die before they can create 100000 q600 straw dolls and prisms.

Less of a gap between the neckiest-beardiest and the casualiest-freekilliest.

But then you knew all that because you actually read the OP.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby overtyped » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:40 pm

Some more ideas to add to ops.
-Swimming should take 300 con to cross a river and swimming should be toggled forever, making standing near a river a deathtrap waiting to happen.
-Add a 30 min que time before players can log in
-Frogs should have twice the combat stats as a bear, and move across water as fast as a boat killing everything.
overtyped

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:45 pm

overtyped wrote:Frogs should have twice the combat stats as a bear, and move across water as fast as a boat killing everything.

I have to admit, I laughed.
Robben_DuMarsch

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas