suggestions

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

suggestions

Postby tobi » Mon May 25, 2015 6:46 pm

H&H2 should have bridges and more mobs like wolf, lynx, lion, elephant, crocodile, giraffe, hippo, camel, puma, tiger, jeti, zombie and vampire.
tobi

Re: suggestions

Postby krikke93 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:07 pm

You had me at bridges, but I totally lost it at Jeti :lol:

on a serious note: yes to wolf.
Hope you have a great day
krikke93

Postby loftar » Mon May 25, 2015 8:27 pm

tobi wrote:and more mobs

As a somewhat general statement, Haven should overall have less "mobs" and more "life". I am always considering options that would incentivize people to respect the animals more and view them less as walking meatbags.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby krikke93 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:32 pm

loftar wrote:
less "mobs" and more "life".

Any animal that has a use for slaughtering will be slaughtered. Maybe you could try and add some more mobs like rats and toads, those don't get caught much. Perhaps let birds fly over in the sky or out of trees as you pass by them. That would bring in some "life".
krikke93

Postby Jesus_Smith_Nandez » Mon May 25, 2015 9:31 pm

krikke93 wrote:
loftar wrote:
less "mobs" and more "life".

Any animal that has a use for slaughtering will be slaughtered. Maybe you could try and add some more mobs like rats and toads, those don't get caught much. Perhaps let birds fly over in the sky or out of trees as you pass by them. That would bring in some "life".

Stuff like insects, birds, and small animals that can't even be interacted with would still add a bunch of ambient life to the game imo
I don't doubt people would just hide them though, as they hide trees and walls in current haven
HnH Videos
God bless
Jesus_Smith_Nandez

Postby krikke93 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Jesus_Smith_Nandez wrote:I don't doubt people would just hide them though, as they hide trees and walls in current haven

Nope, but I would switch it on from time to time, just as I did with current Haven. I know Haven and Hearth isn't all about graphics (at all actualy), but it helps give you a certain feel to it :)
krikke93

Postby Seizure » Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 am

loftar wrote:

As a somewhat general statement, Haven should overall have less "mobs" and more "life". I am always considering options that would incentivize people to respect the animals more and view them less as walking meatbags.

But I love meatbags...

Have you guys taken another look at the old civilization mechanic? I always thought it had a good foundation, just needed a little flushing out and balancing.
Seizure

Postby loftar » Tue May 26, 2015 2:22 am

Seizure wrote:Have you guys taken another look at the old civilization mechanic?

I'm considering it from time to time, but I haven't found a formulation that I'm happy with yet.

I don't quite like how all animals around the world start out at level X and then decrease only when civilization is built up. It seems to me that for this mechanic to work more properly there should be some form of "seeds" of civilization (probably coinciding with where new characters start playing), but I'm very much not sure about what kind of shape or form they should have or how they should interact with the building up of civilization.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby LadyV » Tue May 26, 2015 2:38 am

loftar wrote:

To respect animals they must be a challenge or competitor. Bears need to act like bears. They will feed at fish nodes, raid livestock pens if not protected against, and threaten Humans when their habitat is threatened. Deer can and do attack when cornered. Boars are foragers and should relish many of those same foods we go for. Rabbits should raid gardens.

The other issue is their is no penalty for mass terrain changes. When an ecosystem collapses it affects almost everything.

And yes as other suggestions have been made more life would be nice. Birds, insects, snakes, bats....
LadyV

Postby jtpitner » Tue May 26, 2015 4:27 am

Different type of bears.... Wolves(fast speed so harder to move out of the way from the random movement)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
jtpitner

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas