Problems with Haven and hearth

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Problems with Haven and hearth

Postby Rynlwar » Fri May 29, 2015 4:49 am

i will be honest and watch this will get me banned haven and hearth sucks because of 1 reason there is no protection same as salem same as any game these people will make its just stupid you work so hard then some troll or griefer shows up kills you and its done you lose all motivation not to mention the community is so small and the majority of this small community are jackasses who exist only to troll and grief, it was a fun game...for about 2 days then interest quickly plummets and then you get killed yea i understand the dev wants to create a real world simulation of actions and consequences but there has to be some protection for players or the community will just die out eventually, as i'm typing this there is only 124 players right now that is low beyond low for a game that has been out for years, now watch even if this doesn't get deleted banned or blocked some way or another there will be the people who are really good in this say oh grow up and other crap and say im just butt hurt cause i was griefed no its i don't care that i was trolled i don't care that everything i spent hard work on stolen then i was perma killed no its these kinds of games only exist for the amusement of people who have no life and want to just hassle people haters will hate go on i'll be laughing when you do ¦] ¦] ¦] ¦]
Rynlwar

Re: Problems with Haven and hearth

Postby BangPow » Fri May 29, 2015 5:42 am

For the love of god, use a period every now and then! That was the longest run on sentence ever!
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
BangPow

Postby Rynlwar » Fri May 29, 2015 6:07 am

lol sorry i forget to when i type oh my point about this...i heard the new game was coming out and a friend suggested maybe a server for pve only i think that would really help with this game i know i would come back and play..but the way it is now i dont want to spend time on something i know will just get stolen. i read a post from the dev about real life simulation but, real life isn't like this you have safe guards but this game there is none even locks you can get through just by killing the player salem addresses this issue but then they can just bash the wall as if its paper. there are not humans out there capable of thrashing entire houses with their bare fists. there i added some periods happy? lol
Rynlwar

Postby Patchouli_Knowledge » Fri May 29, 2015 8:01 am

1. Griefer isn't a foreign concept in sandbox games or any multiplayer games in general.
2. You chose one of the lower point of the day to gauge player quantity.
3. 66% of your total post saying Haven sucks doesn't really help reinforce trust in your suggestion.
-=The law of inverse desire=- The chances of dropping what you want is the reciprocal of how much you want it.
Patchouli_Knowledge

Postby Amanda44 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:43 am

Rynlwar wrote: these kinds of games only exist for the amusement of people who have no life and want to just hassle people

That is not an accurate statement.

I've spoken out on this many times but as it makes little difference to people who are rage quitting I'm not going to do it again now but if you are interested you can find plenty of examples in threads like this one. :)

I will say one more thing though, the safe guards we have in place in rl have been developed through the ages out of the need to protect ourselves and our belongings, if they hadn't been needed they wouldn't be there, Haven is not set in todays world, it is up to you to make your own safe guards. There are many threads and discussions with regard to steps new players can take to lessen the chances of being attacked or raided, and, further down the line we have brickwalls, which are pretty much impenetrable as long as you are vigilant with ram checks.

I do personally think there should be more, or maybe just harsher, consequences for those who commit crimes as a stronger deterrent, I also find it ridiculous that you face the same penalties/risks for exacting justice as you do from committing crimes - via the summon/scents system - but, I understand the problems therein. However, what ever penalties there are should not be to the point where a criminal life isn't viable as that would also be unrealistic, even in todays world with all the safe guards you mention we still have criminal activity.

Anyway, I'm sorry Haven didn't work out for you, I think you are missing out on an amazing game by giving up at the first hurdle but good luck in your next choice.
Maybe come back when Haven2 is released and see if anything has changed in this regard. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Rynlwar » Sat May 30, 2015 7:44 pm

i loved haven and hearth...when i first played it i thought it was awesome then one day i was building brickwalls finally i didnt have anything to take cept maybe a pickaxe i found lying on the ground while traveling then suddenly i was dead i worked for a good couple weeks 12 sometimes 13 hours a day i was addicted but then just gone i mean i didnt have a chance to defend myself because i didnt have the perk i was a good hunter i could kill boars bears deer all pretty quickly i think they should at least remove the perma death or make a pve server because its basically i trolled you hahaha then leave and you are sitting there staring at your computer going what the hell happened
Rynlwar

Postby Patchouli_Knowledge » Sat May 30, 2015 8:25 pm

The permadeath factor is intended and intentional as it (supposely) makes death a lot more impactful. I can sympathize that you were killed just because they can do so but misforture of the malevolent type are going to happen and in order to enjoy the game, you need to be able to deal with a character's death. An advice I can give to you is that try to not get too attached to your character. If it is still too painful to bear, you may want to try another sandbox. Best wishes to you.
-=The law of inverse desire=- The chances of dropping what you want is the reciprocal of how much you want it.
Patchouli_Knowledge

Postby Punchpacket » Sun May 31, 2015 4:29 am

Rynlwar wrote:i will be honest and watch this will get me banned haven and hearth sucks because of 1 reason there is no protection same as salem same as any game these people will make its just stupid you work so hard then some troll or griefer shows up kills you and its done you lose all motivation not to mention the community is so small and the majority of this small community are jackasses who exist only to troll and grief, it was a fun game...for about 2 days then interest quickly plummets and then you get killed yea i understand the dev wants to create a real world simulation of actions and consequences but there has to be some protection for players or the community will just die out eventually, as i'm typing this there is only 124 players right now that is low beyond low for a game that has been out for years, now watch even if this doesn't get deleted banned or blocked some way or another there will be the people who are really good in this say oh grow up and other crap and say im just butt hurt cause i was griefed no its i don't care that i was trolled i don't care that everything i spent hard work on stolen then i was perma killed no its these kinds of games only exist for the amusement of people who have no life and want to just hassle people haters will hate go on i'll be laughing when you do ¦] ¦] ¦] ¦]

I presume you were setting up on the edge of a river, on the bordering edge of a nearby village or walled encampment.. If not then you're merely getting unfortunate spawns as I myself in my long time in the Hearthlands have never actually encountered an issue similar to this most likely because of the precautions I take. If you're going to set-up you want to ensure that you prioritise safety of the location over the quantity/quality of local resources.. You can't really gain anything from valuable materials if you aren't alive to harvest them, which is also why rivers aren't a good choice of settling beside as anyone (even myself from time to time) will have a peek at what you've got hidden in those baskets.

Haven & Hearth has my favourite community out of every game I've played purely for the various political and social interactions between different communities within the game community that can be found throughout the world, these "trolls/griefers" that you mention are merely the minority of players, a player who seeks to do nothing but ruin the enjoyment of another player for no gain whatsoever is a troll/griefer.. Someone who ends up harming you in-order to gain a particular resource that benefits them however is a raider, doing it for their own survival in-order to get by in the best way they know how-to or like-to, which is at the end of the day their play style and I respect, H&H is essentially it's own ecosystem which is incredibly important to the core fundamentals of the game itself.

The changes that you bring forward would change the core fundamentals to the point where it would no-longer be the game that I'd say a large portion of the current community currently are here for, you reference protection systems as to those found in Salem but you don't provide any constructive insight as to why it would benefit the game other than to make your experience easier at the expense of the core fundamentals that make Haven & Hearth separate from the vast majority of sandbox titles out there on the market today, what precisely is the reason that you chose to play Haven & Hearth over Salem if you find no enjoyment in the game after two days? Clearly it isn't the game for you, and that's fine as we all have a different taste.

Also I'd advise re-structuring your post if you wished to present the idea in a stronger light, in it's current form it's presented as a rather angered complaint rather than a constructive suggestion, especially with the cheap crack at the vast majority of the playerbase by labelling us as having "no life" for enjoying a game that you don't, and that'd you'd be laughing, which contradicts your argument of not actually caring in the first place.

And I'd lay off him in regards to any spelling/grammatical errors.. Not everyone is a native English speaker, I'm prone to a few errors myself. Back on-topic however.. If you do decide to give Haven & Hearth another shot feel free to send me a PM with any question that you have about the game, or anything you'd like to learn about it and I'd be happy to provide you with any of the knowledge that I've collected over my years of lurking within the community.
Punchpacket

Return to Critique & Ideas