Equipment decay

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Equipment decay

Postby mvgulik » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:54 pm

Careful what you wish for ... not all resources are limitless. (not yet at least. as far as I know.)
(Although, could be interesting ... after a world has been running for XXX years.)
mvgulik

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:00 am

Patchouli_Knowledge wrote:World 3 used to have building structures decay even on claim which cause a lot of unnecessary tedium especially with large villages.

That was time-based decay, though, which I do think is a different beast than use-based decay. The worst part about that decay was logging in after a week and seeing everything decayed so you just logged back out again not to have to deal with it. Use-based decay is pretty much just an additional input in a crafting recipe, and I think it makes sense in some cases, at least. We've considered it several times, and I guess we're still considering it, and may or may not introduce it at some point. I'm not sure.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby overtyped » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:29 am

loftar wrote:
Patchouli_Knowledge wrote:World 3 used to have building structures decay even on claim which cause a lot of unnecessary tedium especially with large villages.

That was time-based decay, though, which I do think is a different beast than use-based decay. The worst part about that decay was logging in after a week and seeing everything decayed so you just logged back out again not to have to deal with it. Use-based decay is pretty much just an additional input in a crafting recipe, and I think it makes sense in some cases, at least. We've considered it several times, and I guess we're still considering it, and may or may not introduce it at some point. I'm not sure.

You said once you wanted to make this a game you wanted to play, why do you bother with what others think? As long as you unlearned everything you did with salem, you should make a great game. Just make the game the opposite of salem basically.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby LadyV » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:55 am

overtyped wrote:You said once you wanted to make this a game you wanted to play, why do you bother with what others think? As long as you unlearned everything you did with salem, you should make a great game. Just make the game the opposite of salem basically.

Because others may have good ideas to. And the game may be better for it. :)
LadyV

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:05 pm

overtyped wrote:why do you bother with what others think?

I'm not sure what you read from my post that made you think I did that, though. I just summarized my thoughts on the matter for others to read. Like a one-way telephone line from Moscow, if you will. ^^

LadyV wrote:Because others may have good ideas to. And the game may be better for it. :)

This is also to some extent true, though. Even though we almost never implement an idea from the forums "just as stated" (the Creamy Cock maybe being the exception), at least reading others' thoughts on matters not all too seldom helps in organizing my own thoughts. In some way that isn't all too easy to categorize. My actual relation to the forums is still a matter of open research. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby LadyV » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:37 pm

loftar wrote:
LadyV wrote:Because others may have good ideas to. And the game may be better for it. :)

This is also to some extent true, though. Even though we almost never implement an idea from the forums "just as stated" (the Creamy Cock maybe being the exception), at least reading others' thoughts on matters not all too seldom helps in organizing my own thoughts. In some way that isn't all too easy to categorize. My actual relation to the forums is still a matter of open research. :)

That's fine inspiration is still a positive thing. :)
LadyV

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:38 pm

Hey, it's oké. It's good to bounce ideas off of others, and let them bounce their ideas off of you. Even if it almost never looks like either of our final pictures.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas