Question

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Question

Postby dinox5x » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:32 am

Is there ever gonna be capturing players and putting them in (player builded) cage's in any sea tribe game? ¦]
dinox5x

Re: Question

Postby TeckXKnight » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:11 am

dinox5x wrote:Is there ever gonna be capturing players and putting them in (player builded) cage's in any sea tribe game? ¦]

Hopefully not, no. It'd have two strongly negative effects: Players wouldn't be able to die and inherit their lp, stats, and property and instead would be stuck in limbo forever, and it'd be a cheap way to try to avoid the consequences of murder.
TeckXKnight

Postby dinox5x » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:17 am

they would not be able to go off, they can be killed from outside, they die from hunger? also to capture player you need like 1 minute or 2 but they can get off if they have sharp thing in inventory
dinox5x

Postby Baldarich » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:32 pm

dinox5x wrote:also to capture player you need like 1 minute or 2

Just imagine the conversation between 2 people. Like
Buddy i will need you to give me all of your axes and swords, stand still for 2 minutes, watch me cage you in and die from hunger. :lol:
Teleskop wrote:if the chance to win a lottery is 1 to 1 000 000 it doesnt mean im any closer to winning after buying 1 000 000 tickets
Baldarich

Postby dinox5x » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:37 pm

then that buddy needs to move and read all wikis and stuff
dinox5x

Postby borka » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:07 pm

like you should read C&I ... and Read Me First | Suggestion Guidelines for it:

Familiarise yourself with any previous discussion
Do a quick search to see if there are existing threads with similar ideas, and make certain your idea hasn't been shot down before with good reason. You can borrow from past suggestions to improve your own thread or bump them if they haven't played out yet.

Give your idea a meaningful title
Give threads clear titles so people know what they are before entering them. Vague titles serve little purpose in attracting attention to your idea and make it more difficult for others to find your thread when Searching. If a thread inspires a new idea only loosely related to the initial post, start a new thread to prevent the idea from becoming lost.

... who's the one to move himself now ... especially considering the join dates ?!? :roll:
borka

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:27 am

Pruning this thread of offtopic posts. Please keep discussion at least somewhat to the topic.
TeckXKnight

Postby dinox5x » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:30 am

thanks for removing stuff
dinox5x

Postby dinox5x » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:32 am

players would be able to break the cage after 10 min of destroying it cos it will be made out of wood?
dinox5x

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:49 pm

dinox5x wrote:players would be able to break the cage after 10 min of destroying it cos it will be made out of wood?

I think the better questions to answer are: What is the purpose of adding this and what are the consequences.

Adding a system where you can willfully detain someone is a form of punishment for them being weaker than, or less prepared than, you. The benefits to the captor are that you can maintain a form of emasculation against your captive target, control where they are moved to, and prevent them from respawning elsewhere/doing other things. In an RP sense, the emasculation is maintained or intensified in the hopes of breaking someone for whatever purpose, such as keeping them as labor or breaking their spirit from fighting you again.

The argument for it is that you've already beaten them and could have taken their life at any point, so why can't their life permanently be in your hands?

The argument against is that their time is not your property. It is ultimately a restriction on another player's time by holding them captive. They are blocked from playing unless they make a new character or you release/kill them. Even by attaching arbitrary 'You can break free at this time' restrictions a player must sit tight and hope that their captors aren't smart enough to aggro them, KO them before the limit, or seal their hearthfire.

It's not particularly fun sitting in a cage for 6 hours listening to your opponent say 'lol faget lost 1v1 u suk dik i fuk u mom' over and over, waiting for them to fall asleep at 3am so that you can leave and play the game. On the other end of it, it's also pretty pointless to capture someone if every few minutes they can just break out and hearth, so you're forced to cheese them to keep them captured.

Ultimately if you are just kept captive indefinitely then your character is beyond dead. If you just died then you could inherit your stats/lp/property and keep playing. In this way, someone can also ignore the penalties for killing someone. By capturing targets and just blocking them from doing anything ever again you never leave murder scents. You can also just forcibly move them somewhere that you have secured and kill them there to hide the scents. Bring them home and kill them in your cellar where even nosy rangers can't happen upon the stench of murder.

So this begs the question, why not just leave it at murder? Either you kill them or you don't, either way the confrontation ends there and the game continues for you both.
TeckXKnight

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas