Probably horrible idea about preventing alts

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Probably horrible idea about preventing alts

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:25 am

When the game comes out it will still be in alpha, so why not.
Basically, my idea on preventing alt spam and forcing using mains is pretty simple but needs some polishing - In order to eat a farmed item, you need a farming proficiency that is required to farm it in the first place. Cooked - cooking (idk how this would work though considering cooked items also take oven quality into consideration), and same with curios. Basically what this does is makes raising a character from 0 to hero almost as hard as the very first time you raise your main.
The biggest fault I can see in this is it removes all "forced" teamwork that was there with personal beliefs, in other words you can do everything by yourself. Any ideas on top of this? Critique?
edit: oh and it would also probably fuck up trade
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Re: Probably horrible idea about preventing alts

Postby mvgulik » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:19 pm

NOOBY93 wrote:Basically what this does is makes raising a character from 0 to hero almost as hard as the very first time you raise your main.

Seems to me that the use of a vending or barter stand would be an easy way around this.
(CQ: Learning feature on vending and barter stand would have to go to.)
mvgulik

Postby krikke93 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:26 pm

I really like this idea. It's so simple and I hardly see downsides to this (apart from trading). :)
Hope you have a great day
krikke93

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:37 pm

mvgulik wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:Basically what this does is makes raising a character from 0 to hero almost as hard as the very first time you raise your main.

Seems to me that the use of a vending or barter stand would be an easy way around this.

Umm how? You simply wouldn't be able to eat, study, etc. an item that is "higher level" than you are in the proficiency required to create it yourself. The alt you're feeding the food to, would need to have say 300 farming, to eat Q300 carrots making creation of fast archer alts much more difficult.
NOOBY93

Postby mvgulik » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Hue ... aha, you meant:
"In order to eat a farmed item of a particular quality, the character needs to have a farming proficiency of at least the same level."

I got to ponder on that a bit more. As it seems riddled with tricky problems, like with oven-baked stuff you already mentioned.
mvgulik

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:40 pm

mvgulik wrote:Hue ... aha, you meant:
"In order to eat a farmed item of a particular quality, the character needs to have a farming proficiency of at least the same level."

I got to ponder on that a bit more. As it seems riddled with tricky problems, like with oven-baked stuff you already mentioned.

It's just an idea you know. I don't know enough about game design to min-max the details (like balancing, or the oven problem).
If they do take it into consideration they could solve the oven problem much better than I could I guess
And yeah sorry that's what I meant, English isn't my first language.
NOOBY93

Postby shubla » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:57 pm

I still think captchas would work best. Every 5 minutes or so.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Jesus_Smith_Nandez » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:12 pm

It's good but it cripples trade. The whole point of people trading is to get things you can't make in exchange for things you can, and when people can't use things they can't create it eliminates like 60% of trade.
HnH Videos
God bless
Jesus_Smith_Nandez

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Jesus_Smith_Nandez wrote:It's good but it cripples trade. The whole point of people trading is to get things you can't make in exchange for things you can, and when people can't use things they can't create it eliminates like 60% of trade.

Yeah, that's a major flaw, but if there was a way to work around that and enable trade, the idea would be really viable IMO.
Also, I don't think it would fuck up 60% of the trade. During the time I played this game, most of the foodstuffs I'd buy I could already make myself, just didn't have an industry big enough to make the time spent making the food more profitable than spending pearls instead. Most end-game trade is like this, everyone can make everything but the guy with the biggest industry sells.
NOOBY93

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:49 pm

shubla wrote:I still think captchas would work best. Every 5 minutes or so.

I'm thinking every time you craft or eat an item.
DDDsDD999

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas