Make wagons have inherent claims

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Make wagons have inherent claims

Postby venatorvenator » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:38 pm

Inherent claims and caravan wagons seem great ideas to me. Just imagine the possibilities if it has the same soak and hp as a house. And the game would then have one new major playstyle: village people, hermits, and nomads. In a world with no crs or focused spawn that would be interesting.

Would be even better if we had large ships which would function similarly to an oxcart or caravan wagon.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby Jackard » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:29 am

mvgulik wrote:Are you going to explain why you think that its a over-complicated idea in your view

ok everyone, quiz time! which sounds simpler to you?

A. share an existing passive mechanic with another object
B. add a new mechanic requiring players to place new stake items inside a wagon
C. dont make wild assumptions
Jackard

Postby borka » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:21 am

share an existing passive mechanic requiring players to make wild assumptions :P

nothing against KISS principle but ideas often don't mind principles ... and with new code that makes mechanic changes easier there should be room for such ideas ...
borka

Postby sabinati » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:47 am

borka wrote:Like the idea a lot - what about having to have a group of wagons (i.e. 3 and up) to be able to claim ?

i don't see why there should be any minimum amount of wagons for a wagon to be owned by someone.

i want to further clarify: this is not a land claim, it's a claim on an object. we have existing land claims that can be used when one sets camp, but:
1. that offers no ownership of the wagon or the items therein while in transit or temporarily stopped.
2. it's an unnecessary additional effort/material cost to set up a claim post, you can't have multiple land claims, there has been discussion of not refunding lp for land claims, etc.
3. concept of object claim already exists in leanto. all this adds is permission management.

I just think it makes sense and would improve gameplay/add possible playstyles if one's wagon, it's contents, and the animal attached to it are protected from theft and vandalism.
sabinati

Postby mvgulik » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:52 am

Jackard wrote:C. dont make wild assumptions
:roll:

--- --- ---

3) Or owned vending/barter-stand.

sabinati wrote:I just think it makes sense and would improve gameplay/add possible playstyles if one's wagon, it's contents, and the animal attached to it are protected from theft and vandalism.

Are you thinking of absolute protection, or the same as with normal claims.
If like normal claims, stealing a owned-wagon seems in need of some attention.
mvgulik

Postby Jackard » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:41 am

sabinati wrote:i don't see why there should be any minimum amount of wagons for a wagon to be owned by someone.

i want to further clarify: this is not a land claim, it's a claim on an object. we have existing land claims that can be used when one sets camp, but:
1. that offers no ownership of the wagon or the items therein while in transit or temporarily stopped.
2. it's an unnecessary additional effort/material cost to set up a claim post, you can't have multiple land claims, there has been discussion of not refunding lp for land claims, etc.
3. concept of object claim already exists in leanto. all this adds is permission management.

I just think it makes sense and would improve gameplay/add possible playstyles if one's wagon, it's contents, and the animal attached to it are protected from theft and vandalism.

i don't understand. could we overcomplicate this somehow? obviously thats what devs want. TIA
Jackard

Postby sabinati » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:13 am

mvgulik wrote:
Jackard wrote:C. dont make wild assumptions
:roll:

--- --- ---

3) Or owned vending/barter-stand.

sabinati wrote:I just think it makes sense and would improve gameplay/add possible playstyles if one's wagon, it's contents, and the animal attached to it are protected from theft and vandalism.

Are you thinking of absolute protection, or the same as with normal claims.
If like normal claims, stealing a owned-wagon seems in need of some attention.

By protection I simply mean that it would be a criminal act and would leave scents. Same as with normal claims. Not sure what you mean that it would need attention.
sabinati

Postby Amanda44 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:14 am

sabinati wrote:

I think it's a good idea and I like it, especially with the likelihood that a lot of ppl will be playing the nomadic style whilst waiting to hook up with their friends, it enables some storage and protection rather than building little bases all over the place and putting down temporary land claims that you won't be able to get refunds from when you move on, it would suit my plans perfectly. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby mvgulik » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:06 am

sabinati wrote:Same as with normal claims. Not sure what you mean that it would need attention.

When stealing a item from some claimed area, your also removing it from the claim's influence at some point. As a wagon has its own internal claim, it comes with the wagon when you steal it. Ergo: Your going to leave theft scents every time you jump out and back into the wagon again.
That might not be that bad, as your stealing someones home with everything in it. But just like the theft of normal items, I think there has to be some endpoint here too.

(Or there is no point in not destroying the wagon at a save(er) location, to get at its contents (if not destroyed with the wagon's destruction), or to just get rid of the wagon after its emptied. As it will be of no use to those that took it.)

[spelling]
Last edited by mvgulik on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
mvgulik

Postby epicless » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:13 am

Mechanics to support a nomadic lifestyle would definitely be interesting.
Haven and Hearth News, Tutorials and the Stories of My Humble Journey
Epicless' Blog | Epicless' Youtube Channel
epicless

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas