Making botting a gameplay mechanic

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Making botting a gameplay mechanic

Postby overtyped » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:01 am

Botting has long been a requirement to do well in this game, so what about integrating it?
Loftar you have no way to stop bots, and big factions will have the best bots, so how about giving everyone even footing?
Whether you like it or not, bots are a big part of your game, so why resist it?
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Re: Making botting a gameplay mechanic

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:50 am

overtyped wrote:Botting has long been a requirement to do well in this game, so what about integrating it?
Loftar you have no way to stop bots, and big factions will have the best bots, so how about giving everyone even footing?

Even if you provide base line bots larger factions with better programmers will make better bots than standard players have access to. This isn't even wild speculation, this is already how it is. Giving everyone bots so that no one can play the game doesn't solve the problem. Integration of some basic character automation is a good thing. There are very people who will argue that pathing is bad to have on a character. Making the game explicitly bottable turns it into an idle sim manager rather than an actual game though and that's the last thing we need.
TeckXKnight

Postby Nikixos » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:56 am

The only reason people bot is because of bad game design. Adding any form of automatization is not and has never been the answer
Nikixos

Postby Patchouli_Knowledge » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:10 am

Some automation to reduce tedium does help actually, notably farming. Imagine having to constantly click Adventure > Dig, each time you want to get a clay. Automation and short cut are good if properly implemented to reduce repetitive actions while at the same time, not remove gameplay.

On the otherhand, too much of it, as mention, essentially turns the game into an Idle game. Some things can actually be solved without being automated as well. A notably example is cooking by having a larger oven instead of automated cooking.
-=The law of inverse desire=- The chances of dropping what you want is the reciprocal of how much you want it.
Patchouli_Knowledge

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:13 am

TeckXKnight wrote:Making the game explicitly bottable turns it into an idle sim manager rather than an actual game though and that's the last thing we need.

This. Haven =/= Starcraft.

Some automation so tasks aren't painful is nice, but bots aren't the way to accomplish this.
DDDsDD999

Postby painhertz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:31 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:
TeckXKnight wrote:Making the game explicitly bottable turns it into an idle sim manager rather than an actual game though and that's the last thing we need.

This. Haven =/= Starcraft.

Some automation so tasks aren't painful is nice, but bots aren't the way to accomplish this.

There will always be 12 year olds, or adults with the mentality of 12 year olds who simply don't get the concept of playing the game "for the fun of it". They have to have the largest e-peen and as such will go to any depths to achieve such. Well, those and people who are just plain old trolls who's sole purpose in the game is to ruin others fun. just facts of video games, never going to change.
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby overtyped » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:46 am

TeckXKnight wrote:
overtyped wrote:Botting has long been a requirement to do well in this game, so what about integrating it?

Even if you provide base line bots larger factions with better programmers will make better bots than standard players have access to. This isn't even wild speculation, this is already how it is. Giving everyone bots so that no one can play the game doesn't solve the problem. Integration of some basic character automation is a good thing. There are very people who will argue that pathing is bad to have on a character. Making the game explicitly bottable turns it into an idle sim manager rather than an actual game though and that's the last thing we need.

Im not talking about adding pathing. I agree it would be a bad idea.
overtyped

Postby loftar » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:31 am

overtyped wrote:Im not talking about adding pathing. I agree it would be a bad idea.

To be fair, you never really were particularly specific about what you were talking about.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby overtyped » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:07 am

loftar wrote:
overtyped wrote:Im not talking about adding pathing. I agree it would be a bad idea.

To be fair, you never really were particularly specific about what you were talking about.

If you have never used a bot before, i can see why what im saying might be confusing. Im talking about adding botting to the standard client.
botting= scripts that cut wood- fill barrels- plant etc.
overtyped

Postby LadyV » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:28 am

No thank you. I prefer to play my game, not have a program play it for me.
LadyV

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas