Making botting a gameplay mechanic

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Making botting a gameplay mechanic

Postby Xcom » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:49 pm

Don't worry. Wont be long after game release when someone releases a client that supports botting. Also, we are all quite unsure if hafen will need bots. Might be that most features we relied on getting botted have been replaced with different types of mechanics that aren't as bot demanding.
Xcom

Postby painhertz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Xcom wrote:Don't worry. Wont be long after game release when someone releases a client that supports botting. Also, we are all quite unsure if hafen will need bots. Might be that most features we relied on getting botted have been replaced with different types of mechanics that aren't as bot demanding.

There is no hafen. it's called simply Haven & Hearth, same as always.
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby Metruption » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:53 pm

i'd prefer being able to fill a barrel directly from a well. make it take 10x as long as a bucket if you wish but making it less clicky is really what matters.
Metruption

Postby overtyped » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:55 pm

painhertz wrote:
Xcom wrote:Don't worry. Wont be long after game release when someone releases a client that supports botting. Also, we are all quite unsure if hafen will need bots. Might be that most features we relied on getting botted have been replaced with different types of mechanics that aren't as bot demanding.

There is no hafen. it's called simply Haven & Hearth, same as always.

It's called hafen. Ban this guy.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Yuura » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:23 am

Not sure if OP is being srstroll here, or just bothered over nothing.

But what's with the "u haz bott2win" mentality that's pervading these forums? It's really quite sad, since in reality, this is what happens:
Flevalt wrote:Uuuuu! He AM SO MUch bettAr th3N me! Must be anm b0tt0rz!
Nao I MUST BOt to deStory him! Ehahahuhuheehehe D:<

When the aforementioned "He" is, in fact, not botting and simply ended up with favorable resource access, or they're a veteran player who's spent more time in the Hearthlands, et cetera.

If you feel that bots are really an issue and that you have to compete with them, sure, go ahead, contribute to the problem(?*) and just start botting yourself. What frighteningly brilliant logic there...

Though please, can we all stop getting frustrated over each other's e-peens and play the game as it's meant to be played? If you can't do that, there's really very little value in playing the game. Kthxbai.
*I've not experienced anything which shows bots are little more than a minuscule bother in-game, so it seems to be just a load of fools going about and venting over an issue that exists only in minority.
(For what it's worth, my encounter with someone who just happened to admit they used a botting-client (arksu, IIRC) was actually very positive, and funnily enough, my sister and I greatly surpassed their camp. We played casually, at nights and through parts of the day on weekends. Being able to automate some aspects of the game doesn't automatically (harhar) equate to incredibly glorious development. The so called "botting factions" haven't ever been an issue for me, and if they are for you, well... Dicks will be dicks, either way.)
EDIT: Removed signature :3
Last edited by Yuura on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yuura

Postby overtyped » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:07 am

Yuura wrote:Not sure if OP is being srstroll here, or just bothered over nothing.

But what's with the "u haz bott2win" mentality that's pervading these forums? It's really quite sad, since in reality, this is what happens:
Flevalt wrote:Uuuuu! He AM SO MUch bettAr th3N me! Must be anm b0tt0rz!
Nao I MUST BOt to deStory him! Ehahahuhuheehehe D:<

When the aforementioned "He" is, in fact, not botting and simply ended up with favorable resource access, or they're a veteran player who's spent more time in the Hearthlands, et cetera.

If you feel that bots are really an issue and that you have to compete with them, sure, go ahead, contribute to the problem(?*) and just start botting yourself. What frighteningly brilliant logic there...

Though please, can we all stop getting frustrated over each other's e-peens and play the game as it's meant to be played? If you can't do that, there's really very little value in playing the game. Kthxbai.
*I've not experienced anything which shows bots are little more than a minuscule bother in-game, so it seems to be just a load of fools going about and venting over an issue that exists only in minority.
(For what it's worth, my encounter with someone who just happened to admit they used a botting-client (arksu, IIRC) was actually very positive, and funnily enough, my sister and I greatly surpassed their camp. We played casually, at nights and through parts of the day on weekends. Being able to automate some aspects of the game doesn't automatically (harhar) equate to incredibly glorious development. The so called "botting factions" haven't ever been an issue for me, and if they are for you, well... Dicks will be dicks, either way.)

I Just have to say, I have never once trolled, and it offends me deeply that you would say such a thing.

PS: you are a little bit naive, If you don't bot, you are put at a serious disadvantage, so when you say " let's all just not bot" you are deluding yourself.
As the saying goes "gotta keep up with the joneses"
BOB DOLE
Last edited by overtyped on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Saxony4 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:14 am

If you develop a bot for hafen you should literally die. Likewise for bot users.

Go play something else if you can't/don't want to spend the time it takes to do something.
loftar wrote:git da mony
Saxony4

Postby Yuura » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:38 am

overtyped wrote:I Just have to say, I have never once trolled, and it offends me deeply that you would say such a thing.
Q_Qz O noes i bet I hav angered teh dolez nao :OO Am sorreh for mai sinss.

overtyped wrote:PS: you are a little bit naive, If you don't bot, you are put at a serious disadvantage, so when you say " let's all just not bot" you are deluding yourself.
As the saying goes "gotta keep up with the joneses"
BOB DOLE
PlayStation? I don't folo wat is thing "PS" for?

(PeniS: Sure, I know there is some disadvantage, and I don't expect everyone to "just not bot." We all know that's never happening. I'm simply suggesting we disregard those who choose to bot and don't resort to doing so ourselves. It just contributes to the problem, however large or small it may actually be.

Also, as much as I remember from W6, there were some pretty crappy scripts for ark.su, which might help you a bit, but did not create such a huge margin between botters and legit players to call it a "serious disadvantage" for those playing normally. Yes, I might be a bit distant from the issue, having been a bit busy for much of W7, but it's mostly the same, just more e-peentards. The current population and status of botters is a bit irrelevant anyways, given the fact that no bot for the new client exists yet.)
Yuura

Postby Flevalt » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:50 am

But what's with the "u haz bott2win" mentality that's pervading these forums?

You answered your own question:

can we all stop getting frustrated over each other's e-peens and play the game as it's meant to be played

Playing for fun and being able to compete should never be mutually exclusive in a game.
Players who spend more time playing the game should be rewarded, not punished for not using a bot.
Whereas someone using bots rids himself of the game experience and rips other players of a fair environment.

I don't rate troll posts so I can't give your post a proper rating.
However, you would make a grand example of a botter with all your hypocritical statements.
You argue that people should not complain about bots. At the same time you don't want an optional integrated bot system.
You tell people to play the game as it's intended to be played, yet you approve of botting.
You even deny the advantages gained from an exploit, like a bot.

I hope the way Hafen works will diminish the number of possible alt accounts at one's disposal greatly.
If not, then I don't see any problem with the OP's idea. If bots are broadly used and accepted within the game, might as well make it an official part. You already have all sorts of "conveniences" at hand with all the different clients, how is that any different?
Even if a feature is integrated, nobody forces you to use it. Just like nobody forces you to download another client.

To summarize you: You are okay with the competitive side of the game staying shit (kudos from you to botting), because you prefer playing casually and hence don't care about the game balance.
The latter is fine. But if you don't care about competing with others, then why do you even voice your opinion about it?
Just lay back into your comfy seat, play for fun however you like to play and let this idea not bother you since it doesn't affect your gameplay in the slightest.
Flevalt

Postby Flameturtle » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:00 am

Runescape did alright at catching bots with those random events. (Albeit with a huge staff to back it up) Maybe a similar implementation could work here. I figure they'll get worked around eventually but it might be somewhere to start.

Edit: I'm sure Jorbtar could find something extremely devious in that vein to satisfy them, too.
Last edited by Flameturtle on Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
Flameturtle

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas